Re: [cc2-dev-l] Random Dungeon Creator

  • Don Ewald
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 5, 2003
      Greetings Morgan and all!

      You---->First, please let me commend you on your efforts thus far; very
      impressive!

      Many thanks! I'm quite proud of the progress that I've made. My two
      biggest hurdles, programmatically creating a maze and finding a way to
      communicate it to CC2, have been overcome.

      You---->As Anna suggested, the code to the macros you mentioned (Blockwall)
      are available in several formats. Use them as you will.

      Great! I really am impressed by your macros and I wish I had half the
      understanding of them that I should. I've edited (mangled?) the Blockwall
      script to allow me to send it up to four points and it now creates the wall
      of my dungeons. The only downside is speed. It takes a long time on my
      machine to create the example map found below, I kicked the program off,
      read Smithsonian for fifteen minutes hoping it would finish quickly. I
      then went downstairs for a milk and cookie break and came back up to a nice
      map.

      You---->All of the necessary macro commands could be passed to CC2 via
      Intercom. What is the performance like with this process?...it may prove to
      be more efficient to call an external script...

      Slower than I would like. My program waits between each command for CC2 to
      finish processing and unfortunately the communication between the two isn't
      exactly Godspeed. I took your suggestion and tested out scripts and I am
      quite pleased. CC2 does process scripts faster than communicating through
      Intercom. So, I ditched Intercom entirely and am now outputting my data
      into script form. This doesn't mean that I've totally forgotten about
      Intercom; but, for basic dungeon creation I think scripts will be my answer.

      http://www.reonis.d2g.com/CC2/dungex3.png
      http://www.reonis.d2g.com/CC2/dungex3.fcw

      I have finished many of my goals with this and I do have a few more to go.

      To do:
      -Make tan background image one box instead of many
      -Add sparcity percent variable
      -Make the various colors for map editable
      -Implement doors
      -Make variable to determine if doors are Secret or Concealed
      -Add variable to adjust randomness in turns
      -Find faster way to create walls
      -Try and time a dungeon tile fill
      -Make the various variables user editable
      -Create a GUI environment for future users
      -Implement a prettier border scheme as well as cartographic touchs like
      compass and such
      -Have rooms hotspot with an outside text file or executable to flesh out
      descriptions--look into Campaign Suite

      Finished:
      -Dungeon creation is based on a 2d, Normal, Orthogonal, Perfect
      passage-carving Maze using the Growing-Tree algorithm (though other
      algorithms are a variable away)
      -Maze is then sparcified to lessen density and then loopified to create
      loops. This process still allows you to explore every square that is
      available.
      -Using a weighting system we place rooms in the best place possible (least
      interference with the existing dungeon)
      -Various stuff on the correct layers
      -Room width, room height, room number, dungeon width, dungeon height, maze
      algorithm, dungeon block size, sparcity, loopity and loopity percent
      variables implemented
      -Output to CC2 script

      Don Ewald
      dpe@...
    • MPrilla@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 5, 2003
        In a message dated 1/5/2003 8:13:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, latharion@... writes:

        Is it also possible to include diagonal cardinal directions in the
        variable for determining the open directions?  Just a thought.  Some
        dungeons also do diagonal passages etc.  Your implementation of this
        idea is great!  I've always wished CC2 could do this (and I guess it
        always could, with the right "motivation"  ;)  ).

                Latharion

        What is your attached file?

        Mike Group Owner InfinityScripters, AuroraScripters & AuroraModers

        AI Scripting Ring for Infinity Engine and Aurora Engine Games
        http://l.webring.com/hub?ring=aiscriptingringf
        http://nwn.bioware.com/guilds_registry/viewguild.html?gid=481

        "Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"  Dernhelm
        A cold voice answered :
        "Come not between the Nazg├╗l and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shriveled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye." The Witch King
        A sword rang as it was drawn.
        "Do what you will, but I will hinder it, if I may."  Dernhelm
        "Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"  The Witch King
        Then Merry heard of all sounds in that hour the strangest.  It seemed that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel.
        "But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Eomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you are not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him."  Eowyn/Dernhelm
        The winged creature screamed at her, but the Ringwraith made no answer, and was silent, as if in sudden doubt.  Very amazement for a moment conquered Merry's fear.  He opened his eyes and the blackness was lifted from them.

        "The Return of the King"
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 6, 2003
          Intercom can be used as follows:
          Intercom asks your program to generate a script.
          When the script has been created, your program requests that CC2 runs the
          script.

          Simon
        • Don Ewald
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 6, 2003
            Greetings Simon!

            You---->Intercom asks your program to generate a script. When the script
            has been created, your program requests that CC2 runs the script.

            Dynamite idea! I overlooked that one and I'll definitely try to implement
            it. This interacting with CC2 is way beyond anything I thought possible
            before.

            Don Ewald
            dpe@...
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 7, 2003
              While it is generating the script, it's probably an idea to put up a task
              bar so that they don't do anything in CC2 to interfere with your intercom
              command to run the script file.