Random Dungeon Update

  • Don Ewald
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2003
      Greetings!

      Well, I've finished implementing the room placement code and I've only a
      few quirks to work out before I focus on beautifying the output map. An
      example of current output can be found:

      http://www.reonis.d2g.com/CC2/dungex2.png
      http://www.reonis.d2g.com/CC2/dungex2.fcw

      ...the inaccessible rectangular areas can be reached by doorway; but, I
      don't like my current algorithm for picking the location so they weren't
      implemented. Any suggestions, comments or questions?

      Don Ewald
      dpe@...
    • Don Ewald
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 10, 2003
        Greetings!

        Well I found the opportunity to spend a bit of time with my Random Dungeon
        generator tonight and off and on throughout the week and I've added quite a
        few changes:

        -Made tan background image one box instead of many--also added a shaded
        drop box to give a bit of depth
        -Added sparcity percent variable
        -Added variable to adjust randomness in turns
        -Found faster way to create walls; also implemented shading to the wall
        -Used a basic dungeon fill for tiles
        -Implemented doors

        ...I'm not too keen on the last point. Currently, my generator will create
        a door for every place that a room touches a corridor. Surprisingly, I've
        spent the most time fiddling with this algorithm and I can't find an
        approach that will do what I want. Time for some more sleep and
        brainstorming. You can't see the light blue doors very well in the PNG
        example; but, they show up just fine in the FCW file. I'll have to ask
        about permission to insert a Profantasy-owned symbol into my randomly
        created dungeons at some point I'm sure.

        http://www.reonis.d2g.com/CC2/dungex4.png
        http://www.reonis.d2g.com/CC2/dungex4.fcw

        ...as always I welcome any comments, questions or suggestions.

        Don Ewald
        dpe@...
      • Anna M. Dobritt
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 11, 2003
          Will you include an option for not having doors added automatically? Or
          would that be too difficult? This way a person could add in a secret door
          symbol when needed, etc.

          The dungeon looks great, btw. :)

          Anna M. Dobritt
          RPG Freelancers Guide
          http://www.rpgfreelancers.com/index.html
          Freelance Cartographer
          http://rpgmaps.mortality.net

          > Well I found the opportunity to spend a bit of time with my Random Dungeon
          > generator tonight and off and on throughout the week and I've added quite
          > few changes:
          >
          > -Made tan background image one box instead of many--also added a shaded
          > drop box to give a bit of depth
          > -Added sparcity percent variable
          > -Added variable to adjust randomness in turns
          > -Found faster way to create walls; also implemented shading to the wall
          > -Used a basic dungeon fill for tiles
          > -Implemented doors
          >
          > ...I'm not too keen on the last point. Currently, my generator will
          create
          > a door for every place that a room touches a corridor. Surprisingly, I've
          > spent the most time fiddling with this algorithm and I can't find an
          > approach that will do what I want. Time for some more sleep and
          > brainstorming. You can't see the light blue doors very well in the PNG
          > example; but, they show up just fine in the FCW file. I'll have to ask
          > about permission to insert a Profantasy-owned symbol into my randomly
          > created dungeons at some point I'm sure.
          >
          > http://www.reonis.d2g.com/CC2/dungex4.png
          > http://www.reonis.d2g.com/CC2/dungex4.fcw
          >
          > ...as always I welcome any comments, questions or suggestions.
          >
          > Don Ewald
          > dpe@...

        • Don Ewald
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 11, 2003
            Greetings Anna!

            You---->Will you include an option for not having doors added
            automatically? Or would that be too difficult?

            No, not at all. Part of my goal for door placement is to allow a
            percentage variable to dictate how many doors will be on a map. In your
            example, you would set the variable to 0 and no doors at all would be placed.

            You---->The dungeon looks great, btw. :)

            Many thanks. Being a hobby programmer and a mediocre CC2 user; I'm
            surprised how well this has turned out. My toughest learning experience is
            learning how to send the data to CC2 via the macro language. Thankfully,
            there are many fine examples of macros and translated scripts for me to
            reference.

            Don Ewald
            dpe@...