Random Dungeon Creator

  • Don Ewald
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2003
      Greetings!

      I've recently started programming a random dungeon creator for CC2 that is
      implemented through the Intercom communication with my PowerBASIC
      (www.powerbasic.com) program. I took the excellent examples provided by L.
      Lee Saunders (http://www.profantasy.com/devzone/) for the CC2 end of it. I
      also used the dungeon creation example of James Buck
      (http://www.aarg.net/~minam/dungeon_design.html) and have nearly
      implemented all of his algorithm. I used a different maze-generating
      algorithm known as the Growing-Tree that I found at the Think Labyrinth!
      (http://www.astrolog.org/labyrnth/algrithm.htm), an excellent site
      recommended by Mr. Buck.

      I'm currently in Section Three of Mr. Buck's example of dungeon creation
      (adding rooms and such) and I've taken a brief respite to learn how to send
      my data to CC2. I've figured out a way to send the various walls and such
      and you can see a CC2 example of my current state:

      http://www.reonis.d2g.com/CC2/dungex.png
      http://www.reonis.d2g.com/CC2/dungex.fcw

      ...my problem is learning macros and using them to send the data. To send
      the dungeon to CC2, my program cycles through each subscript of my array to
      then output each cell of the dungeon. My array stores which walls are not
      blocked off:

      1=North open
      2=South open
      4=East open
      8=West open

      I add the numbers for each area into that spot of the array. So, if you
      are travelling a passageway North and come to a "T" intersection, my array
      would store that cell as 14; meaning that from that cell, you can travel
      South (2), East (4) and West (8)...8+4+2=14. When I want to send this data
      to CC2, I cycle through each subscript of the array and then output that
      block into CC2. So, if my array stored 5, I'd output something that looks
      like |__ to CC2 with the line:

      SndMessage 30000, "PATH 45,45 45,35 55,35" + $CRLF + $CRLF + "SENDM 1" + $CRLF

      ...as you can tell from the example map, that does output correctly. I can
      output my entire array without a problem. Now reading the setup and some
      history, here comes a few various questions.

      1. Is it possible to convert my current walls into something similar to
      Morgan Olden's output from the BlockWall macros? What about floor tiles
      into something like Mr. Olden's Random Floor Tiles macro?

      2. When I send this series of commands, CC2 always hiccups and gives me an
      error:

      SndMessage 30000, "COLOR 252" + $CRLF + $CRLF + "SENDM 1" + $CRLF
      SndMessage 30000, "BOX 45,35 55,45" + $CRLF + $CRLF + "SENDM 1" +
      $CRLF
      SndMessage 30000, "COLOR 0" + $CRLF + $CRLF + "SENDM 1" + $CRLF

      "Warning Campaign Cartographer 2 cannot perform the command: 1"

      ...if I accept the messages and troop on, I do get a series of boxes with
      my grayish color; but, I don't understand the message.

      3. Would users prefer each cell be separate or all of the various cells
      combined into one path?

      4. If you had suggestions to give for features in a random dungeon creator
      for CC2; what would you be looking for?

      Please forgive my long ramblings and basic understanding of macro
      programming; but, I'd really like to beat this idea into submission.

      Don Ewald
      dpe@...
    • Anna M. Dobritt
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2003
        There's a file available from the CC2Macros list that has all the user
        created Macros changed into Scripts. If you like, I could email the file to
        you.

        I really like what you've done with Jamis' dungeon generator.

        As for suggestions, hmmm. Maybe including a grid. Just coming up with a
        random dungeon layout would cut down the time for making maps of this type.

        Anna M. Dobritt
        RPG Freelancers Guide
        http://www.rpgfreelancers.com/index.html
        Freelance Cartographer
        http://rpgmaps.mortality.net

> [...]
        > error:
        >
        > SndMessage 30000, "COLOR 252" + $CRLF + $CRLF + "SENDM 1" + $CRLF
        > SndMessage 30000, "BOX 45,35 55,45" + $CRLF + $CRLF + "SENDM 1" +
        > $CRLF
        > SndMessage 30000, "COLOR 0" + $CRLF + $CRLF + "SENDM 1" + $CRLF
        >
        > "Warning Campaign Cartographer 2 cannot perform the command: 1"
        >
        > ...if I accept the messages and troop on, I do get a series of boxes with
        > my grayish color; but, I don't understand the message.
        >
        > 3. Would users prefer each cell be separate or all of the various cells
        > combined into one path?
        >
        > 4. If you had suggestions to give for features in a random dungeon
        creator
        > for CC2; what would you be looking for?
        >
        > Please forgive my long ramblings and basic understanding of macro
        > programming; but, I'd really like to beat this idea into submission.

      • Don Ewald
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 4, 2003
          Greetings!

          Okay, with a bit of frustration I was able to figure out question two. The
          second $CRLF was the culprit. It was telling CC2 to repeat the last
          command. On with progress...

          Don Ewald
          dpe@...
        • Morgan Olden
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 4, 2003
            Don,

            First, please let me commend you on your efforts thus far; very impressive!
            I'm glad to see the spirit of CC2 innovation is alive and well. In response
            to your query (#1 below), I have a few ideas that might help.

            As Anna suggested, the code to the macros you mentioned (Blockwall) are
            available in several formats. Use them as you will.
            http://www.greycitadel.com/greycitadel/cc2macros.nsf

            All of the necessary macro commands could be passed to CC2 via Intercom.
            What is the performance like with this process? Rather than passing several
            hundred lines of macro code with this process, it may prove to be more
            efficient to call an external script to perform the bulk of the work, For
            example, assuming that the script 'DrawSection' will draw one grid section,
            and requires the variables 'Position' and 'SectionType', then you could use
            an Intercom command like:

            SndMessage 30000, "GP Position 12,34;GV SectionType 2;SCRIPTM
            #DrawSection.scr" + $CRLF + $CRLF + "SENDM 1" + $CRLF

            In theory, of course! ;)

            Hope this helps,

            Morgan

            Don Ewald
            <dpe@... To: cc2-dev-l@yahoogroups.com
            > cc:
            01/04/03 02:57 PM
            Please respond to
            cc2-dev-l

[...]

          • Latharion
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 5, 2003
              Is it also possible to include diagonal cardinal directions in the
              variable for determining the open directions? Just a thought. Some
              dungeons also do diagonal passages etc. Your implementation of this
              idea is great! I've always wished CC2 could do this (and I guess it
              always could, with the right "motivation" ;) ).

              Latharion

            • Don Ewald
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 5, 2003
                Greetings Morgan and all!

                You---->First, please let me commend you on your efforts thus far; very
                impressive!

                Many thanks! I'm quite proud of the progress that I've made. My two
                biggest hurdles, programmatically creating a maze and finding a way to
                communicate it to CC2, have been overcome.

                You---->As Anna suggested, the code to the macros you mentioned (Blockwall)
                are available in several formats. Use them as you will.

                Great! I really am impressed by your macros and I wish I had half the
                understanding of them that I should. I've edited (mangled?) the Blockwall
                script to allow me to send it up to four points and it now creates the wall
                of my dungeons. The only downside is speed. It takes a long time on my
                machine to create the example map found below, I kicked the program off,
                read Smithsonian for fifteen minutes hoping it would finish quickly. I
                then went downstairs for a milk and cookie break and came back up to a nice
                map.

                You---->All of the necessary macro commands could be passed to CC2 via
                Intercom. What is the performance like with this process?...it may prove to
                be more efficient to call an external script...

                Slower than I would like. My program waits between each command for CC2 to
                finish processing and unfortunately the communication between the two isn't
                exactly Godspeed. I took your suggestion and tested out scripts and I am
                quite pleased. CC2 does process scripts faster than communicating through
                Intercom. So, I ditched Intercom entirely and am now outputting my data
                into script form. This doesn't mean that I've totally forgotten about
                Intercom; but, for basic dungeon creation I think scripts will be my answer.

                http://www.reonis.d2g.com/CC2/dungex3.png
                http://www.reonis.d2g.com/CC2/dungex3.fcw

                I have finished many of my goals with this and I do have a few more to go.

                To do:
                -Make tan background image one box instead of many
                -Add sparcity percent variable
                -Make the various colors for map editable
                -Implement doors
                -Make variable to determine if doors are Secret or Concealed
                -Add variable to adjust randomness in turns
                -Find faster way to create walls
                -Try and time a dungeon tile fill
                -Make the various variables user editable
                -Create a GUI environment for future users
                -Implement a prettier border scheme as well as cartographic touchs like
                compass and such
                -Have rooms hotspot with an outside text file or executable to flesh out
                descriptions--look into Campaign Suite

                Finished:
                -Dungeon creation is based on a 2d, Normal, Orthogonal, Perfect
                passage-carving Maze using the Growing-Tree algorithm (though other
                algorithms are a variable away)
                -Maze is then sparcified to lessen density and then loopified to create
                loops. This process still allows you to explore every square that is
                available.
                -Using a weighting system we place rooms in the best place possible (least
                interference with the existing dungeon)
                -Various stuff on the correct layers
                -Room width, room height, room number, dungeon width, dungeon height, maze
                algorithm, dungeon block size, sparcity, loopity and loopity percent
                variables implemented
                -Output to CC2 script

                Don Ewald
                dpe@...
              • MPrilla@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 5, 2003
                  In a message dated 1/5/2003 8:13:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, latharion@... writes:

                  Is it also possible to include diagonal cardinal directions in the
                  variable for determining the open directions?  Just a thought.  Some
                  dungeons also do diagonal passages etc.  Your implementation of this
                  idea is great!  I've always wished CC2 could do this (and I guess it
                  always could, with the right "motivation"  ;)  ).

                          Latharion

                  What is your attached file?

                  Mike Group Owner InfinityScripters, AuroraScripters & AuroraModers

                  AI Scripting Ring for Infinity Engine and Aurora Engine Games
                  http://l.webring.com/hub?ring=aiscriptingringf
                  http://nwn.bioware.com/guilds_registry/viewguild.html?gid=481

                  "Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"  Dernhelm
                  A cold voice answered :
                  "Come not between the Nazg├╗l and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shriveled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye." The Witch King
                  A sword rang as it was drawn.
                  "Do what you will, but I will hinder it, if I may."  Dernhelm
                  "Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"  The Witch King
                  Then Merry heard of all sounds in that hour the strangest.  It seemed that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel.
                  "But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Eomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you are not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him."  Eowyn/Dernhelm
                  The winged creature screamed at her, but the Ringwraith made no answer, and was silent, as if in sudden doubt.  Very amazement for a moment conquered Merry's fear.  He opened his eyes and the blackness was lifted from them.

                  "The Return of the King"
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 6, 2003
                    Intercom can be used as follows:
                    Intercom asks your program to generate a script.
                    When the script has been created, your program requests that CC2 runs the
                    script.

                    Simon
                  • Don Ewald
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 6, 2003
                      Greetings Simon!

                      You---->Intercom asks your program to generate a script. When the script
                      has been created, your program requests that CC2 runs the script.

                      Dynamite idea! I overlooked that one and I'll definitely try to implement
                      it. This interacting with CC2 is way beyond anything I thought possible
                      before.

                      Don Ewald
                      dpe@...
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 7, 2003
                        While it is generating the script, it's probably an idea to put up a task
                        bar so that they don't do anything in CC2 to interfere with your intercom
                        command to run the script file.