custom entity type: "tooltip" hotspot

  • Christopher Golden
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 9, 2002
      I'm wondering if the following sounds possible to CC2 XP gurus:
      Create a custom entity that would be just like a polygon in
      structure (or a rectangle if that makes things easier). The
      entity could be visible or not; it doesn't really matter. The
      point of the new entity type would be its tooltip.

      Whenever the user hovered the mouse cursor over the entity, a
      tooltip (or balloon help) would pop up containing whatever text
      the mapper had associated with the tooltip.

      This way, we could add short map notes to a map that wouldn't
      require any clicking on hyperlinks. You could hover your mouse
      cursor over different features and get small bits of information,
      e.g. "West Mill" or "Manor House" or whatever.

      I know custom entities are possible, but I have no idea whether
      the hooks exist to get the mouse cursor position, relate that
      to the screen position of the tooltip-generating entities, and
      then put up a tooltip if the mouse is over one of them. (I
      realize some of this is straight Windows programming, but I'm
      also concerned that hooking into mouse position, etc. might
      mess up CC2.)

      Thanks!
      Christopher Golden
      golden@...
    • Christopher Golden
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 9, 2002
        Another potential problem I just thought of with this
        proposed tooltip entity: Would it cause constant map
        redraws as the tooltips disappeared? That would not
        be fun.

        Chris G.
        golden@...
      • John Csaky
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 10, 2002
          Regardless of the side affects, I like the idea. Even if it is just a short
          blurb that tells the user to click for more info I think it would be a very
          useful tool.

          John
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 10, 2002
            I think it might be possible to do something to add tooltips to ACTION
            entities,
            and set them to not display (a current ability). This might be much
            easier to
            accomplish in the core, so I'll look into it and get back on this subject.

            Mike

            Christopher Golden wrote:

            >I'm wondering if the following sounds possible to CC2 XP gurus:
            >Create a custom entity that would be just like a polygon in
            >structure (or a rectangle if that makes things easier). The
            >entity could be visible or not; it doesn't really matter. The
            >point of the new entity type would be its tooltip.
            >
            >Whenever the user hovered the mouse cursor over the entity, a
            >tooltip (or balloon help) would pop up containing whatever text
            >the mapper had associated with the tooltip.
            >
            >This way, we could add short map notes to a map that wouldn't
            >require any clicking on hyperlinks. You could hover your mouse
            >cursor over different features and get small bits of information,
            >e.g. "West Mill" or "Manor House" or whatever.
            >
            >I know custom entities are possible, but I have no idea whether
            >the hooks exist to get the mouse cursor position, relate that
            >to the screen position of the tooltip-generating entities, and
            >then put up a tooltip if the mouse is over one of them. (I
            >realize some of this is straight Windows programming, but I'm
            >also concerned that hooking into mouse position, etc. might
            >mess up CC2.)
            >
            >Thanks!
            >Christopher Golden
            >golden@...

          • Christopher Golden
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 10, 2002
              Mike Riddle wrote:

              > I think it might be possible to do something to add tooltips to ACTION entities,
              > and set them to not display (a current ability). This might be much easier to
              > accomplish in the core, so I'll look into it and get back on this subject.

              Thanks, I appreciate it! I can well imagine this feature being
              wildly used by those who view their CC2 maps onscreen rather
              than on paper. (And of course, if the tooltips were added to
              the core, we could write a text export command that would har-
              vest the text contained within the tooltips, so the new feature
              wouldn't be entirely useless for folks who print out their maps.)

              I envision the tooltip text entity as being created and edited
              by the user much as is a standard CC2 text entity, except without
              the font and other format options. (The font, foreground and
              background colors, etc. of the tooltip would come from the Windows
              system.)

              And again, I think a key optimization would be to ensure that CC2
              doesn't have to redraw the entire map each time a tooltip dis-
              appears. I've noticed that some CC2 dialog boxes, when dismissed,
              don't cause a map redraw, whereas others do. It seems (though
              I've never researched it) that redraws are triggered only by the
              larger dialogs and secondary windows. My hope, then, is that as
              the tooltips would be comparatively small, they wouldn't require
              a redraw when they vanished.

              Christopher Golden
              golden@...
            • Ken Snellings
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 10, 2002
                This would be a fantastic addition!

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 10, 2002
                  > I've noticed that some CC2 dialog boxes, when dismissed,
                  > don't cause a map redraw, whereas others do. It seems (though
                  > I've never researched it) that redraws are triggered only by the
                  > larger dialogs and secondary windows.

                  Most dialogs with previews cause this problem. A redraw is somehow issued
                  when working with private (mode DL_Private) drawing lists. I have not found
                  a way to avoid this redraw... :-(

                  Peter
                • jslayton@ridgenet.net
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 10, 2002
                    Is it possible to get the main window handle and save the contents
                    before opening the dialog? You should be able to close down the dialog,
                    restore the bitmap, validate the entire window contents, and continue
                    without forcing a redraw in the main window. The problem with this
                    might be that you'd have to revalidate all of the child windows on
                    the main window, so it may not be a reasonable option.
                    The reason you're getting a redraw is probably that you're doing a
                    lot of GDI work and the system dumps the background image that it
                    saved when it displayed the dialog (also only goes up to some size
                    dependent on dialog dimensions and desktop bit depth). GDI tends to
                    be stingy on what it will save and for how long.

                    Joe Slayton

                    > I've noticed that some CC2 dialog boxes, when dismissed,
                    > don't cause a map redraw, whereas others do. It seems (though
                    > I've never researched it) that redraws are triggered only by the
                    > larger dialogs and secondary windows.

                    Most dialogs with previews cause this problem. A redraw is somehow issued
                    when working with private (mode DL_Private) drawing lists. I have not found
                    a way to avoid this redraw... :-(

                    Now your e-mail is where you are : http://www.ridgenet.net
                  • Christopher Golden
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 2, 2002
                      Mike Riddle wrote:

                      > I think it might be possible to do something to add tooltips to ACTION entities,
                      > and set them to not display (a current ability). This might be much easier to
                      > accomplish in the core, so I'll look into it and get back on this subject.

                      I'm wondering... have you had any chance to look into this in
                      the last few weeks?

                      Thanks!
                      Christopher Golden
                      golden@...
                    • Antony Farrell
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 15, 2002
                        I have been trying out CC2 Pro, with CD2 installed. I created a small town
                        using the random street with a mixture of thatched and the default
                        buildings.

                        Strangely enough all of the outlines for the thatched building vanished,
                        though the normal default ones did not. Examining the drawing of the
                        thatched building symbols the outline was certainly drawn then immediately
                        vanished never to be seen again. I can find no trace of this on any layer.
                        Any idea what became of it and how I can get it back?

                        Antony
                      • John Csaky
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 16, 2002
                          If you do a List are the Outlines there by chance and just hidden behind
                          something else? Also, what version of Pro are you using? There was a problem
                          with Layering and City Symbols prior to the 17-9-02 Version.

                          John
                          | I have been trying out CC2 Pro, with CD2 installed. I created a small town
                          | using the random street with a mixture of thatched and the default
                          | buildings.
                          |
                          | Strangely enough all of the outlines for the thatched building vanished,
                          | though the normal default ones did not. Examining the drawing of the
                          | thatched building symbols the outline was certainly drawn then immediately
                          | vanished never to be seen again. I can find no trace of this on any layer.
                          | Any idea what became of it and how I can get it back?
                          |
                          | Antony

                        • Antony Farrell
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 16, 2002
                            The version of CC2 Pro is version6.12 dated 08/27/02. Picking one of the
                            thatched houses at random List says that there is something on the
                            Structures (Outline) level, also nothing on the Structures (Fill) level.
                            Incidently this problem only occured with Thatched houses placed using the
                            random street method. (Perhaps one of the house settings?) Not those taken
                            from the symbol lists. The other house style I used for random streets did
                            not seem effected at all.

                            Antony