Very simple project

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 18, 2002
      Here is a straightforward projects that need doing:

      1. Attribute lister and extracter.
      One of our users is creating a set of tiles for Dwarven Forge (minature
      scenery) pieces to create floorplans. Each symbol will have an attribute
      included in it. When the map is completed, Extract Attributes creates a list
      of the pieces used, but not in a very useful format. Ideally, the user needs
      a list of numbers, part codes and descriptions of the pieces used so that
      they can see what DF parts to use, which they can then print out.

      To give you an example of how to create a symbol with an attribute for this:

      1. Draw the elements of the symbol.
      2. Select Symbols >> Define Attribute
      3. Set the values as follows:

      Tag Text: Part
      Prompt: (Blank)
      Default Value, say DF1001 10' Corridor
      Hidden, Constant, Don't display tag.
      4. Place is where the symbol elements are
      Define Symbol, including the stuff you drew, and the attribute.

      5. Click the Drawing button beneath the Catalog button, scroll down to the
      end, insert the symbol you drew.
      6. Select Symbols >> Extract Attributes

      Intially, all that needs doing is an improvement on Extract Attributes which
      displays, for example:

      Number Needed Description
      7 DF1001 10' Corridors
      8 DF1004 20' Rooms

      Enhancements to the project could include keeping a record of the parts
      available, and warning when they have run out.

      Please respond to the list if you are interested.

      Simon Rogers
      ProFantasy Sofware Ltd
    • Clayton Derochie
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 18, 2002
        Simon,

        Thanks for the note and I am interested. I'm a bit confused as to whether
        this is a graphics project or a programming project.

        Any symbol generation is easy. I may need some coaching on the other.
        Please let me know.

        Clay

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 19, 2002
          Programming. We've got someone to draw the symbols and do the data work.
          Just use circles with text attributes the same as the symbol names.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 19, 2002
            Sorry, this post was a little obtuse. I mean, keep the project generic.

            Use different colored circles for the symbols, called circle 1, circle 2,
            etc, each with an attribute of the same name. Place a bunch of these in the
            drawing. The new comman will extract a text list like this:

            Elements required to create this map:
            10 Circle 1
            15 Circle 2
            12 Circle 3

            When this works, it'll then be the symbol creator's job to fit this in with
            your command.

            Programming. We've got someone to draw the symbols and do the data work.
            Just use circles with text attributes the same as the symbol names.

            > Here is a straightforward projects that need doing:
            >
            > 1. Attribute lister and extracter.
            > One of our users is creating a set of tiles for Dwarven Forge (minature
            > scenery) pieces to create floorplans. Each symbol will have an attribute
            > included in it. When the map is completed, Extract Attributes creates a
            list
            > of the pieces used, but not in a very useful format. Ideally, the user
            needs
            > a list of numbers, part codes and descriptions of the pieces used so that
            > they can see what DF parts to use, which they can then print out.
            >
            > To give you an example of how to create a symbol with an attribute for
            this:

            > 1. Draw the elements of the symbol.
            > 2. Select Symbols >> Define Attribute
            > 3. Set the values as follows:
            >
            > Tag Text: Part
            > Prompt: (Blank)
            > Default Value, say DF1001 10' Corridor
            > Hidden, Constant, Don't display tag.
            > 4. Place is where the symbol elements are
            > Define Symbol, including the stuff you drew, and the attribute.
            >
            > 5. Click the Drawing button beneath the Catalog button, scroll down to the
            > end, insert the symbol you drew.
            > 6. Select Symbols >> Extract Attributes
            >
            > Intially, all that needs doing is an improvement on Extract Attributes
            which
            > displays, for example:
            >
            > Number Needed Description
            > 7 DF1001 10' Corridors
            > 8 DF1004 20' Rooms
            >
            > Enhancements to the project could include keeping a record of the parts
            > available, and warning when they have run out.
            >
            > Please respond to the list if you are interested.
            >
            > Simon Rogers
            > ProFantasy Sofware Ltd

          • Clayton Derochie
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 19, 2002
              Thanks for the reply. Programming is not what I do well. You would do much
              better with someone else! Thank you, however, for considering me. I
              appreciate that.

              Clay

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 22, 2002
                Anyone else want to try their hand?

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 22, 2002
                  Everyone,

                  Remember that you would not be alone in working on this. This group
                  includes persons that can make CC2 jump through hoops. (Or rewrite it from
                  scratch) The other members of this group would love to help you through
                  creating an XP.

                  This is a very good project of the novice, but if no one person wants to
                  take it on, would a group of beginners want to try it as a group project?

                  So come on and step up to the plate. The journey of a thousand lines of
                  code starts with an empty project. :-)

                  Lee

                  L. Lee Saunders, CC2 Master Mapper
                  Visit my personal website @ http://move.to/ADandD

                • cc2list@cox.net
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 22, 2002
                    I might be interested in doing an XP. I have only limited programming knowledge, however (up to data structures in C, a bit of java and very small amount of vb). I do have a pretty good theoretical knowledge and the ability to learn quickly, just no practical 'non-school-work' programming experience as of yet.

                    If someone could point me towards some XP programming info, I could look it over and see it I'd be up to snuff.

                    Also, what exactly is this project? I read the last post, and gather that it has to do with extracting entity info from an already made map. I'm probably missing some earlier posts on it, the dev list tends to get buried in my inbox under the cc2-l list..

                    -Sam Carter
                    All who wander are not lost...

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 23, 2002
                      > I might be interested in doing an XP. I have only limited programming
                      knowledge,
                      > however (up to data structures in C, a bit of java and very small amount
                      of vb).
                      > I do have a pretty good theoretical knowledge and the ability to learn
                      quickly,
                      > just no practical 'non-school-work' programming experience as of yet.

                      You should be fine. The XP stuff can be a bit tricky a first sight, but done
                      give up. Ask all your questions to this group and I'm sure we will be able
                      answer them all.

                      > If someone could point me towards some XP programming info, I could
                      > look it over and see it I'd be up to snuff.

                      The first step is to get the toolkit up and running. You need Visual C++ 5.0
                      or 6.0 and the XPToolkit from your install CD. There is also a Getting
                      Started installation of the toolkit. You will find it in message:

                      And an updated verson in (if the first one isn't updated):

                      > Also, what exactly is this project? I read the last post, and
                      > gather that it has to do with extracting entity info from an
                      > already made map. I'm probably missing some earlier posts
                      > on it, the dev list tends to get buried in my inbox under the cc2-l list..

                      The first message that explained the project was:

                    • Sam Carter
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 23, 2002
                        Ok, I'll let you guys know if I have any questions (more like when I have questions, I'm sure ;)

                        -Sam

                      • Archimagus@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 15, 2002
                          In a message dated 7/19/2002 3:25:53 AM Central America Standard Tim, simon@... writes:

                          Programming. We've got someone to draw the symbols and do the data work.
                          Just use circles with text attributes the same as the symbol names.

                          Has anyone worked on this?
                        • Sam Carter

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 15, 2002
                              >In a message dated 7/19/2002 3:25:53 AM Central America Standard Tim,
                              >simon@... writes:
                              >

                              > > Programming. We've got someone to draw the symbols and do the data work.
                              > > Just use circles with text attributes the same as the symbol names.
                              > >

                              >Has anyone worked on this?

                              I think its waiting for you.

                            • Archimagus@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 15, 2002
                                In a message dated 8/15/2002 2:39:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time, saunderl@... writes:

                                > > Programming. We've got someone to draw the symbols and do the data work.
                                > > Just use circles with text attributes the same as the symbol names.

                                I'm the one drawing the symbols and doing the data work.