SVG Project

  • dmccordjr
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 14, 2002
      I'm very interested in the Status of the SVG Project. I don't have a
      lot of free time right now. but I'm C++ Programmer, and would at like
      to help. I'm not an XP programmer but I'm willing to learn. Would
      like to get up to speed on any current code or starting designs.

      Woody
    • Bruce A. Carson
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 14, 2002
        Woody,

        Excellent! I would love to continue working on this project, but no other
        developers could make the time commitment required. We had some good
        volunteers willing to help, but mostly for the testing phase of the project.
        Unfortunately, my work has now picked up (60-70 hrs/week), so I cannot make
        any commitment at this point either!

        I have setup a development web site (include source control facilities)
        using SourceForge.net
        So if you don't already have a SourceForge account, get one. Also, if not
        already familiar with it, learn a bit about CVS.

        Send me a private email when you get your sourceforge account and I'll add
        you to the developer's list on the project.

        Bruce

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 18, 2002
          Here is a straightforward projects that need doing:

          1. Attribute lister and extracter.
          One of our users is creating a set of tiles for Dwarven Forge (minature
          scenery) pieces to create floorplans. Each symbol will have an attribute
          included in it. When the map is completed, Extract Attributes creates a list
          of the pieces used, but not in a very useful format. Ideally, the user needs
          a list of numbers, part codes and descriptions of the pieces used so that
          they can see what DF parts to use, which they can then print out.

          To give you an example of how to create a symbol with an attribute for this:

          1. Draw the elements of the symbol.
          2. Select Symbols >> Define Attribute
          3. Set the values as follows:

          Tag Text: Part
          Prompt: (Blank)
          Default Value, say DF1001 10' Corridor
          Hidden, Constant, Don't display tag.
          4. Place is where the symbol elements are
          Define Symbol, including the stuff you drew, and the attribute.

          5. Click the Drawing button beneath the Catalog button, scroll down to the
          end, insert the symbol you drew.
          6. Select Symbols >> Extract Attributes

          Intially, all that needs doing is an improvement on Extract Attributes which
          displays, for example:

          Number Needed Description
          7 DF1001 10' Corridors
          8 DF1004 20' Rooms

          Enhancements to the project could include keeping a record of the parts
          available, and warning when they have run out.

          Please respond to the list if you are interested.

          Simon Rogers
          ProFantasy Sofware Ltd
        • Clayton Derochie
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 18, 2002
            Simon,

            Thanks for the note and I am interested. I'm a bit confused as to whether
            this is a graphics project or a programming project.

            Any symbol generation is easy. I may need some coaching on the other.
            Please let me know.

            Clay

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 19, 2002
              Programming. We've got someone to draw the symbols and do the data work.
              Just use circles with text attributes the same as the symbol names.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 19, 2002
                Sorry, this post was a little obtuse. I mean, keep the project generic.

                Use different colored circles for the symbols, called circle 1, circle 2,
                etc, each with an attribute of the same name. Place a bunch of these in the
                drawing. The new comman will extract a text list like this:

                Elements required to create this map:
                10 Circle 1
                15 Circle 2
                12 Circle 3

                When this works, it'll then be the symbol creator's job to fit this in with
                your command.

                Programming. We've got someone to draw the symbols and do the data work.
                Just use circles with text attributes the same as the symbol names.

                > Here is a straightforward projects that need doing:
                >
                > 1. Attribute lister and extracter.
                > One of our users is creating a set of tiles for Dwarven Forge (minature
                > scenery) pieces to create floorplans. Each symbol will have an attribute
                > included in it. When the map is completed, Extract Attributes creates a
                list
                > of the pieces used, but not in a very useful format. Ideally, the user
                needs
                > a list of numbers, part codes and descriptions of the pieces used so that
                > they can see what DF parts to use, which they can then print out.
                >
                > To give you an example of how to create a symbol with an attribute for
                this:

                > 1. Draw the elements of the symbol.
                > 2. Select Symbols >> Define Attribute
                > 3. Set the values as follows:
                >
                > Tag Text: Part
                > Prompt: (Blank)
                > Default Value, say DF1001 10' Corridor
                > Hidden, Constant, Don't display tag.
                > 4. Place is where the symbol elements are
                > Define Symbol, including the stuff you drew, and the attribute.
                >
                > 5. Click the Drawing button beneath the Catalog button, scroll down to the
                > end, insert the symbol you drew.
                > 6. Select Symbols >> Extract Attributes
                >
                > Intially, all that needs doing is an improvement on Extract Attributes
                which
                > displays, for example:
                >
                > Number Needed Description
                > 7 DF1001 10' Corridors
                > 8 DF1004 20' Rooms
                >
                > Enhancements to the project could include keeping a record of the parts
                > available, and warning when they have run out.
                >
                > Please respond to the list if you are interested.
                >
                > Simon Rogers
                > ProFantasy Sofware Ltd

              • Clayton Derochie
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 19, 2002
                  Thanks for the reply. Programming is not what I do well. You would do much
                  better with someone else! Thank you, however, for considering me. I
                  appreciate that.

                  Clay

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 22, 2002
                    Anyone else want to try their hand?

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 22, 2002
                      Everyone,

                      Remember that you would not be alone in working on this. This group
                      includes persons that can make CC2 jump through hoops. (Or rewrite it from
                      scratch) The other members of this group would love to help you through
                      creating an XP.

                      This is a very good project of the novice, but if no one person wants to
                      take it on, would a group of beginners want to try it as a group project?

                      So come on and step up to the plate. The journey of a thousand lines of
                      code starts with an empty project. :-)

                      Lee

                      L. Lee Saunders, CC2 Master Mapper
                      Visit my personal website @ http://move.to/ADandD

                    • cc2list@cox.net
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 22, 2002
                        I might be interested in doing an XP. I have only limited programming knowledge, however (up to data structures in C, a bit of java and very small amount of vb). I do have a pretty good theoretical knowledge and the ability to learn quickly, just no practical 'non-school-work' programming experience as of yet.

                        If someone could point me towards some XP programming info, I could look it over and see it I'd be up to snuff.

                        Also, what exactly is this project? I read the last post, and gather that it has to do with extracting entity info from an already made map. I'm probably missing some earlier posts on it, the dev list tends to get buried in my inbox under the cc2-l list..

                        -Sam Carter
                        All who wander are not lost...

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 23, 2002
                          > I might be interested in doing an XP. I have only limited programming
                          knowledge,
                          > however (up to data structures in C, a bit of java and very small amount
                          of vb).
                          > I do have a pretty good theoretical knowledge and the ability to learn
                          quickly,
                          > just no practical 'non-school-work' programming experience as of yet.

                          You should be fine. The XP stuff can be a bit tricky a first sight, but done
                          give up. Ask all your questions to this group and I'm sure we will be able
                          answer them all.

                          > If someone could point me towards some XP programming info, I could
                          > look it over and see it I'd be up to snuff.

                          The first step is to get the toolkit up and running. You need Visual C++ 5.0
                          or 6.0 and the XPToolkit from your install CD. There is also a Getting
                          Started installation of the toolkit. You will find it in message:

                          And an updated verson in (if the first one isn't updated):

                          > Also, what exactly is this project? I read the last post, and
                          > gather that it has to do with extracting entity info from an
                          > already made map. I'm probably missing some earlier posts
                          > on it, the dev list tends to get buried in my inbox under the cc2-l list..

                          The first message that explained the project was:

                        • Sam Carter
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 23, 2002
                            Ok, I'll let you guys know if I have any questions (more like when I have questions, I'm sure ;)

                            -Sam

                          • Archimagus@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 15, 2002
                              In a message dated 7/19/2002 3:25:53 AM Central America Standard Tim, simon@... writes:

                              Programming. We've got someone to draw the symbols and do the data work.
                              Just use circles with text attributes the same as the symbol names.

                              Has anyone worked on this?
                            • Sam Carter

                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 15, 2002
                                  >In a message dated 7/19/2002 3:25:53 AM Central America Standard Tim,
                                  >simon@... writes:
                                  >

                                  > > Programming. We've got someone to draw the symbols and do the data work.
                                  > > Just use circles with text attributes the same as the symbol names.
                                  > >

                                  >Has anyone worked on this?

                                  I think its waiting for you.

                                • Archimagus@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 15, 2002
                                    In a message dated 8/15/2002 2:39:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time, saunderl@... writes:

                                    > > Programming. We've got someone to draw the symbols and do the data work.
                                    > > Just use circles with text attributes the same as the symbol names.

                                    I'm the one drawing the symbols and doing the data work.