Re: matching coordinates with zone

  • raorgen
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 19, 2002

      > There are many ways to automate CC2. The toughest, but in my own
      opinion
      > the most fulfilling, is to directly connect CC2 to an VB ActiveX
      Dll. To do
      > this you'll need to do some C/C++ programming as well.
      >
      > If you do not own Visual C++ 6.0 then you either need to get a
      friend to
      > write the glue routines for you or you will be limited to
      using 'Intercom'

      > Intercom interfaces external programs with CC2 macros. This is not
      as
      > limiting as you would think. In fact the external program can
      write all but
      > the first and last lines of the macro it is calling, so you have
      lots of
      > power. It just will not feel 100% like a true part of CC2.

      I do own Visual C++ 6, but my C skills are very crude. I certainly
      wouldn't be able to make a dll.

      > Yes, this is doable. It just depends how you want to go about it.
      Do you
      > want to submit a long list of coordinates one at a time and recieve
      the
      > output one at a time or are you looking at a batch process? Or, do
      you want
      > the user to click on a point and have the software report the
      coordinates to
      > your software?
      >
      > Like I said, its doable, but first you need to nail down exactly
      what you
      > want. Then we can further help you.
      >
      > Lee

      I want to submit a coordinate one at a time and deduce what terrain
      that coordinate lies within. So I submit (2345.67,6789.02) and it
      looks at my map and says that's in a forest. The coordinate
      submissions will occur one at a time. The user will not actually be
      interacting with the map visually, just receiving information about
      the environment of the coordinates. I figured that I would need to
      divide the world into discreet polygons representing the terrain
      zones so it would have something specific to compare to.

      Thanks,
      Ed
    • jdobritt
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 19, 2002
        What about basing the terrain type on the sorts of symbols used in a
        specific area?

        Anna

        --- In cc2-dev-l@y..., "raorgen" <raorgen@h...> wrote:

        > > There are many ways to automate CC2. The toughest, but in my own
        > opinion
        > > the most fulfilling, is to directly connect CC2 to an VB ActiveX
        > Dll. To do
        > > this you'll need to do some C/C++ programming as well.
        > >
        > > If you do not own Visual C++ 6.0 then you either need to get a
        > friend to
        > > write the glue routines for you or you will be limited to
        > using 'Intercom'
        > >
        > > Intercom interfaces external programs with CC2 macros. This is
        not
        > as
        > > limiting as you would think. In fact the external program can
        > write all but
        > > the first and last lines of the macro it is calling, so you have
        > lots of
        > > power. It just will not feel 100% like a true part of CC2.
        > >

        > I do own Visual C++ 6, but my C skills are very crude. I certainly
        > wouldn't be able to make a dll.
        >

        > > Yes, this is doable. It just depends how you want to go about
        it.
        > Do you
        > > want to submit a long list of coordinates one at a time and
        recieve
        > the
        > > output one at a time or are you looking at a batch process? Or,
        do
        > you want
        > > the user to click on a point and have the software report the
        > coordinates to
        > > your software?
        > >
        > > Like I said, its doable, but first you need to nail down exactly
        > what you
        > > want. Then we can further help you.
        > >
        > > Lee
        > >

        > I want to submit a coordinate one at a time and deduce what terrain
        > that coordinate lies within. So I submit (2345.67,6789.02) and it
        > looks at my map and says that's in a forest. The coordinate
        > submissions will occur one at a time. The user will not actually be
        > interacting with the map visually, just receiving information about
        > the environment of the coordinates. I figured that I would need to
        > divide the world into discreet polygons representing the terrain
        > zones so it would have something specific to compare to.
        >

        > Thanks,
        > Ed
      • raorgen
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 19, 2002
          > What about basing the terrain type on the sorts of symbols used in
          > specific area?
          >
          > Anna

          That would be even better, but I wasn't sure it was doable. I figured
          I'd have better odds using marked zones, but of course I don't know
          how that would be done either ;)
        • Bruce A. Carson
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 19, 2002
            OK Next Question:
            In order for a DLL or Intercom to work CC2 has to be "running". You haven't
            explained whether this is to be a web application and whether all your users
            are actually going to own CC2...But your explaination of entering a
            coordinate indicates to me that you probably don't want CC2's GUI
            displaying.

            If this is the case, how about this solution:
            1) Draw your map
            2) Use "LIST" command to display all entities on the map
            3) Click on the "T" in the top left corner and SAVE-AS the list display to a
            file
            4) Write a VB program to parse the saved text list and look for the
            "closest" symbol
            The formula would be the Symbol Reference with the smallest value of:
            (x1 - x2)^2 + (y1 - y2)^2 , Where (X1,Y1) is the location entered by the
            user
            and (X2,Y2) is the Symbol Reference's location. In case you have forgotten
            your
            math classes, if you take the square root of the above calculated value you
            will
            have the distance to that symbol...

            Bruce

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 19, 2002
              Hi,

              >Let me mention first that I tried signed up for this list on ProFantasy's
              >site, but it signed me up for the cc2-l list instead. I tried it again and
              >watched more carefully in case I had clicked on the wrong link, but indeed
              >the page said it was for the dev list yet I got another confimation for the
              >regular list.

              Sorry to here about your troubles. I do believe that Linda is on this list
              though, so she will probably look into it.

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 20, 2002
                It would be feasible to have CC2 running if need be. It's going to
                be a client-server app, so the server could have it running and
                communicate the results to the client.
                However, your approach seems very workable, would save me the
                trouble of mapping out the zone polygons, and looks to be actually a
                much simpler process that what I was envisioning. Thanks man :)

                Ed

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/