Getting started

  • simon@profantasy.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 22, 2001
      Peter has kindly put together an XP starter kit. It really is very
      easy to create the test XP. Download the zip file, unzip it and run
      the executable.

      http://www.profantasy.com/beta/fcwxp.zip

      Simon Rogers
    • Anna M. Dobritt
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 22, 2001
        I just received Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 and installed it, along with
        the XP Starter Kit.

        I followed the directions in the FastCAD XP Programming Reference pdf
        for the settings that needed to be changed in Visual C++.

        Now I am still a beginner in creating XPs and to programming in
        general. Thought I am slowly learning C++ and Java.

        Are there any other documents around to read to learn more about
        making XPs?

        Anna

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 23, 2001
          Hi Anna and all the rest.

          > I followed the directions in the FastCAD XP Programming Reference pdf
          > for the settings that needed to be changed in Visual C++.

          To compile the test project you don't need to setup all the properties
          described in the PDF-file. The project already have these properties set.
          You might need to modify the path to your CC2-folder. See the readme.txt
          file for more info on how to do that.

          There is no problem following the instructions in the PDF-file, they work as
          well.

          > Now I am still a beginner in creating XPs and to programming in
          > general. Thought I am slowly learning C++ and Java.

          To write XP's you need to know some basic C. There is no need to use C++,
          but you can if you want to. See the readme-file on how to call the FastCAD
          API functions from a cpp-file.

          > Are there any other documents around to read to learn more about
          > making XPs?

          The only written documentation is the PDF-file and the FCW32.TXT listing all
          available functions. There are also to sample projects: CXPTEST and
          CXPTEST2. These will serve as a good starting point.

          I would recommend to start with a simple project, maybe converting a macro
          to an XP. Start by expanding the CompileTest project with a new command and
          read the the relevant parts of xpdoc.pdf (chapter 6 is a good starting
          point). Then ask all your questions on this list. :-)

          There is an SVG export filter project starting up. It will result in a lot
          of discussions of the entity structures. There are other aspects of XP
          programming like dialog boxes and drawing and edit commands that are
          interesting as well. If anyone rather work on another project that they like
          to share with the list you are more than welcome. Starting small is a good
          idea. Any interesting macro that you want to rewrite as an XP??

          Peter
        • Bruce A. Carson
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 23, 2001
            Simon & Peter:

            I had no problems getting the small sample to compile - there were
            hard-coded .lib paths that I had to change, but no real issues.

            The "Starter" however seems to be relying on a .h that was not included.
            And again there were hard-coded .lib paths that needed changing. Also
            Mysvc.c should do a #include <Extend/MySVC.h>.
            Below is the first bit of errors that are popping up after fixing the things
            that I could:

            c:\src\fcwxp\xpdev\extend\mysvc.h(125) : error C2143: syntax error : missing
            '{' before '*'
            C:\src\FCWXP\Xpdev\Extend\Mysvc.c(109) : error C2373: '_IBlkSVC' :
            redefinition; different type modifiers
            c:\src\fcwxp\xpdev\extend\mysvc.h(30) : see declaration of
            '_IBlkSVC'
            C:\src\FCWXP\Xpdev\Extend\Mysvc.c(128) : error C2198: '_IBlkSVC' : too few
            actual parameters
            C:\src\FCWXP\Xpdev\Extend\Mysvc.c(131) : error C2373: '_DsAbCtl' :
            redefinition; different type modifiers
            c:\src\fcwxp\xpdev\extend\mysvc.h(33) : see declaration of
            '_DsAbCtl'
            C:\src\FCWXP\Xpdev\Extend\Mysvc.c(136) : error C2198: '_DsAbCtl' : too few
            actual parameters
            C:\src\FCWXP\Xpdev\Extend\Mysvc.c(193) : warning C4030: first formal
            parameter list longer than the second list
            C:\src\FCWXP\Xpdev\Extend\Mysvc.c(193) : warning C4028: formal parameter 1
            different from declaration
            C:\src\FCWXP\Xpdev\Extend\Mysvc.c(196) : warning C4027: function declared
            without formal parameter list
            The first error refers to a symbol which is not declared anywhere. I did a
            grep for GNLIST2 though all files and it is not defined in anything that has
            been sent or that came with CC2. Here is the line it refers to:

            GNLIST2 *XPCALL Tx2BoxExt(GTEXT2 *p);

            Thanks,
            Bruce
          • Anna M. Dobritt
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 23, 2001
              Hi!

              I followed the information in the readme.txt and when I compiled the test, the following error came back:

              c:\cxptest\project\compiletest\source\compiletest.c(54) : fatal error C1010: unexpected end of file while looking for precompiled header directive

              I have another question as well, is the fcwxp files the same ones in the xpdeveloper kit that comes with CC2?

              Anna

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 23, 2001
                Anna,

                This means that it cannot find the precompiled header file for the project.  In order to speed up compiles MSVC, by default, uses them.  They are (normally) called stdafx.h (header) and stdafx.cpp (implementation).  You can disable there use by doing the following:

                1) Choose project Settings
                2) On the C/C++ tab select the drop down item "Precompiled Headers"
                3) Select the radio button "Not using Precompiled Headers"

                Bruce

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 24, 2001
                  > I had no problems getting the small sample to compile - there were
                  > hard-coded .lib paths that I had to change, but no real issues.

                  The installation is hardcoded to work when installed in the C:\FCWXP
                  directory. I know it is not a good way of doing it. It avoids some issues,
                  but create other problems.

                  Have you changed the include path?

                  Project -> Settings... -> C/C++ -> Preprocessor -> Additional include
                  directories

                  > The first error refers to a symbol which is not declared anywhere. I did
                  > grep for GNLIST2 though all files and it is not defined in anything that
                  has
                  > been sent or that came with CC2.

                  The GNLIST2 structure is defined in _geomtry.h

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 24, 2001
                    > I have another question as well, is the fcwxp files the same ones in the
                    > xpdeveloper kit that comes with CC2?

                    Most of them yes. There are a few new files like MySVC.h to add new glue
                    routines and there are probably some minor changes to the header files as
                    well that havn't made it into the official toolkit version.

                    Peter
                  • Bruce A. Carson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 24, 2001
                      Peter,

                      1) Yep - I've change the Include directories and the Lib directories.
                      2) GNLIST2 is NOT defined in _geomtry.h, nor in any other file that was sent
                      as the "Getting Started" project or the CC2 XP development kit. If it is
                      defined in your _geomtry.h there are two possibilities:
                      a) You have modified _geomtry.h at some point in the past
                      b) You have different version of the development kit

                      I am at a total loss since neither of these make sense - you put together
                      the "starter project" and it includes the same version of "_geomtry.h" that
                      I have so it cannot be (a) or (b)! -- Unless you just sent the code to
                      someone else who then packaged it in an intaller?

                      Bruce

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 24, 2001
                        OUPS!!!

                        My mistake. I included the header files from the original toolkit, not my
                        modified versions. This currently affects the SVG project, not the
                        TestCompile. However the updated header files will be useful for later
                        projects.

                        Since Simon isn't working today I have uploaded a new version to:
                        http://www.pkdata.se/xp/download/

                        How many has got this toolkit installation to work?

                        Peter
                      • Bruce A. Carson
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 24, 2001
                          It is working perfectly now!

                          Bruce

                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 27, 2001
                            Still having problems making the test xp. It has to do with setting
                            up Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0.

                            I was wondering if it would be easier to place the *.h files and the
                            rest in the folders that are normally accessed by MSV when compiling
                            and building than changing all the Project Settings.

                            Anna

                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 27, 2001
                              Hi Anna.

                              In the short term perspective it could be easier to just copy the header
                              files, but in the long run it is easier to setup the directories properly so
                              you can find and update the files later.

                              If you install the starting project in the default directory C:\FCWXP the
                              project should be all setup to work properly. If you install in any other
                              path you need to change some settings:

                              For include files:

                              Go to Project -> Settings... -> C/C++ -> Category Preprocessor ->
                              Additional include directories and update the path to the correct location.

                              For library files:

                              Go to Project -> Settings... -> Link -> Object/library path and update the
                              path for FCW32.LIB.

                              It is also possible to change the global directory settings for VC++ in
                              Tools -> Options... -> Directories

                              Update "Include files" and "Library files" with the xpdev directory.

                              To change the directory for your CC2 installation follow the readme included
                              in the setup.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 27, 2001
                                VC6 is a bit of a pain to get set up, but if you're going to work on
                                many XP projects, it needs to be mastered. I myself still find
                                it anoying, as they have very little documentation on how
                                the product works - we mostly learn by trial and error and
                                exploring their help files. I can only recommend patience.

                                Mike

                                Peter Olsson wrote:

                                > Hi Anna.
                                >
                                > In the short term perspective it could be easier to just copy the header
                                > files, but in the long run it is easier to setup the directories properly so
                                > you can find and update the files later.
                                >
                                > If you install the starting project in the default directory C:\FCWXP the
                                > project should be all setup to work properly. If you install in any other
                                > path you need to change some settings:
                                >
                                > For include files:
                                >
                                > Go to Project -> Settings... -> C/C++ -> Category Preprocessor ->
                                > Additional include directories and update the path to the correct location.
                                >
                                > For library files:
                                >
                                > Go to Project -> Settings... -> Link -> Object/library path and update the
                                > path for FCW32.LIB.
                                >
                                > It is also possible to change the global directory settings for VC++ in
                                > Tools -> Options... -> Directories
                                >
                                > Update "Include files" and "Library files" with the xpdev directory.
                                >
                                > To change the directory for your CC2 installation follow the readme included
                                > in the setup.
                                >
                                > Peter

                              • Bruce A. Carson
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 27, 2001
                                  Anna,

                                  If you haven't already done so, I suggest that you visit a book store and
                                  pick up a book on Visual C++. There are a great many good books on the
                                  subject - that are actually fairly well-written.

                                  As Mike Riddle suggests in a later e-mail, you should use the:

                                  TOOLS->OPTIONS->DIRECTORIES menu/tab to add the XP development .h files you
                                  the include search path and use the drop-down that appears on that screen to
                                  include the directory that contains the fcw32.lib file.

                                  Then edit the:
                                  PROJECT->SETTINGS->LINK menu/tab and remove the hard-coded path the
                                  fcw32.lib.
                                  Also on this same tab is the "output" file name. If CC2 is installed in a
                                  non-default directory you will have to change this. Additionally the DEBUG
                                  tab of this dialog box will also have to be changed if CC2 is not in C:\CC2.

                                  NOTE: This project "makes" a debug DLL. In order to build the "release"
                                  version you need to use the menu:
                                  BUILD->SET ACTIVE CONFIGURATION
                                  The PROJECT->SETTINGS you choose above must also be setup for the release
                                  version or it will fail to build.

                                  HTH,
                                  Bruce