RE: [cc2-dev-l] Re: Encouraging XP development

    Message 1 of 46 , Nov 16, 2001
      Chris Conboy is writing one of these in Visual Basic.
      Simon

      A few thoughts from a new "developer":

      One thing I'd love to see is a menu/toolbar manager. I
      don't know if that can be accomplished via an XP, but
      I'd love to see it. It would save me a lot of work writing
      my own. ;-)

      For the campaign manager, the database should
      be XML-based so that users can add to the basic
      schema if they want. The file format/schema should
      be publically available. IMO, proprietary databases like
      Access should not even be under consideration - not
      everyone has Access.

      On SourceForge: they are nice, but not without problems.
      See:

      http://www.fsfeurope.org/news/article2001-10-20-01.en.html
      http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/11/14/1833216&mode=thread

      -Phil

    • amdobritt
      Message 46 of 46 , Nov 15, 2005
        I'm willing to be a guinea pig. :)

        Tutorials on how to make an XP would be good too.

        Anna M. Dobritt
        Cartography Unlimited for RPGs
        http://www.rpgcartography.com

        --- In cc2-dev-l@yahoogroups.com, "L. Lee Saunders" <saunderl@h...>
        wrote:

        > Everyone,
        >
        > The Microsoft .Net Framework has been our since 2002. When it was
        first
        > released I tried to integrate it with CC2. Building an unmanaged
        C++ dill
        > (XP) that ran under CC2 was simple but trying to call managed C# or
        VB.Net
        > code from an unmanaged dll was out of the range of most casual
        programmers
        > (Or full time programmers, like myself, that only wanted to do this
        for a
        > hobby and not for work.)
        >
        > But now with the release of the 2.0 version of the Framework, most
        of the
        > interop issues are fixed so it is quite simple.
        >
        > Microsoft is giving away the scaled down version of there IDE at:
        > http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/
        >
        > You can download the C#, the VB and the C++ editions! To create a
        CC2 XP
        > dll you will also need to download (for free) the Win32 SDK, but
        that is
        > explained on the C++ express edition page.
        >
        > I've rewritten the random name generator XP that I did as a bridge
        between
        > C++ and VB6, in C#. It works flawlessly. This opens up the ease
        of use C#
        > for things like database access and forms programming. It does not
        get the
        > programmer out of having to learn the CC2 entites database and
        functions
        > though. Maybe a bridge can be created later but not now.
        >
        > So, is there enough interest in writing hybrid C++/C# or VB.Net
        XP's on this