Encouraging XP development

  • simon@profantasy.com
    Message 1 of 46 , Nov 14, 2001
      We'd like to encourage people to write XPs for CC2. To this end, I'd
      like to propose that we start a project to which more than one person
      can contribute. We'll get everyone set up with the toolkit, and the
      project will enable everyone to get to grips with it.

      The project will be in C. Everyone will require MS Visual C++ version
      5 or 6. We'll post links to the latest toolkit and limited
      documentation when it is underway. I'd like to see a few suggestions
      on the list, as well as volunteers to participate, and even run it.
      Here are a few suggestions to get you started:

      Campaign database - information stored in the map with details of
      cities, towns, etc.

      Combat/Skirmish manager. Symbols of characters with movement, ranged
      weapon information can be controlled on a turn by turn basis.

      Random city, dungeon or landscape generation.

      Hex mapper

      Suggested projects should be able to be broken down into discrete
      units so that everyone has something to work on.

      Simon Rogers
      ProFantasy Software Ltd
    • amdobritt
      Message 46 of 46 , Nov 15, 2005
        I'm willing to be a guinea pig. :)

        Tutorials on how to make an XP would be good too.

        Anna M. Dobritt
        Cartography Unlimited for RPGs
        http://www.rpgcartography.com

        --- In cc2-dev-l@yahoogroups.com, "L. Lee Saunders" <saunderl@h...>
        wrote:

        > Everyone,
        >
        > The Microsoft .Net Framework has been our since 2002. When it was
        first
        > released I tried to integrate it with CC2. Building an unmanaged
        C++ dill
        > (XP) that ran under CC2 was simple but trying to call managed C# or
        VB.Net
        > code from an unmanaged dll was out of the range of most casual
        programmers
        > (Or full time programmers, like myself, that only wanted to do this
        for a
        > hobby and not for work.)
        >
        > But now with the release of the 2.0 version of the Framework, most
        of the
        > interop issues are fixed so it is quite simple.
        >
        > Microsoft is giving away the scaled down version of there IDE at:
        > http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/
        >
        > You can download the C#, the VB and the C++ editions! To create a
        CC2 XP
        > dll you will also need to download (for free) the Win32 SDK, but
        that is
        > explained on the C++ express edition page.
        >
        > I've rewritten the random name generator XP that I did as a bridge
        between
        > C++ and VB6, in C#. It works flawlessly. This opens up the ease
        of use C#
        > for things like database access and forms programming. It does not
        get the
        > programmer out of having to learn the CC2 entites database and
        functions
        > though. Maybe a bridge can be created later but not now.
        >
        > So, is there enough interest in writing hybrid C++/C# or VB.Net
        XP's on this