Symbol redraw

  • Max Skibinsky
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
      Hi!

      I'm wondering - what controls how symbol is redrawn when placed or dragged? I have catalog of custom
      symbols where all symbols are invisible when cursor is static. I see blinking outlines only when
      cursor is moving, and that makes it incredibly hard to place them right... Is there is any way to
      mark certain entities in symbol to be redrawn at all times?

      Thanks!

      - Max
    • Golden, Christopher
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
        Max Skibinsky wrote:

        > I'm wondering - what controls how symbol is redrawn when placed
        > or dragged? I have catalog of custom symbols where all symbols
        > are invisible when cursor is static. I see blinking outlines only
        > when cursor is moving, and that makes it incredibly hard to place
        > them right... Is there is any way to mark certain entities in
        > symbol to be redrawn at all times?

        Happily enough, the way to ensure that symbols are always
        drawn while being moved involves no code, just alterations
        to the symbols themselves. All you need to do is make
        sure that symbols never feature an even number of entities
        with the same shape in the same position.

        Thus, for example, if you have a symbol that consists of
        a white polygon with an overlaid hollow black polygon of
        the same size and shape, you will not be able to see the
        symbol very easily when it is moving. If you copy the
        outline polygon and add the copy to the symbol, then you
        will have three identically-shaped polygons stacked on top
        of one another, and the symbol will be perfectly visible
        while moving.

        Take care,
        Chris G.
        golden@...
      • Max Skibinsky
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
          Thanks Chris! That was 100% bull's-eye! My symbols looked exactly like you described :)

          - Max

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2001
            Bascially, an odd number of outlines will XOR properly on the screen, an
            even number won't

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/