Re: [cc2-dev-l] Mappa Harnica palette

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 14, 2001
      I just checked, and what is saved and restored with DWGCMAP is
      unfortunately the color map - the mapping of entity colors to specified
      line widths, not the color palette itself.

      I can add this to the next version 6.4, and to the V7 core, but nothing
      is available now. sorry.

      Max Skibinsky wrote:

      > > current palette however. At any rate, the palette data is in the drawing as
      > > an InfoBlock. I'll check and see what the format, commands, etc. are.
      >
      > Infoblock sounds terrific! I have hardcoded RGB table for now. rewriting it with infoblock color
      > table will be very easy, much better then ask user to find and load some .PAL file.
      >
      > - Max

    • Christopher Golden
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 14, 2001
        Mike Riddle wrote:

        > I just checked, and what is saved and restored with DWGCMAP is
        > unfortunately the color map - the mapping of entity colors to specified
        > line widths, not the color palette itself.
        >
        > I can add this to the next version 6.4, and to the V7 core, but nothing
        > is available now. sorry.

        Still, this would be great! If I may run with this for a
        moment: Each template would have a palette. This way, for
        example, Mappa Harnica templates would all contain our
        custom palette. FSC files are a bit trickier -- they should
        contain the palette as well, so that one can design such
        catalogs with the same custom palette one uses in maps, but
        obviously if you place a symbol in another file (FCW, FCT,
        etc.), the symbol catalog's palette should be ignored. In
        other words, palettes would never be exported from one file
        to another, unless explicitly ordered by the user (more on
        that below).

        Whenever an FCW file was opened, by any instance of CC2, the
        FCW's palette would take precedence over the current CC2
        palette. Hmm, actually, it would be really nice to have a
        new CC2 option, "Use palette within FCW file", that could be
        turned off in case the user wants to use his/her own palette
        instead of whatever the file contains. This would be a
        global CC2 option, not a per-file setting.

        Going along with this, there would be a "Save current palette
        to map..." command, to be used when the user really wants to
        ditch the palette contained within the FCW file, and replace
        it with the currently loaded palette. The latter would then
        be placed in the FCW file in place of the former.

        My two cents, anyway. This would make Mappa Harnica maps,
        and other maps with custom palettes, ten times easier to
        distribute. Right now, we have to package the palette files
        with the maps, and direct the viewer to copy the palette
        into his or her CC2 directory before using the maps. This
        is laborious, and presents problems if the user has to man-
        age multiple custom palettes. It sounds to me like minimal
        effort could be expended to make CC2 much more versatile.
        People might start customizing palettes left and right...

        Thanks!
        Christopher Golden
        golden@...
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 14, 2001
          There are several issues, some of which you mention, with multiple
          palettes. While I *will* implement something like we are discussing,
          the real solution is that used in the V7 core - the palette is just a
          convienient color selector - colors get stored as 32-bit RGB and flags
          (palette index or RGB, etc.) values. This makes them portable amoung
          systems with differing user palettes, solves the symbol catalog and
          XREF problems, etc. and allows as large a selection of colors
          as anyone desires.

        • Max Skibinsky
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 14, 2001
            > I can add this to the next version 6.4, and to the V7 core, but nothing
            > is available now. sorry.

            Not a problem. I will just hardcore MH palette in the code as menu option and additional option
            would be to load *.PAL file.

            Christopher, can you please send me MH PAL file?

            Thanks to all for help!

            - Max