Registry key holding CC2 directory

  • Christopher Golden
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2001
      I'm hoping to automate installation and uninstallation of the Mappa
      Harnica software add-on for CC2. I'm assuming that to get the CC2
      installation directory, I should query the registry. Is this key:

      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EvolutionComputing\CampaignCartographer

      the one I want to query? Or is there a better one?

      Thanks in advance!
      Christopher Golden (CHMP member)
      golden@...
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4, 2001
        > I'm hoping to automate installation and uninstallation of the Mappa
        > Harnica software add-on for CC2. I'm assuming that to get the CC2
        > installation directory, I should query the registry. Is this key:
        >
        > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EvolutionComputing\CampaignCartographer
        >
        > the one I want to query? Or is there a better one?

        Try the value for "AppPath". I don't think there is a better one.

        Peter
      • Chris Conboy
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2001
          Christopher Golden wrote:

          > I'm hoping to automate installation and uninstallation of the Mappa
          > Harnica software add-on for CC2. I'm assuming that to get the CC2
          > installation directory, I should query the registry. Is this key:
          >
          > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EvolutionComputing\CampaignCartographer
          >
          > the one I want to query? Or is there a better one?

          My approach:

          -- First look in EvolutionComputing key
          HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\EvolutionComputing\CampaignCartographer\AppPath

          -- Second look in FastCAD key (if not found above)
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\FastCAD\DefaultIcon\(Default)

          -- Third look in App Paths\FCW32.exe (if not found above)
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
          CurrentVersion\App Paths\FCW32.EXE\Path

          Beyond that, ask the user to find it, or sol.

          -Chris
        • Christopher Golden
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 5, 2001
            Chris Conboy wrote:

            > My approach:
            >
            > -- First look in EvolutionComputing key
            > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\EvolutionComputing\CampaignCartographer\AppPath
            >
            > -- Second look in FastCAD key (if not found above)
            > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\FastCAD\DefaultIcon\(Default)
            >
            > -- Third look in App Paths\FCW32.exe (if not found above)
            > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
            > CurrentVersion\App Paths\FCW32.EXE\Path
            >
            > Beyond that, ask the user to find it, or sol.

            Thanks to both you and Peter for the info you've provided!

            One question, though -- is there any reason why the first one
            would *not* be filled in if the user has a valid CC2 install-
            ation? In other words, will there ever be any instances in
            which the second or third options are required, assuming that
            the user has a properly-installed version of CC2?

            Thanks again!
            Chris G.
            golden@...
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 5, 2001
              > One question, though -- is there any reason why the first one
              > would *not* be filled in if the user has a valid CC2 install-
              > ation? In other words, will there ever be any instances in
              > which the second or third options are required, assuming that
              > the user has a properly-installed version of CC2?

              I think the AppPath Value (and the rest of them) is updated every time you
              start a new session. With a properly-installed copy of CC2 the AppPath value
              should be correct. I don't think you have to look for the others. At least I
              shouldn't bother to do that.

              Peter
            • Chris Conboy
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 5, 2001
                Christopher Golden wrote:

                > Chris Conboy wrote:
                >
                > > My approach:
                > >
                > > -- First look in EvolutionComputing key
                > > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\EvolutionComputing\CampaignCartographer\AppPath
                > >
                > > -- Second look in FastCAD key (if not found above)
                > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\FastCAD\DefaultIcon\(Default)
                > >
                > > -- Third look in App Paths\FCW32.exe (if not found above)
                > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
                > > CurrentVersion\App Paths\FCW32.EXE\Path
                > >
                > > Beyond that, ask the user to find it, or sol.
                >
                > Thanks to both you and Peter for the info you've provided!
                >
                > One question, though -- is there any reason why the first one
                > would *not* be filled in if the user has a valid CC2 install-
                > ation? In other words, will there ever be any instances in
                > which the second or third options are required, assuming that
                > the user has a properly-installed version of CC2?

                I can't recall the dim past where this approach proved useful.
                But I have seen it fall thru the top to the others.
                It happens sometimes.
                For me, I wrote the code for it at the time, left it in, it has run since then
                (beyond the first case), I don't recall the exact reasons, I have guesses, but
                don't care much at the moment <grin>. 'program-it-and-forget-about-it' here.
                I often program for a complete solution, and it is easy enough for me to leave
                in...

                Glad it may have helped some!
                -Chris
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 5, 2001
                  When can it fail to find the first key? When the install directory has been
                  copied or backed up to another system without a full install, or when you
                  try to use it before the main program has been run, but after installation.
                  (The main program sets up many registry keys each time it is run,
                  rather than trusting an install to do so. This is why a directory
                  copy can be made to work by forcing a load from an explicit
                  location. Note that update will *not* run without the AppPath key
                  in place.

                  Mike