Re: [cc2-dev-l] IconBars

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2001
      From 1st year css: to all:

      Could you imagine a 1st year CSS, (back when there was no CSS) picking a
      character
      that no operating system at his university used and then years later, after
      many were
      using his software, finding that others had the temerity to usurp for their use
      without even asking him?

      Please understand that FastCAD traces its roots all the way back to 1977-78
      and that customers have desired compatibility with older systems as a continual
      feature?

      Since EVERY line of a menu/icon file has the first colon with it's fixed use,
      there is no systatical error in the use of the colon - when used
      as part of a file name, it will not be the first colon, ever.
      This enables the file to be scanned without error.

      1st year CSS (I am trying to become a soph, but it's ahrd spelling!
      Mike

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2001
        I'll go sit in the corner now...and sulk...I realized shortly after sending my last
        that
        I now have the option of a file name for icons that the user customizes, and that
        the colon can be a part of that name, and that it occurs before the
        standard syntax colon.

        Since I don't want to require everyone to change their existing menus
        the following options occur to me, for those people who use multiple
        non-networked drives with fixed paths (I tend to assume icons are
        in the FastCAD install directory) I could optionally allow quotes around the
        file name to facilitate parsing this situation, or I could provide some mechanism
        for a MNU (not the IMN which is appended to the MNU file) to specify
        that ALL uses of : in the menu file that are not file names are replaced
        with an alternate character.

        My recommendation is to put your custom icons in the fastcad
        install directory, with the MNU files, and then this won't be an issue.

        Mike

        Mike Riddle wrote:

        > >From 1st year css: to all:
        >
        > Could you imagine a 1st year CSS, (back when there was no CSS) picking a
        > character
        > that no operating system at his university used and then years later, after
        > many were
        > using his software, finding that others had the temerity to usurp for their use
        > without even asking him?
        >
        > Please understand that FastCAD traces its roots all the way back to 1977-78
        > and that customers have desired compatibility with older systems as a continual
        > feature?
        >
        > Since EVERY line of a menu/icon file has the first colon with it's fixed use,
        > there is no systatical error in the use of the colon - when used
        > as part of a file name, it will not be the first colon, ever.
        > This enables the file to be scanned without error.
        >
        > 1st year CSS (I am trying to become a soph, but it's ahrd spelling!
        > Mike
        >
        > Chris Conboy wrote:
        >
        > > Could you possibly imagine a first-year computer science student using a ":"
        > > (colon) as a delimiter for a text file that has to be parsed to extract file
        > > path names?
        > >
        > > Cretinous.
        > >
        > > @$%$!*$!!!!
        > >
        > > Never in all my days.
        > >
        > > I'm absolutely speechless.
        > > Everyone at my house is absolutely speechless.
        > >
        > > @$%$!*$!!!!
        > >
        > > Can you say, "ooops?"
        > >
        > > Right.
        > >
        > > So "#" it is, then.
        > >
        > > -Chris Conboy

      • Bruce A. Carson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2001
          Also...Interestingly (but unimportantly) the # character is used
          as a "all-subdirectories" wildcard on the AOS/VS (Data General)
          operating system.

          Bruce

        • Chris Conboy
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2001
            Mike Riddle wrote:

            > I'll go sit in the corner now...and sulk...I realized shortly after sending my
            > last that I now have the option of a file name for icons that the user
            > customizes, and that the colon can be a part of that name, and that it occurs
            > before the standard syntax colon.

            Heh, heh, heh, oops, sorry.
            You have to realize that the previous "flamer" I sent was during a fever I had,
            since broke!, shouldn't program or send email while feverish...

            I appreciate your humility, though! -g

            I also appreciate the history of your little bit of development here that we all
            use, I have long since done my research into your bit of stuff, very impressive.

            Also, even with fever, I attempted some humor...

            Oh, by the way, I'm almost finished creating an app that allows a user to do
            cool stuff programmatically with the CC2 IconBars. It's in final testing now,
            release only awaiting smashing final bugs. Sometime this month.

            If any changes are made to the mnu file layout please keep us (me!) abreast.

            > > > So "#" it is, then.

            Heh, heh, Right.

            -Chris Conboy