IconBars

  • Chris Conboy
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 29, 2000
      Could you possibly imagine a first-year computer science student using a ":"
      (colon) as a delimiter for a text file that has to be parsed to extract file
      path names?

      Cretinous.

      @$%$!*$!!!!

      Never in all my days.

      I'm absolutely speechless.
      Everyone at my house is absolutely speechless.

      @$%$!*$!!!!

      Can you say, "ooops?"

      Right.

      So "#" it is, then.

      -Chris Conboy
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2001
        From 1st year css: to all:

        Could you imagine a 1st year CSS, (back when there was no CSS) picking a
        character
        that no operating system at his university used and then years later, after
        many were
        using his software, finding that others had the temerity to usurp for their use
        without even asking him?

        Please understand that FastCAD traces its roots all the way back to 1977-78
        and that customers have desired compatibility with older systems as a continual
        feature?

        Since EVERY line of a menu/icon file has the first colon with it's fixed use,
        there is no systatical error in the use of the colon - when used
        as part of a file name, it will not be the first colon, ever.
        This enables the file to be scanned without error.

        1st year CSS (I am trying to become a soph, but it's ahrd spelling!
        Mike

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2001
          I'll go sit in the corner now...and sulk...I realized shortly after sending my last
          that
          I now have the option of a file name for icons that the user customizes, and that
          the colon can be a part of that name, and that it occurs before the
          standard syntax colon.

          Since I don't want to require everyone to change their existing menus
          the following options occur to me, for those people who use multiple
          non-networked drives with fixed paths (I tend to assume icons are
          in the FastCAD install directory) I could optionally allow quotes around the
          file name to facilitate parsing this situation, or I could provide some mechanism
          for a MNU (not the IMN which is appended to the MNU file) to specify
          that ALL uses of : in the menu file that are not file names are replaced
          with an alternate character.

          My recommendation is to put your custom icons in the fastcad
          install directory, with the MNU files, and then this won't be an issue.

          Mike

          Mike Riddle wrote:

          > >From 1st year css: to all:
          >
          > Could you imagine a 1st year CSS, (back when there was no CSS) picking a
          > character
          > that no operating system at his university used and then years later, after
          > many were
          > using his software, finding that others had the temerity to usurp for their use
          > without even asking him?
          >
          > Please understand that FastCAD traces its roots all the way back to 1977-78
          > and that customers have desired compatibility with older systems as a continual
          > feature?
          >
          > Since EVERY line of a menu/icon file has the first colon with it's fixed use,
          > there is no systatical error in the use of the colon - when used
          > as part of a file name, it will not be the first colon, ever.
          > This enables the file to be scanned without error.
          >
          > 1st year CSS (I am trying to become a soph, but it's ahrd spelling!
          > Mike
          >
          > Chris Conboy wrote:
          >
          > > Could you possibly imagine a first-year computer science student using a ":"
          > > (colon) as a delimiter for a text file that has to be parsed to extract file
          > > path names?
          > >
          > > Cretinous.
          > >
          > > @$%$!*$!!!!
          > >
          > > Never in all my days.
          > >
          > > I'm absolutely speechless.
          > > Everyone at my house is absolutely speechless.
          > >
          > > @$%$!*$!!!!
          > >
          > > Can you say, "ooops?"
          > >
          > > Right.
          > >
          > > So "#" it is, then.
          > >
          > > -Chris Conboy

        • Bruce A. Carson
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2001
            Also...Interestingly (but unimportantly) the # character is used
            as a "all-subdirectories" wildcard on the AOS/VS (Data General)
            operating system.

            Bruce

          • Chris Conboy
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2001
              Mike Riddle wrote:

              > I'll go sit in the corner now...and sulk...I realized shortly after sending my
              > last that I now have the option of a file name for icons that the user
              > customizes, and that the colon can be a part of that name, and that it occurs
              > before the standard syntax colon.

              Heh, heh, heh, oops, sorry.
              You have to realize that the previous "flamer" I sent was during a fever I had,
              since broke!, shouldn't program or send email while feverish...

              I appreciate your humility, though! -g

              I also appreciate the history of your little bit of development here that we all
              use, I have long since done my research into your bit of stuff, very impressive.

              Also, even with fever, I attempted some humor...

              Oh, by the way, I'm almost finished creating an app that allows a user to do
              cool stuff programmatically with the CC2 IconBars. It's in final testing now,
              release only awaiting smashing final bugs. Sometime this month.

              If any changes are made to the mnu file layout please keep us (me!) abreast.

              > > > So "#" it is, then.

              Heh, heh, Right.

              -Chris Conboy