Very Newbie here

  • Frank -n- Kim
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 27, 2000
      Hello everyone.  I have a few questions to you learned folk - I hope you won't roll your eyes in desperation at my ignorance:

      1.  I am having a hard time seeing the usefulness in these XP progs.  Why are they needed or why would you go through the trouble writing a program that would do the same thing all the time.  I guess I am just having a hard time seeing what they are capable of doing <shrug>

      2.  Assuming you gentle readers are able to explain their usefulness - where would I begin my search for a program to write such XPs?

      Thank you in advance for your answers and advice

      Frank Whited
    • Christopher Golden
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 27, 2000
        Frank -n- Kim wrote:

        > Hello everyone. I have a few questions to you learned folk - I hope you won't roll your eyes in
        > desperation at my ignorance:

        Absolutely not! Welcome to the list. I've found it to be an
        incredibly helpful resource for my XP programming, whether my
        questions were basic or a little more advanced.

        > 1. I am having a hard time seeing the usefulness in these XP progs. Why are they needed or why
        > would you go through the trouble writing a program that would do the same thing all the time. I
        > guess I am just having a hard time seeing what they are capable of doing <shrug>

        I never found a need to write XPs until I started wanting to
        do "fancier" stuff with CC2. For example, the group with whom
        I'm involved in a CC2 project has felt a need for a command
        that would allow the user to add randomly-selected symbols to
        a map (just like normal symbol placement, but using a randomly
        chosen symbol each time, instead of the same symbol). So we've
        written an XP providing a command that does this.

        The group with whom I'm involved is the CC2 Harn Mapping Pro-
        ject. Our public web page is at

        http://www.minarsas.demon.co.uk/harn/chmp/index.htm

        We are hoping to be able to release a beta of our toolkit soon.
        When it is released, it will be free for download.

        > 2. Assuming you gentle readers are able to explain their usefulness - where would I begin my
        > search for a program to write such XPs?

        I got my start with the tutorial-style PDF document that comes
        with the XP developer's toolkit. I believe that the toolkit
        is included as a ZIP file on the CC2 installation CDROM, and
        you should find the PDF file therein. Be forewarned -- the XP
        toolkit documentation is incomplete, but luckily there are a
        number of helpful folks on this list...

        Take care,
        Chris G.
        golden@...
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 27, 2000

          Hello everyone.  I have a few questions to you learned folk - I hope you won't roll your eyes in desperation at my ignorance:

          1.  I am having a hard time seeing the usefulness in these XP progs.  Why are they needed or why would you go through the trouble writing a program that would do the same thing all the time.  I guess I am just having a hard time seeing what they are capable of doing <shrug>

          The house and street commands in City Designer 2 are written with the XP toolkit, as is the fractal command. What more need I say?