Hello

  • mriddle@fastcad.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2000
      Hi - while I am very busy at the moment getting V7 "out the door", I
      will check this list every day or two and see what I can contribute.
      thought I might start with a short discussion of the whys of V7 XP
      changes.

      First, V7 itself is designed to be up to 40x faster than V6, enabling
      much better use of dynamics, etc. CC2 maps when converted are visibly
      *much* faster.

      This is in spite of the conversion to double-precision, which is
      necessary more for some of the core programs other uses, such as
      commercial lang use mapping.

      The V7 core is intended to accomidate both 2d and 3d applications,
      with optimized performance for both. There will be many unique uses
      of
      3d possible in the new CC environment, but you won't pay any penalty
      if 3d is not used. Actions will be able to support 3d point of view
      animations, etc.

      The many real changes for XP developers stem from two decisions: The
      database geometry had to change for double precision, and we closed
      the gap between assembly and C/C++ development. Almost everything is
      or will be available to the C/C++ programmer, without any extra
      "thunking" layers of code.

      Much of V7s internal structure is now in the form of C++ compatible
      objects, such as database scanning, custom entity support, low-level
      geometry draw functionality, etc. This should provide a much more
      consistent working environment - I know that I cringe whenever I have
      to work on the older V6 core, even though its good code - its just
      more work.

      Hope the above sheds a bit of light as to why we've added to your
      workload - it was not done lightly, and we should all expect some
      real
      gains from it.