[cc2-dev-l] The DevZone

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 5, 2000
      Hello CC2 Developers,

      I'd just like to take a minute and tell this group that the DevZone is about you.  What you want to do with CC2 and how you can accomplish it.

      So tell me, what would you like to learn?  Do you want to create an XP to draw spirals?  Do you want to write a Random Name Generator that through Intercom lets you place random names directly into CC2?  Do you have data outside CC2, like a 3D star chart that you would like to automatically import into CC2 by having your program write a script?  Do you have a graphics program that you've written and you would like it to be able to output an FCW file?

      Tell me what your plans are and I'll try to mold my tutorials around your efforts!

      BTW do not think of these different ways to automate CC2 in a vacuum because you gain the greatest amount of power by combining these styles.

      L. Lee Saunders
    • FC2(SW) Matthew Lynn
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 5, 2000
        lee-
        my current "dream feature" for cc2 is a viewer capable of allowing
        another program (either in vb, what i'm learning know, or in c, what i
        want to learn next) to display the fcw files without having to open the
        cc2 program directly. obviously, it would need to print it out as well.
        chasmyr
        http://www.fly.to/chasmyrsgrotto

      • Bruce A. Carson
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 5, 2000
          I have to agree this would be the most useful feature that could be added to
          CC2. Almost all Windows programs now support COM/OLE/ActiveX. CC2 is
          lagging behind in this regard.

          However, I do not think that this can be accomplished with XP or other
          programming aid. It has to be built-in to the application.

          Bruce A. Carson

          my current "dream feature" for cc2 is a viewer capable of allowing
          another program (either in vb, what i'm learning know, or in c, what i
          want to learn next) to display the fcw files without having to open the
          cc2 program directly. obviously, it would need to print it out as well.
          chasmyr
          http://www.fly.to/chasmyrsgrotto

          Planning a party? iParty.com is your complete source for party planning and
          supplies, with everything you need to throw the perfect party!
          http://click.egroups.com/1/1635/0/_/373793/_/952294256/

          -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=cc2-dev-l&m=1
        • Rob McDougall
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 5, 2000
            Sort of an CC2 viewer ActiveX control. Besides being all round useful for
            incorporating CC2 maps into other applications, it would make them more
            viewable from the web.

            I'd second this idea (although admittedly it's a lot of work).

            Rob
            "I love work ... I could watch it all day long"

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 5, 2000
              for myself, yes
              chasmyr

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 5, 2000
                Hail All,

                Actually the work is in building the tools needed to read the FCW file
                format. Once we can read the file format it is actually quite trivial to
                then reproduce the CC2 entities in a picture box. If this is of great
                interest, we can focus the next couple of weeks on the file format.

                VB, as you probably already know, can now create OCX's. So, once we get a
                CC2 file reader and displayer we can wrap it up in an OCX control for other
                developers to add to there programs. The main hurdle is that the CC2 file
                is binary in format and the tools in VB to deal with binary files are, at
                least on the surface, are slim to none.

                Since learning the file format is an evolutionary process, we will first
                learn to read the file format and find the placement and length of all the
                elements within the file.

                If this is where you want to head then I can probably get the next lesson on
                the DevZone by tonight. Is this the next update you want to see?

                L. Lee Saunders

                > Sort of an CC2 viewer ActiveX control. Besides being all round useful for
                > incorporating CC2 maps into other applications, it would make them more
                > viewable from the web.
                >
                > I'd second this idea (although admittedly it's a lot of work).
                >
                > Rob
                > "I love work ... I could watch it all day long"
                >

                > lee-
                > my current "dream feature" for cc2 is a viewer capable of allowing
                > another program (either in vb, what i'm learning know, or in c, what i
                > want to learn next) to display the fcw files without having to open the
                > cc2 program directly. obviously, it would need to print it out as well.
                > chasmyr
                > http://www.fly.to/chasmyrsgrotto

                > eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/cc2-dev-l/

              • Clay Derochie
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 5, 2000
                  Hi Lee,

                  This may be idiot question, but I'm interested in bringing objects created in vector programs into CC-2.  Is possible? Is it too obvious and I'm just missing the whole point?

                  Clay

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 6, 2000
                      Great!  When does this begin?

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 6, 2000
                        I would LOVE an ActiveX CC2 viewer for VB!

                        If this is where you want to head then I can probably get the next lesson on
                        the DevZone by tonight. Is this the next update you want to see?

                        L. Lee Saunders

                        > Sort of an CC2 viewer ActiveX control. Besides being all round useful for
                        > incorporating CC2 maps into other applications, it would make them more
                        > viewable from the web.
                        >
                        > I'd second this idea (although admittedly it's a lot of work).
                        >
                        > Rob
                        > "I love work ... I could watch it all day long"
                        >

                        > lee-
                        > my current "dream feature" for cc2 is a viewer capable of allowing
                        > another program (either in vb, what i'm learning know, or in c, what i
                        > want to learn next) to display the fcw files without having to open the
                        > cc2 program directly. obviously, it would need to print it out as well.
                        > chasmyr
                        > http://www.fly.to/chasmyrsgrotto

                        > eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/cc2-dev-l/

                        Planning a party? iParty.com is your complete source for party planning and
                        supplies, with everything you need to throw the perfect party!
                        http://click.egroups.com/1/1635/0/_/373793/_/952298268/

                        -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=cc2-dev-l&m=1
                      • Ralf Schemmann
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 7, 2000
                          "l. lee saunders" <saunder-@...> wrote:

                          > So tell me, what would you like to learn?

                          Hi everybody,

                          I have a liitle bit experience in Delphi programming and I am generally
                          interested in combining some of my stuff with CC2. But I don't have any
                          specific goals or projects at the moment, so I'll just ride along with
                          anything that comes this way.

                          Thanks for his forum, it promises to be extremely interetsing.

                          Ciao,
                          Ralf