221Re: [cc2-dev-l] Registry key holding CC2 directory

  • Chris Conboy
    Mar 5 4:15 PM
      Christopher Golden wrote:

      > Chris Conboy wrote:
      >
      > > My approach:
      > >
      > > -- First look in EvolutionComputing key
      > > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\EvolutionComputing\CampaignCartographer\AppPath
      > >
      > > -- Second look in FastCAD key (if not found above)
      > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\FastCAD\DefaultIcon\(Default)
      > >
      > > -- Third look in App Paths\FCW32.exe (if not found above)
      > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
      > > CurrentVersion\App Paths\FCW32.EXE\Path
      > >
      > > Beyond that, ask the user to find it, or sol.
      >
      > Thanks to both you and Peter for the info you've provided!
      >
      > One question, though -- is there any reason why the first one
      > would *not* be filled in if the user has a valid CC2 install-
      > ation? In other words, will there ever be any instances in
      > which the second or third options are required, assuming that
      > the user has a properly-installed version of CC2?

      I can't recall the dim past where this approach proved useful.
      But I have seen it fall thru the top to the others.
      It happens sometimes.
      For me, I wrote the code for it at the time, left it in, it has run since then
      (beyond the first case), I don't recall the exact reasons, I have guesses, but
      don't care much at the moment <grin>. 'program-it-and-forget-about-it' here.
      I often program for a complete solution, and it is easy enough for me to leave
      in...

      Glad it may have helped some!
      -Chris
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic