Re: [cathworker] How do you know?

  • David Keenan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2004
      Please Elaborate further on you question, David

      DAVID T. KEENAN

      28 Shays
      Amherst MA 01002

      413-253-4112

    • John Pieper
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2004
        Cutting to the chase...If a guy is disabled,( In my case, recovering from a
        broken neck and having a permanent problem with walking) how does he join up
        with the CAtholic Workers if , after prayer and study feels and this is
        where he is being led in his life? It's not exactly like signing up with
        the Franciscans. I guess what I'm looking for is a like-minded intentional
        Catholic community that I seee with the Catholic Worker Movement.

        Does that help elaborate further?

        Thanks.

        Peace in Christ,

        John Pieper

        Please Elaborate further on you question, David

        DAVID T. KEENAN

        28 Shays
        Amherst MA 01002

        413-253-4112

        More information about the Catholic Worker movement may be found online at
        http://www.catholicworker.org .
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Scott Mathern-Jacobson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2004
          Hi John,

          I don't know what other communities can offer, but as far as the one I live in, Duluth CW, I think a person with your disabilities would find it hard to live in any of our three houses. They are all old three story places. I have club feet and in many ways the houses are not an easy place for me physically. And I imagine that that will only increase as I get older, (I am 33 now). Sometimes my physicall limitations added to my own limitation or frustrations with hospitality isn't a pretty picture. But that is my baggage, not yours.

          I do not speak for my community on this, only myself.

          One place to contact with these questions may be the Columbia MO CW. Steve and Lana Jacobs have raised a family there, and I believe at least one of them had serious physical challenges. Their contact info is below:

          Columbia Catholic Worker Community
          913 Rangeline St
          Columbia MO 65201

          Phone: 573-875-7874, 573-442-4502 (Fax)

          Email: sfhcw913@...

          And finally, I think that the Catholic Worker should be available to any that feel called. But it is often hard to accomplish, often because of the limitiations of those already there.

          Peace, Scott Mathern-Jacobson

          John Pieper <j.h.pieper@...> wrote:

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          "Love is the measure."

          - Dorothy Day

          http://catholicworker.org/

        • John Pieper
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 4, 2004
            Thanks you Scott.

            Are you in Duluth GA or in Minnesota as I am?

            Peace is Christ,

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 5, 2004
              MN.

              Scott Mathern-Jacobson
              1614 Jefferson St
              Duluth MN 55812

              Peace

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 8, 2004
                The best way is to start your own Catholic worker House, and go from there,
                do what you can for others, with what you have, and God will provide for you.

                What a lovely surprise to finally discover how unlonely being alone can be.

                - Ellen Burstyn