Bloody Building: Protestors Confront the Pentagon

  • Scott Mathern-Jacobson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2003
      (This is an account of the Holy Innocents actions in DC.)

      Bloody Building: Protestors Confront the Pentagon
      by Sue Frankel-Streit

      As hundreds of workers streamed into the Pentagon
      early Monday morning, three men poured human blood
      over the columns, walls, and doors at the metro
      entrance, as 60 others stood with banners, asking for
      an end to warmaking. Bill Frankel-Streit of the Little
      Flower Catholic Worker in Louisa, VA, Steve Baggarly
      of the Norfolk Catholic Worker, and Steve Woolford of
      the Silk Hope Catholic Worker in NC were arrested and
      charged with "preservation of property", "disorderly
      conduct", and "admission to property", all federal
      misdemeanors. Eleven other people were arrested for
      refusing to disperse. The action marked the end of an
      annual gathering of faith-based resistors who gather
      in DC to commomorate the "massacre of the holy
      innocents," the children killed by Herod after the
      birth of Jesus. Staurday the 28th, the group of
      peacemakers, many of them children, dmeonstrated
      outside the White House against the preparartions for
      war with Iraq. Eleven people were arrested there, for
      pouroing blood and performing a "die-in" in front of
      the White House.
      The Pentagon's business is war and war is a
      bloody business. The US empire is built on the blood
      of the poor and the innocent. Our actions merely make
      visible that reality," said Baggarly and
      Frankel-Streit. Those gathered believe that the
      majority of Americans do oppose the war. They hope to
      give voice to this opposition by confronting the
      centers of power in this country.
      Amy Goodman of Pacifica Radio's "Democracy Now!"
      spoke to the group on Sunday night. She said that
      shortly before the congressional vote on support for
      Bush's war, her station called the majority of
      Senatorial offices. In every case, those answering the
      phones reported that constituent call-ins were at
      least 90% opposed to the war. Congress voted to
      support the war. (see Democracy Now web site for more
      The Pentagon protestors have court in March and
      April. The three Catholic Worker blood-pourers are
      scheduled to appear in Alexandria Federal Court on
      Friday, March 7th, at 9 am. No doubt Pentagon
      personnel has already scrubbed the blood off the
      columns and walls, but the image of that thick, red
      substance, the stuff of life, streaming off the
      building which is the warmaking center of the planet,
      will remain. Unfortunatley, we can't share that image,
      as the MPs stole our camera.

      For more information call the Norfolk Catholic Worker
      at 757-423-5420.

      "The taproot of violence in our society today is our intent to use nuclear weapons. Once we have agreed to that, all other evil is minor in comparison. Until we squarely face the questions of our consent to use nuclear weapons, any hope of large scale improvement of public morality is doomed to failure."

      - Fr. Dick McSorley, S.J.

      Do you Yahoo!?