Fwd: JULY 16—A Day of Destruction, A Day of Prayer

  • Bob Waldrop
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2013
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: JULY 16�A Day of Destruction, A Day of Prayer
      Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 14:14:36 -0400
      From: Emmanuel Charles McCarthy <emmanuel222@...>
      To: undisclosed-recipients:;

      Friends,

      It would be nice if you could come to Trinity Site and join those who
      travel to there each year on July 16 to pray for forgiveness for and
      protection from the new and still uncontrollable form of evil, suffering
      and death that was brought into the human condition by human beings on
      that day and at this place in AD1945. I realize such a pilgrimage is not
      possible for most of you, but perhaps, you could in your own way join
      those who are at Trinity Site in prayer on July 16. A commentary on the
      purpose of this twenty-four hour of prayer at Trinity Site, and the icon
      of Mary, the mother of Jesus, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel that is the
      efficacious symbol of this day, are the content of the attachment.
      Please do take a look.

      The article below was written by Sr. Pat McCarthy for the Rhode Island
      Catholic paper.

      Charlie

      P.S. Continually talking to people for God is sometimes a good thing,
      but continually talking to God for people is always a great thing.

      Inline image 1

      *A TIME OF PRAYER AT TRINITY SITE*

      -Sr. Patricia McCarthy, CND

      /Preach the truth as if we had a million voices, for it is silence that
      kills the world. -/St. Catherine of Sienna

      On July 16, 1990 a small group of people gathered down the road from the
      Army base in New Mexico where the first atomic bomb was exploded in
      1945. They gathered to pray for peace; they asked forgiveness of God for
      using that bomb and all those which followed, beginning with Hiroshima.
      They prayed for protection from all the dangers of the nuclear age. They
      prayed through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel whose feast
      is celebrated on that day.

      Among those praying was Fr. George Zabelka, the Catholic chaplain for
      the bombing crew on Tinian Island, from where the nuclear attacks on
      Japan were launched.

      Since that day the presence and prayers at Trinity Site have continued
      every year, with a twenty-four hour prayer vigil from sunset on July
      15^th to sunset on July 16^th . Some years the number of participants
      has reached two hundred. Most years it is more modest, staying at sixty
      or seventy. Over the years we have had two bishops and ten different
      priests, a few religious brothers and religious women. However, most of
      the participants are the laity, coming from nearby parishes and all over
      the United States, Canada, Europe and Japan. There have been two
      Hiroshima survivors present at different times.

      Trinity Site is desert land owned by the government under the Bureau of
      Land Management. A lease is negotiated annually for the use of the land
      for the vigil. Tents are set up to cover the altar and chairs. The hot
      desert sun and the evening wind and rain are always challenging.

      Following the July 15^th evening Eucharist, the Blessed Sacrament is
      exposed and the day-long vigil goes through the long night under the
      desert sky, usually filled with galaxies of stars. Rosaries slip through
      fingers; people wrap themselves in shawls and blankets as the cool
      breeze finds its way into the desert. A flashlight is tied to a pole,
      the light is directed to the center of the monstrance. Heart and eye are
      drawn to the consecrated host. At first the Host seems so insignificant
      and fragile in the face of the multi-trillion dollar weapon research
      facility at the Army base behind the altar. It may be the site of the
      first atomic explosion, but it is only the first of many. This place
      which spawned the nuclear age threatens us to this day in North Korea,
      Russia, India, Pakistan, the USA, France, the United Kingdom, China and
      most likely, Israel.

      What good is a handful of people praying through the night against such
      high-tech destructive capability? Or as many have asked me through the
      years, �What good does it do to keep going there year after year?� In
      the face of all this potential for death to humanity and earth itself,
      what can a handful of people praying in the desert do? What can God do?

      Questions come easier than answers, but as the night progresses, a
      flicker of a response sparks in the darkest night. Because we are there
      at the site of humanity�s unleashing of destruction beyond
      comprehension, Christ is there in us and in the Blessed Sacrament.
      Against every bomb built, used or tested, we kneel in adoration to our
      Creator as an act of defiance to destruction. We kneel to the God of
      love rather than the god of hate. We kneel in the presence of one
      another as brother and sister instead of enemy. Hour after hour under
      the �blue and the dim and the dark cloths of night�^1 , we gaze on the
      face of Christ and �all is changed, changed utterly.�

      --

      www.centerforchristiannonviolence.org
      <http://www.centerforchristiannonviolence.org> or

      If you prefer not to receive these periodic emails, that is okay. Just
      reply with 'please remove from list' in the subject box.