NYC Catholic Worker

  • Bob Waldrop
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2012
      Has anyone heard anything from the NE and NYC Catholic Workers post Sandy?

      Bob Waldrop, Romero House, OKC
    • Felton Davis
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2012
        It was a long week -- we were without electricity from Monday night just before 9 pm to Friday night just before 5 pm.  No flooding, and our gas-powered hot water heaters and stoves worked fine.  So our homeless friends could take a shower if they were willing to go into the shower room with a candle.  No outgoing regular phones or cell phone service, but people could call in to the pay phone, and check up on us.  The candle-light lunches were enjoyed by everyone who arrived on foot -- no subway service.  There's still people in the city without power, and Long Island and New Jersey sustained heavy damage.

        The stores are low on supplies, but people in the neighborhood are stopping by to see if there is anything they can bring us.  We're hoping to mail out the Oct-Nov issue of the Catholic Worker on Friday.

        Thanks for thinking of us during this difficult time.

        Felton Davis
        c/o Maryhouse
        (212) 777-9617