Fwd: "A milestone for the Dorothy Day Library on the Web" - a message from Jim Allaire & D Day Library Web

  • Bob Waldrop
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2012
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------

      From: James Allaire<james.allaire@...>
      Date: Tue, Jun 5, 2012

      Friends,

      I am happy to announce that the Dorothy Day Library on the Web --
      www.catholicworker.org/dorothyday/index.cfm -- has reached a
      milestone. As of today, all of Dorothy Day's signed articles (and a
      few others) from The Catholic Worker paper are now published online.
      That's over 700 documents that are fully searchable. (Also online are
      the complete texts of The Eleventh Virgin, House of Hospitality, From
      Union Square to Rome, and On Pilgrimage. There are also a dozen or so
      journal articles.)

      The Library was announced at the 1997 Centenary Conference and reached
      completion with the help of 80+ volunteers who faithfully digitized
      clippings and photocopies. The work would not have been possible
      without the help of one man in particular--I suspect you know of whom
      I'm speaking--Phil Runkel, at the CW Archives. He faithfully sent
      document requests and hunted down missing sentences all this time.
      Thank you Phil for your tireless help.

      What's next? Several projects to make all this material more
      accessible are under consideration. I will get back to you for your
      guidance soon and welcome any suggestions you might have.

      Blessings,

      Jim Allaire
      james.allaire@...
      catholicworker.org@...