On murdering the fruit trees at our house

  • Bob Waldrop
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2011
      Well at the demand of Oklahoma City we chopped down most of the fruit trees at our house -- 2 plum, 1 apple, 1 peach, 1 fig, 1 mulberry. That least us with 1 peach, 1 apple, and four or five mulberries. They constituted "view obstructions", and so they must go.

      See my essay at http://www.bobwaldrop.net/?p=737 for more details, pictures of the deed at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=285630&id=779963701&l=d24829f0fa .

      Bob Waldrop, Romero House, Oklahoma City

    • johannah.catpillar
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 26, 2011
        In all honesty, it's important not to have view obstructions on or near corners/intersections of vehicular traffic routes, and it appears yours is a corner property.

        But clearly, since the city singled you out for code enforcement and leaves all the other illegal obstructions in place around the neighborhood, they were doing it viciously in retaliation for political activity and opinions and maybe there was some "home cooking" involved, too (your neighbors making trouble for you through their civic and law enforcement connections). So sorry.

        It breaks my heart to see those beautiful trees destroyed. The mayor of my town murders trees on the slightest pretext. It's his answer to everything. While other major cities are busy planting trees by the hundreds and thousands, having finally realized the air and heat pollution control and psychogical benefits of trees in the urban environment, this backward city destroys trees and substitutes scrubby little bushes if anything at all.