Fw: Statement and CW Farm Website

  • Bob Waldrop
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2011
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Chris Montesano
      Hi all,
      Here is statement from Gathering and the address of the New Website for
      Farms and Urban Gardens: http://farm.catholicworker.biz/

      This website is great!

      NEWS RELEASE

      75th Anniversary of Catholic Worker Farms
      Sheep Ranch, CA

      Members of Catholic Worker farms and urban houses of hospitality
      gathered this past week for a celebration of Peter Maurin’s prophetic
      vision for a new society in the shell of the old. Peter Maurin
      co-founded the Catholic Worker in New York City in 1933 with Dorothy
      Day. Three years later the first Catholic Worker farming commune
      opened in New York. For the 75th Anniversary of the first Catholic
      Worker farming commune, 21 people gathered in the remote Sierra
      foothills of California for workshops and discussions.

      Today the Catholic Workers gathered in Sheep Ranch issued a statement
      reiterating and updating Peter Maurin’s vision in modern language,
      calling for more urban gardens and local organic farming communities.
      Urban gardeners and rural farmers came from Catholic Worker
      communities in California, Colorado, Montana, Wisconsin, Iowa and New
      Mexico. Richard Bishop of Bitterroot Catholic Worker Farm, MT said,
      “The beauty of Peter Maurin’s vision has not been realized. All of our
      discussions need to be illuminated by Peter’s prophetic teachings.”

      Contact:
      Chris Montesano
      chrismontesano@...
      Catholic Worker Farm
      16777 Armstrong RD,
      Sheep Ranch, CA, 209-728-2159.

      ###

      Statement By Catholic Worker Farmers & Gardeners

      On this, the 75th anniversary of Catholic Worker farms, we urban
      gardeners and rural farmers have gathered in Sheep Ranch, California
      to celebrate the spirit of Peter Maurin—co-founder of the Catholic
      Worker movement with Dorothy Day.

      All of God’s children deserve access to healthy food, yet hunger,
      malnutrition and starvation continue to harm people across the planet.
      Contemporary problems of hunger, mental illnesses, climate change,
      environmental degradation, industrial food production, and social
      alienation are interrelated. These challenges can be overwhelming, but
      our experiences have taught us that the vision of Peter Maurin is now
      more relevant than ever before.

      Peter Maurin put out the call for a Green Revolution consisting of
      round-table discussions, houses of hospitality, and farming communes.
      Although houses of hospitality have been the most notable aspect of
      the Catholic Worker movement, many of us have experienced the need for
      Catholic Worker farming communities and urban gardens to help us more
      fully realize Peter Maurin’s vision. Peter encouraged us to follow
      the way of Jesus Christ as servant rather than master, spending our
      energy in decentralized food production methods.

      To this end, we support the following sustainable practices across
      North America: utilization of heirloom seeds, conversion of abandoned
      places into community gardens, local production of organic food,
      creation of biointensive and permaculture farms and urban gardens. We
      support the resistance to industrial farming in a movement toward
      restoring localized production and distribution of healthy organic
      food.

      We acknowledge the momentum of movements calling for a restructuring
      of our agricultural system and we applaud these efforts. We challenge
      ourselves, the Catholic Worker movement, the Church, people of all
      faith traditions, and all people of goodwill to promote sustainable
      ways of living.