I hope the Catholic Bishops are satisfied.

  • Robert Waldrop
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2010
      I just finished reading the NY Times article with the first reports from
      the Wikileaks classified Afghan war documents.

      Then I went back and read the statement I wrote in December 2001 that
      was signed by 4 CWer houses and mailed to all the US bishops, none of
      whom replied.

      http://www.justpeace.org/holyinnocents2001.htm

      I really regret that things have turned out even worse than I described
      in this letter, but those are the facts on the ground.

      I wonder if the US Catholic Bishops are satisfied with the results of
      their vote to judge the war on the people of Afghanistan as just? I
      think it's interesting that they don't put that document on their
      website, nor do they post the text of Cardinal Law's infamous speech in
      Rome calling for "moral realism" regarding the war effort of the US
      government. In those days, Cardinal Law was un-tainted by the clergy
      sexual abuse issue, because the latest outbreak of news on that issue,
      which drove him from his office as Cardinal Archbishop of Boston, had
      yet to erupt.

      I will try to dig up the text of his speech and post it at Justpeace and
      also the full text of the Bishop's November 2001 statement on
      Afghanistan. Some things should not disappear down the memory hole.

      Bob Waldrop, Romero House, Oklahoma City