Five People Arrested on Naval Base Kitsap-Bangor - Disarm Now Plowshares

  • Felice & Jack Cohen-Joppa
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2009
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      November 2, 2009
      Contacts : Jackie Hudson- 360-286-9036 or jackiehudson123@...
      Sue Ablao - 360-286-9157 or sablao1@...

      Five People Arrested on Naval Base Kitsap- Bangor

      The "Disarm Now Trident Plowshares Action"

      Bill "Bix" Bischel, S.J., 81, of Tacoma,
      Washington; Susan Crane, 65, of Baltimore MD;
      Lynne Greenwald, 60, of Bremerton, Washington;
      Steve Kelly, S.J., 60, of Oakland, CA.; Anne
      Montgomery RSCJ, 83, of New York, New York, were
      arrested on Naval Base Kitsap- Bangor. They
      entered the Base in the early morning hours of
      November 2, 2009, All Souls Day, with the
      intention of calling attention to the illegality
      and immorality of the existence of the Trident
      weapons system. They entered thru the perimeter
      fence, made their way to the Strategic Weapons
      Facility - Pacific ( SWFPAC) where they were
      able to cut through the first chainlink fence
      surrounding SWFPAC, walked to and cut the next
      double layered fence, which was both chain link
      and barbed wire, onto the grounds of SWFPAC. As
      they walked onto the grounds, they held a banner
      sayingŠŠ "Disarm Now Plowshares : Trident:
      Illegal + Immoral", left a trail of blood and
      hammered on the roadway (Trigger Ave. and
      Sturgeon) that are essential to the working of
      the Trident weapons system, hammered on the
      fences around SWFPAC and scattered sunflower
      seeds throughout the base. They were then thrown
      to the ground face down, handcuffed and hooded
      and held there for 4 hours on the wet, cold
      ground. They were taken, hooded, and carried out
      through the very holes in the fence that they had
      made, for questioning by Base security, FBI and
      NCIS. They refused to give any information except
      their names, and were cited as of now, for
      trespass and destruction of government property,
      given a ban and bar letter and released.

      In a joint statement, the group stated that, "The
      manufacture and deployment of Trident II
      missiles, weapons of mass destruction, is immoral
      and criminal under International Law and,
      therefore, under United States law. As U.S.
      citizens we are responsible under the Nuremberg
      Principles for this threat of first-strike
      terrorism hanging over the community of nations,
      rich and poor. Moreover, such planning,
      preparation, and deployment is a blasphemy
      against the Creator of life, imaged in each human
      being. "

      There have been approximately 100 Plowshares
      Nuclear Resistance Actions worldwide since 1980.
      Plowshares actions are taken from Isaiah 2:4 in
      Old Testament (Hebrew) scripture of the Christian
      Bible, "God will judge between the nations and
      will settle disputes for many people. And they
      shall beat their swords into plowshares and their
      spears into pruning hooks. And nations will not
      take up swords against nations, nor will they
      train for war anymore."

      The Trident submarine base at Bangor, just 20
      miles from Seattle, is home to the largest single
      stockpile of nuclear warheads in the U.S.
      arsenal, housing more than 2000 nuclear
      warheads. In November 2006, the Natural
      Resources Defense Council declared that the 2,364
      nuclear warheads at Bangor are approximately 24
      percent of the entire U.S. arsenal. The Bangor
      base houses more nuclear warheads than China,
      France, Israel, India, North Korea and Pakistan
      combined.

      The base has been rebuilt for the deployment of
      the larger and more accurate Trident D-5 missile
      system. Each of the 24 D-5 missiles on a Trident
      submarine is capable of carrying eight of the
      larger 455 kiloton W-88 warheads (each warhead is
      about 30 times the explosive force as the
      Hiroshima bomb.) The D-5 missile can also be
      armed with the 100 kiloton W-76 warhead. The
      Trident fleet at Bangor deploys both the 455
      kiloton W-88 warhead and the 100 kiloton W-76
      warhead.

      xxx

      Statement of the DISARM NOW PLOWSHARES

      "I will purify you from the taint of all your
      idols. I will give you a new heart and put a new
      spirit within you. I will remove the heart of
      stone from your body and give you a heart of
      flesh. I will put my Spirit within you and make
      you conform to my statutes." Ez. 36:25-27

      We walk into the heart of darkness, the Naval
      Submarine Base Kitsap-Bangor, housing and
      deploying over 2,000 nuclear warheads for
      Trident submarines. By their very existence they
      are endangering the environment, threatening the
      indiscriminate destruction of life on earth, and
      depriving the hungry, homeless, and jobless of
      billions of dollars that could supply human needs
      throughout the world.

      The manufacture and deployment of Trident II
      missiles, weapons of mass destruction, is immoral
      and criminal under international law and,
      therefore, under United States law. As U.S.
      citizens we are responsible under the Nuremberg
      Principles for this threat of first-strike
      terrorism hanging over the community of nations,
      rich and poor. Moreover, such planning,
      preparation, and deployment is a blasphemy
      against the Creator of life, imaged in each human
      being.

      We are called by Isaiah to take seriously our own
      responsibility to act as citizens of the nation
      that subjected the civilians of Hiroshima and
      Nagasaki to the hell of nuclear bombing and its
      deadly consequences. The United States continues
      to research and develop even more inhumane
      weapons of mass destruction.

      We are called by Ezekiel to transform our own
      hearts and to invite all those whose hearts are
      hardened by blindness, fear, and mistrust of the
      "other" to allow theirs to be transformed into
      "hearts of flesh:" disarmed, compassionate, and
      generous.
      We bring carpenters' hammers to symbolically
      transform these weapons of death into material
      useful for homes and factories. On this day of
      remembrance, All Souls Day, we bring our own
      blood in solidarity with the victims of war, who
      are invisible to those who target them. We bring
      sunflower seeds to plant the hope of new life in
      this violated earth. We intend to beat swords
      into plowshares as one step up the holy mountain
      where all nations can unite in peace.

      At the beginning of the International Decade of
      Disarmament, we join with the survivors of
      Hiroshima and Nagasaki and the 2020 Vision
      Campaign to abolish all nuclear weapons by that
      year at the latest. Nuclear weapons can never be
      guardians, defenders, or upholders of peace.
      They are sheathed in stainless steel and metal
      coverings that conceal the evil incarnate lying
      within. They are filled with death-dealing
      agents that tear apart humans and leave survivors
      scarred for life. They leave no place for human
      care for the thousands who suffer and die in
      agony. Nuclear weapons are a lie. Their
      "protection" is an illusion. They must be
      abolished.

      "God will judge between the nations and will
      settle disputes for many peoples. They will beat
      their swords into plowshares and their spears
      into pruning hooks. Nation will not take up
      sword against nation, nor will they train for war
      anymore." Isaiah 2:4

      Washington State

      November 2, 2009

      Steve Kelly, S.J. Lynne
      Greenwald Anne Montgomery,
      RSCJ
      Susan Crane Bill Bichsel, S.J.

      xxx

      November 2, 2009

      Hand Delivery

      Captain Mark Olsen
      Commander US Naval Base Kitsap-Bangor
      120 South Dewey St
      Bremerton, WA 98314

      YOU have been involved in the housing, deployment
      and threatened use of immoral and illegal nuclear
      weapons on Naval Base Kitsap/Bangor. These
      weapons and their delivery systems include
      Trident submarines, Trident II D-5 missiles, and
      W-88 and W-76 nuclear warheads. These weapons,
      and their delivery systems, threaten the
      destruction of other nations and people and as
      such constitute violation of International Law
      and of Ruling of the International Tribunal of
      Justice of 1996.

      You are hereby notified that effective upon
      receipt of this letter that the disarmament of
      all nuclear weapons at Naval Base Kitsap/Bangor
      is to begin immediately and continue until all
      nuclear weapons are disarmed and removed.

      You are further informed that delay or failure to
      begin disarmament will lead to the prosecution
      before the International Tribunal of Justice of
      all naval and civilian personnel responsible for
      the delay.

      This barment letter is issued for the protection
      and security of people, animals, and all creation
      of our world.

      Any compelling reason for naval or civilian
      exemption from prosecution by the International
      Tribunal can be entered with the secretariat of
      the International Tribunal.
      (Address; International Tribunal, International
      Court of Justice, The Hague, Netherlands)

      Steve Kelly, S.J. Lynne Greenwald
      Anne Montgomery, RSCJ
      Susan Crane Bill Bichsel, S.J.

      xxx

      Disarm Now Plowshares Bios

      Steve Kelly, S.J. During his religious formation
      in our inner cities, in Sudan, Africa, as well as
      refugee work in Central America following
      ordination, he encountered the messiah, Jesus
      incarnate in the poor. At the same time, the
      relevance of Jesus as a real shepherd inserting
      himself between the danger of wolf or thief and
      the flock in his care inspired this Jesuit to try
      to imitate Jesus. His current collaboration with
      Catholic Workers and the Pacific Life Community
      confirms the analysis that the nukes represent,
      just in their making, a contemporary larceny from
      the poor, while the wolf, the imminent danger of
      their use, demands the embodiment of Isaiah 2:4.
      Will that hammering wake us, those professing
      faith in a loving God, from our idolatrous
      slumbers?

      Lynne Greenwald is the mother of three children
      and has worked professionally as a Registered
      Nurse, Family Therapist and Social Worker for
      nearly 40 years. She has also been actively
      involved in the Nonviolent Peace Movement since
      the mid-1970s. Lynne moved to Kitsap County in
      Washington State 26 years ago to join Ground Zero
      Center for Nonviolent Action and to become a
      neighbor to families involved with the Trident
      Base and other facilities in this predominately
      military community. "While the existence of
      Trident is obvious, the truth of Trident's
      nuclear threats and illegality remains hidden.
      My action of conversion today is one committed
      out of love for all life."

      Anne Montgomery is an eighty-three year old
      Religious of the Sacred Heart and former teacher
      in high schools and programs for dropouts and
      learning disabled children. As a member of the
      Gulf Peace Team in 1991 and of Christian
      Peacemaker Teams from 1995 to 2009 she served in
      Iraq and Palestine. Since 1980 she has been
      active in the Plowshares movement and other forms
      of civil resistance to U.S. militarism,
      especially nuclear weapons. Since 2005 she has
      also participated in Witness Against Torture and
      the Free Gaza boat trip to open the port of Gaza.
      She acts now to support all efforts to convert
      weapons of death into resources for human life,
      especially for the most neglected and oppressed
      of the threatened earth.

      Susan Crane is the mother of two sons, and has
      taught at a school for marginalized youth in
      California. More recently she has lived at Jonah
      House, a nonviolent community in Baltimore, which
      speaks out against all warmaking, and
      specifically nuclear weapons. Aware that we take
      better care of nuclear weapons than of our
      nation's children, and that we spend more than
      half of every federal tax dollar on warmaking
      rather than human needs, she acts to transform
      these weapons of mass destruction to life- giving
      materials.

      Bill Bichsel, a Tacoma native, entered the Jesuit
      Order in 1946 and after studies and teaching was
      ordained a Jesuit in 1959. He has served in
      parishes, taught in high schools, and was Dean of
      Students at Gonzaga from 1963-1966. In 1969 he
      returned to Tacoma where he served at St. Leo's
      Parish for over 7 years and then co-founded the
      Tacoma Catholic Worker (Guadalupe House) which
      offers hospitality and transitional housing to
      the homeless. The Guadalupe Community lives in
      the nonviolent tradition of Dorothy Day, the
      Catholic Worker foundress. Bichsel still resides
      and serves at the Tacoma Catholic Worker-one mile
      from where he was born and raised. He has served
      jail and prison terms many times for his
      resistance to the violence of the Trident nuclear
      weapon system and the violence of the S.O.A.
      training at Ft. Benning, GA. He believes that
      unless we, the American people, actively work to
      abolish nuclear weapons we as a people will
      continue to threaten destruction to the global
      community and continue to deprive the poor of the
      world of resources necessary for life.

      xxx

      Fact Sheet: Trident Submarine & Missile System

      Trident submarines serve as the sea based nuclear
      launch system of the Air, Land, and Sea Nuclear
      Triad supported by the US government. The U.S.
      currently has 14 nuclear-powered Trident
      ballistic-missile (SSBN) submarines. Trident
      submarines are 560 feet in length, or nearly two
      football fields. Each submarine can carry 24
      submarine-launched ballistic missiles (SLBMs)
      designated Trident D5 and each missile can carry
      up to eight 100 kiloton nuclear warheads (about
      30 times the explosive force as the Hiroshima
      bomb).

      The Trident D5 missile stands 44.6 feet high and
      originally had a range of 4,230 nautical miles
      with a full load of warheads, and up to 6000+
      nautical miles with a reduced load of warheads.
      Upgrades and Life Extension Programs may have
      changed some specifications. Warheads are either
      Mark-4/W76 or Mark-5/W88.

      100: Number of kilotons on ONE Trident W76 warhead
      455: Number of kilotons on ONE Trident W88 warhead
      345,600: Total number of kilotons deployed on Trident fleet
      14: Number of kilotons on atomic bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima
      150,000: Number of people killed by the atomic bombing of Hiroshima
      1,028 minimum; 4,885 maximum: Number of
      potential "Hiroshimas" each Trident is capable of
      destroying
      $66,000,000: Price of ONE Trident II D5 missile
      14: Number of nuclear- armed submarines
      the Navy wants to deploy through 2042
      $60,000,000: Cost of health insurance for 60,000 children
      $10,000,000,000: Annual cost of providing
      sanitary water to 2.4 billion people worldwide
      who now lack it
      $59,000,000,000: Cost of building housing for
      6000,000 homeless families in the US
      $170,200,000,000 (low estimate): Total cost of
      the ENTIRE Trident program through year 2042

      Naval Submarine Base Kitsap-Bangor is located 20
      miles west of Seattle on the deep waters of Hood
      Canal in Washington State. It is the home to the
      largest single stockpile of nuclear warheads in
      the U.S. arsenal, housing more than 2,000 nuclear
      warheads. This is approximately 24% of the entire
      U.S. arsenal. The Bangor Base presently houses
      more nuclear warheads than the countries of
      England, France, China, Israel, India, Pakistan
      and North Korea combined.

      There are eight Tridents based at the Bangor
      Base; six operate out of Kings Bay, GA. The
      Trident submarines at Bangor are likely to be
      used first in any nuclear attack, either as an
      isolated tactical assault on a specific site,
      bunker, or weapons location, or in a larger
      strategic nuclear attack. The D5 missile is
      capable of traveling over 1,370 miles in less
      than 13 minutes, allowing for a US nuclear strike
      anywhere on planet earth within 15 minutes.

      xxx

      LETHAL FORCE

      by William J. Bichsel, S.J.

      On November 2, 2009, All Souls Day, by the grace
      of God I choose to enter the Trident Submarine
      Base at Bangor Washington. I wish to walk to the
      idolatrous place of nuclear weapon bunkers where
      lethal force is authorized to guard the hiding
      places of the most lethal forces in the world. I
      wish to walk in solidarity with the poor of our
      world who live with lethal force constantly
      directed against them. My vulnerability to this
      lethal force is minimal compared to the lifetime
      vulnerability of the condemned of our world. My
      compelling reason for entering the Trident
      Submarine Base is to be present at this Auschwitz
      place in order to witness in faith to the
      transforming power of Jesus' non-violence and
      Resurrection which can turn hearts of stone into
      hearts of flesh and compassion. At this place of
      global death and hopelessness I wish to witness
      in faith to the life giving and transforming
      power of this presence which can expel the demon
      of violence from the hearts and minds of people
      possessed by the need for nuclear weapons. I
      believe the life giving power of the Resurrection
      can flow over the nuclear death machine and stop
      its destructive force. Compassion can then grow
      in hearts and minds of people who have been
      liberated from the prison of fear and violence.

      Millions upon millions of people throughout our
      world live with lethal force being directed
      against them. Our brothers and sisters and
      children live in war ravaged places where
      violence reigns and starvation, disease, absence
      of medical resources, absence of shelter
      eventually bring death. One hour from our shores
      in Haiti, where one in twelve children do not
      reach the age of five, parents give children mud
      cakes made of earth, oil, sugar and salt to
      diminish the effects of hunger pains. From the
      Sudan to Sub Saharan Africa, mothers watch as
      their infants and children become emaciated with
      swollen stomachs and lifeless eyes then die. All
      of these lethal forces are authorized.

      In the U.S., except for the poor, we have been
      protected and insulated from the death sentences
      under which half of the earth's population lives.
      The drive for security has numbed our citizens to
      accept nuclear weapons as the ultimate protector
      of the American way of life. In effect this
      choice means the acceptance of the use of nuclear
      weapons if the United States considers itself
      threatened. The people of the United States
      accept the deaths of millions of people if a
      preempted strike is ordered. Thus the use of
      lethal force is authorized.

      Across our nation there are vast numbers of U.S.
      citizens who face lethal forces directed against
      them which are not as immediate or
      instantaneously murderous as the lethal forces
      directed against the 3rd world poor. In our
      capitalistic system there are many who will not
      receive the health care, education, employment,
      appropriate housing and nutrition needed to live
      full human lives in this culture. These forces
      attack the body, soul and spirit of our citizens
      which eventually bring death of the spirit and
      then the body. This is especially true of one
      segment of our population - the mentally-ill, who
      live on the streets, under bridges, in door ways,
      jungle camps or in jails and prisons. They belong
      nowhere. They die. These lethal forces are also
      authorized.

      The continued possession of nuclear weapons by
      the United States means that resources that could
      be used to divert the lethal forces that are now
      killing the poor of our world will continue to be
      used to fuel the killing machine.

      Father Richard McSorley, S.J. has maintained that
      "the tap root of violence in our society is the
      acceptance of nuclear weapons." We must bend our
      efforts to make known the Non Proliferation
      Treaty Review which will take place on May 2,
      2010 at the United Nations. By our presence we
      must insist that the NPT Review Committee in the
      very near future organize a nuclear weapon global
      conference of these treaty nations which will set
      a firm date for nuclear weapon abolition.

      xxx

      Some thoughts about going onto Naval Base Kitsap/Bangor

      by Susan Crane

      All Soul's Day, Nov. 2, 2009

      Today in the US more and more people are coming
      to food pantries, needing food for their
      families. The numbers of home foreclosures
      increase, leaving families homeless; unemployment
      increases; and many, even those with health
      insurance, can't get their basic health needs
      met. Class size increases as teachers are laid
      off and dropout rates increase. Many returning
      vets must struggle for benefits. States are near
      bankruptcy, and our infrastructure is falling
      apart. And day by day climate change threatens us
      all.

      As a nation, we know all this. We experience it
      personally, and hear it on the nightly news. But
      what we don't hear is that there may be solutions
      to these problems. We need to look at where, as a
      nation, we are allocating our resources: where do
      our federal tax dollars go? Where do our
      brightest and best scientists find work? Where do
      our idealistic and dedicated youth end up? We
      know that over half of every federal tax dollar
      is used for warmaking. And we know that the
      American people never have a chance to vote on a
      bond issue for the next fighter plane or nuclear
      weapon. Every dollar that is used for warmaking,
      killing or planning to kill other people, is a
      dollar that is not used for human needs, or
      healing the earth.
      Here in Washington state, I was thinking about
      the Trident submarines which have nuclear
      warheads on them, and are constantly roaming the
      oceans. There are 8 subs homeported here at
      Naval Base Kitsap/Bangor. And each of these subs
      carries 24 Trident II D-5 missiles, and each of
      the missiles carries multiple nuclear warheads.
      Some of the warheads are 32 times the explosive
      heat and blast of the bomb the US dropped on
      Hiroshima in 1945.

      The Trident subs are stealthy, and at sea their
      location is secret. They can launch nuclear
      weapons to anywhere in the world in 15 minutes,
      which is a constant threat to people in other
      nations. Here in the US we don't live under a
      threat like that.
      My faith tradition teaches me that we are to love
      our enemies, to love one another. Planning to
      kill others is not an act of loveŠIndiscriminate
      killing of whole cites of people, animals and
      plants is not an act of love.

      Here in the northwest where the Trident subs are
      homeported, the land is beautiful; the trees are
      aromatic; the water is healing. And I hope that
      we come to our senses and experience this land we
      live in, and realize that we-and people all over
      the earth-are brothers and sisters. There is no
      "us" and "them". As individuals and as a nation;
      we all have good in us; we all have a shadow
      side. We can all work together if we choose to.

      With hope for peace and disarmament, the five us,
      Steve Kelly, S.J, Lynne Greenwald, Anne
      Montgomery, RSCJ, Bill Bichsel, S.J. and
      myself, go to Naval Base Kitsap/Bangor on All
      Soul's Day. We remember the 150 million people
      killed by warmaking and related consequences of
      war in the last 100 years. It is in solidarity
      with all who live in lethal force zones that we
      enter the lethal force zone on the naval base.

      We bring our own blood to pour on the missiles,
      nuclear weapons, trident subs, or perhaps on the
      railroad tracks that carry the weapons. We pour
      our blood to remind us all of the consequences of
      warmaking. We bring hammers to enflesh the words
      of Isaiah to hammer swords into plowshares. We
      bring sunflower seeds to sow to begin to convert
      the base, and we bring disarmed hearts in hope of
      a disarmed world. I go onto the base with the
      support of all at Jonah House, in Baltimore,
      carrying their prayers in my hip pocket.