I need French-English dictionaries

  • Robert Waldrop
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2008
      I have a friend who is a Peace Corps volunteer in a village in Benin. He teaches English. I asked him what needs he might have, and he replied "French-English dictionaries." Used, tattered, cheap, whatever we can find.

      SO, if you happen to have any French-English dictionaries laying around, or know of a source to get some cheaply, or see some at a used book store in the OKC area or a flea market/garage sale, please send them my way for trans-shipment to Benin. Mail to 1524 NW 21, OKC, OK 73106.

      Bob Waldrop, Romero House, OKC

    • Kathleen Murphy
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2008
        Hey, I'm in Ottawa. French-English dictionaries are thick on the ground
        'round these parts. How many would you like?

        KM

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2008
          About 20 would be great!

          RMW

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 4, 2008
            You got 'em!

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 4, 2008
              Many thanks! When the request came in, I thought, "Hmmm. . . where would I find French-English dictionaries", and in my typical American ethnocentrism, I forgot that I had friends in Canada. I would like to start a political movement to secede Oklahoma from the USA and annex ourselves to Canada, but (a) I'm not sure what the Canadians would think about that, and (b) while I have a reputation locally for weird politics, that would be sure to raise some eyebrows, eh!

              Robert Waldrop, Romero House, OKC

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 5, 2008
                Hehehe!

                Tomorrow's Saturday, and I'll get 'em shipped off.

                Cheers,

                KM

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 20, 2008
                  The dictionaries arrived. Many thanks! My friend in Benin is really happy. He says that one of the big issues in poor countries regarding education is simply access to books and the educational tools we take for granted.

                  Robert Waldrop, Romero House, OKC
                  O Key of David and sceptre of the House of Israel --

                  you open and no one can shut;
                  you shut and no one can open:
                  Come and lead the prisoners from the prison house,
                  those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death.
                  Vespers Antiphon for December 20, 2008