Casa Juan Diego in Houston

  • bwaldrop@cox.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 12, 2008
      I just got off the phone with Louise Zwick of the Casa Juan Diego Catholic Worker house in Houston. They are located close to I-45, which forecasters expect will be the main path of the storm. However, their building is fairly new, and is built of cinder block and steel. It went through hurricane Alicia previously without a problem. They expect a lot of people to shelter there, guys on the first floor, women and children on the second. They are well stocked with food and water, and just went out and bought a large generator so they can keep their lights on. She feels fairly confident that they will do well, but she also invited all of us to keep them in our prayers.

      A friend of mine from Houston is advocating prayers to St. Brendan the Navigator for protection during the hurricane. I don't know what the connection is (he may be the patron of those who are at risk of hurricanes), but it sounds good to me.

      Bob Waldrop, Romero House, OKC
    • emilie hamilton
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 12, 2008
        Thank you for letting us know. I will hold the Casa Juan Diego
        Catholic Worker house in prayer through the storm. Blessings,  Em

        Let everything you do be done in love.

        1 Corinthians 16:14

        __

      • John Médaille
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 12, 2008
          bwaldrop@... wrote:
          > I just got off the phone with Louise Zwick of the Casa Juan Diego Catholic Worker house in Houston. They are located close to I-45, which forecasters expect will be the main path of the storm. However, their building is fairly new, and is built of cinder block and steel. It went through hurricane Alicia previously without a problem. They expect a lot of people to shelter there, guys on the first floor, women and children on the second. They are well stocked with food and water, and just went out and bought a large generator so they can keep their lights on. She feels fairly confident that they will do well, but she also invited all of us to keep them in our prayers.
          >
          > A friend of mine from Houston is advocating prayers to St. Brendan the Navigator for protection during the hurricane. I don't know what the connection is (he may be the patron of those who are at risk of hurricanes), but it sounds good to me.

          that may refer to Brendan the Bold, who sailed the Atlantic as a penance
          for killing a man, and discovered America centuries before Columbus.

          --

          John C. Médaille

          /A dead thing can go with the stream...
          but only a living thing can go against it./
          -G. K. Chesterton
          The Vocation of Business: Social Justice in the Marketplace <http://tinyurl.com/2pxdug>
          /The Distributist Review/ <http://distributism.blogspot.com/>
        • emilie hamilton
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 15, 2008
            Could someone let us know how those living
            at Casa Juan Diego have weathered the storm?
            Thank you.  Blessings,  Em

            Let everything you do be done in love.

            1 Corinthians 16:14

            _,_._,___