Where you can get a free sour-dough starter

  • Robert Waldrop
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2008
      Here is a url where you can get a free sourdough starter:

      http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/

      The starter derives from one that Carl Griffiths received that was handed down from his great-grandmother who came to Oregon in 1847 as a cook on a wagon train, bringing the sour dough start with her.

      You send a self-addressed and stamped envelope to the address at the website, and 6 weeks or so later you will receive a small packet of dried sour dough starter. The website has instructions on how to revive it, and also instructions on how to dry it if you want to make some to give away. I received mine a couple of days ago and it has revived nicely in the half gallon mason jar which is its new home, bubbling away.

      This work is done by volunteers, and is free, even so, I stuck two dollar bills in the envelope that I sent my request in, just to pay this forward a bit.

      Consider this a note from the Peter Maurin Memorial Agronomic University Extension Department.

      Bob Waldrop, Romero House, OKC

    • Johnny Amos
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2008
        On Feb 2, 2008, at 12:44 AM, Robert Waldrop wrote:

        > Here is a url where you can get a free sourdough starter:
        >
        > http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/
        >
        > The starter derives from one that Carl Griffiths received that was
        > handed down from his great-grandmother who came to Oregon in 1847
        > as a cook on a wagon train, bringing the sour dough start with her.

        Thank you, Robert. Just a couple days ago I was thinking how nice it
        would be to have some homemade sourdough bread. I can smell it already.

        Johnny