Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Fwd: Army demands reimbursement from soldier wounded in battle

Expand Messages
  • Scott Mathern-Jacobson
    http://www.wvgazette.com/section/News/2006020623 The Charleston Gazette February 07, 2006 Soldier pays for armor: Army demanded $700 from city man who was
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2006

      The Charleston Gazette
      February 07, 2006

      Soldier pays for armor: Army demanded $700 from city man who was wounded
      By Eric Eyre, Staff writer

      The last time 1st Lt. William "Eddie" Rebrook IV saw his body armor, he
      was lying on a stretcher in Iraq, his arm shattered and covered in blood.

      A field medic tied a tourniquet around Rebrook's right arm to stanch the
      bleeding from shrapnel wounds. Soldiers yanked off his blood-soaked body
      armor. He never saw it again.

      But last week, Rebrook was forced to pay $700 for that body armor, blown
      up by a roadside bomb more than a year ago.

      He was leaving the Army for good because of his injuries. He turned in his
      gear at his base in Fort Hood, Texas. He was informed there was no record
      that the body armor had been stripped from him in battle.

      He was told to pay nearly $700 or face not being discharged for weeks,
      perhaps months.

      Rebrook, 25, scrounged up the cash from his Army buddies and returned home
      to Charleston last Friday.

      "I last saw the [body armor] when it was pulled off my bleeding body while
      I was being evacuated in a helicopter," Rebrook said. "They took it off me
      and burned it."

      But no one documented that he lost his Kevlar body armor during battle, he
      said. No one wrote down that armor had apparently been incinerated as a

      Rebrook's mother, Beckie Drumheler, said she was saddened � and angry �
      when she learned that the Army discharged her son with a $700 bill.
      Soldiers who serve their country, those who put their lives on the line,
      deserve better, she said.

      "It's outrageous, ridiculous and unconscionable," Drumheler said. "I
      wanted to stand on a street corner and yell through a megaphone about

      Rebrook was standing in the turret of a Bradley Fighting Vehicle when the
      roadside bomb exploded Jan. 11, 2005. The explosion fractured his arm and
      severed an artery. A Black Hawk helicopter airlifted him to a combat
      support hospital in Baghdad.

      He was later flown to a hospital in Germany for surgery, then on to Walter
      Reed Army Medical Hospital in Washington, D.C., for more surgeries.
      Doctors operated on his arm seven times in all.

      But Rebrook's right arm never recovered completely. He still has range of
      motion problems. He still has pain when he turns over to sleep at night.

      Even with the injury, Rebrook said he didn't want to leave the Army. He
      said the "medical separation" discharge was the Army's decision, not his.

      So after eight months at Fort Hood, he gathered up his gear and started
      the "long process" to leave the Army for good.

      Things went smoothly until officers asked him for his "OTV," his "outer
      tactical vest," or body armor, which was missing. A battalion supply
      officer had failed to document the loss of the vest in Iraq.

      "They said that I owed them $700," Rebrook said. "It was like 'thank you
      for your service, now here's the bill for $700.' I had to pay for it if I
      wanted to get on with my life."

      In the past, the Army allowed to soldiers to write memos, explaining the
      loss and destruction of gear, Rebrook said.

      But a new policy required a "report of survey" from the field that
      documented the loss.

      Rebrook said he knows other soldiers who also have been forced to pay for
      equipment destroyed in battle.

      "It's a combat loss," he said. "It shouldn't be a cost passed on to the
      soldier. If a soldier's stuff is hit by enemy fire, he shouldn't have to
      pay for it."

      Rebrook said he tried to get a battalion commander to sign a waiver on the
      battle armor, but the officer declined. Rebrook was told he'd have to
      supply statements from witnesses to verify the body armor was taken from
      him and burned.

      "There's a complete lack of empathy from senior officers who don't know
      what it's like to be a combat soldier on the ground," Rebrook said.
      "There's a whole lot of people who don't want to help you. They're more
      concerned with process than product."

      Rebrook, who graduated with honors from the U.S. Military Academy in West
      Point, N.Y., spent more than four years on active duty. He served six
      months in Iraq.

      Now, Rebrook is sending out r�sum�s, trying to find a job. He plans to
      return to college to take a couple of pre-med classes and apply to medical
      school. He wants to be a doctor someday.

      "From being an infantryman, I know what it's like to hurt people," Rebrook
      said. "But now I'd like to help people."


      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.