Re: Catholic Questions Questions

  • Robin
    Message 1 of 126 , Jul 25, 2013
      On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 5:31 PM, F Taylor <ftaylor1960@...> wrote:

      >>Have you ever asked anyone to pray for you? It's the same idea.
      Ummmm, not really.  That's kind of comparing apples and oranges.

      In every example given, the Bible is talking about living people talking to living people, and living people praying to God.

      Robin:
      Exactly!  Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are alive, even though they are physically dead since the God of Abraham is God of the LIVING.

      God Bless
      Robin

        The one exception is the revelations passage, and it could certainly be argued that Revelations is full of allegory, symbollism and the attempts of a person to describe the indescribable.  There is absolutely nothing to suggest that the "holy ones" were dead people praying in response to anything they heard from living people.  I don't doubt that saints who went to heaven are able to pray, but there's nothing I've ever seen in the Bible to suggest that God allows them to monitor what goes on in the land of the living or gives them the power to read our minds.

      >>The Bible states that saints may approach God with our prayers.
      If the request was made before the saint died, sure.  I'm sure that we don't stop praying just because we go to heaven.  But I'd be interested in hearing what passage suggests that God allows living people access to the dead.  There are examples of angels interacting with the living, and as I remember, Elijah appeared to Jesus.  Other than that, nothing that I can recall.  There is one example of the dead wanting to communicate with the living and God made it pretty clear that He wasn't going to allow it.  Once you're dead, your connections with the living are severed.

      What is the different between prayer and conversation?  If you're talking to me, it's conversation.  If you're talking to God, it's prayer.  Beyond that, things get a little less easy to define.  If you talk to a dead person, what is that?  Most people refer to it as channelling.  If you talk to a rock, is it conversation?  What if you expect that the rock can hear you, and understands?  Animists would say that was worship.  Christians would call it false worship.  Asking for intercession from anything other than God is, at best, false worship.  At worst...well...there are a lot less harmless things to ask for help from than a rock.

      People can't understand God.  He's just too incomprehensible.  It's only human that we would want to rely on something we understood better, these idealized Very Good People who will understand us back and who we want to believe have been given the power to hear us.  But from the moment the curtain ripped, the time of relying on sanctified people to give us access to God was over.  Still, people want to fall back on what is familiar, so they now have replaced High Priests with saints.  We can't be bothering God with our communication, after all.  He's much too busy.

      And yet, that's exactly what Christ told us to do.  He even told us how to pray.  To God.  Directly.  God loves us.  When you love someone you want to hear from them face to face, not second-hand through someone else.

      Francine Taylor

      Message 126 of 126 , Sep 12, 2013

        That Christ *could* relay messages if He chose, I have no doubt.  But that He chooses to do so...no.  I see no evidence in the Bible that Christ makes himself available to carry messages for people, living or dead.  He certainly conveys the messages of God the Father, but to assume that He relays prayer requests from one person to the other, just so that the second person can relay to Christ or God a prayer that He had to have already heard (having carried it himself)...what an awkward, bureaucratic system that sounds to be.  Not to mention a touch insulting...assuming that we can rely on our Savior to act as our messenger boy.

        >Robin:
        >That's not quite how I was picturing it either.  In any case though we know that the last will be first and
        >the lowest will be greatest (Luke 22:27).  Who is the lowest in your picture?

        I see what you are saying, Robin.  Carrying our messages would be serving us.  Still, that doesn't change the fact that just because He *could* do so doesn't prove that He does.  And what would be the point of Jesus listening to our prayers and then relaying them to saints so that they could give them back to Him?  If He hears them he's already heard them.  Is it your assertion that he is going to give these prayers more weight because they were directed to saints instead of directly to God?

        You can test the theory yourself.  Pray to a brother or sister in a far distant place, and then find out later if Christ conveyed the message.  Assuming that the message has not been conveyed (and that would be my assumption), to explain it by saying that the Lord only relays prayer requests from live people to dead ones...oh, and only ones who have been declared as Catholic Saints...that sounds as if you are making up rules in order to to prove something that we might wish were true but isn't necessarily.

        >Robin:
        >I will not put the Lord our God to the test (Mat 4:7).

        Good answer :)  And so true.  But then you are arguing against praying to the saints...it's the same thing.  You are asking someone who is not physically present to pray for you and expecting that Jesus will relay the message.  How can the one be putting the Lord to the test and the other not?

        >But can the 'dead' hear our prayers?  I would have to say yes.  Not only from the fact that God wants us
        >to help each other but to know when someone needs help we need to be aware of what is happening.
        >The members of the Body of Christ who are already in heaven either know of the happenings on earth
        > through simply witnessing it for themselves (Heb 11 along with Heb 12:1) or from receiving the
        >prayers of those on earth asking for intercession (Rev 5:8).

        I couldn't see anything in Hebrews 11 or 12 that suggests to me that members in heaven are aware of doings on earth.  Can you be more specific?  That would be an important passage to consider.

        >Robin:
        >These 'witnesses' are the OT saints (read chapter 11 to see).  The fact that they WITNESS things
        >happening on earth tells us that they are aware of what is happening on earth.

        I'm sorry, I've read Hebrews 11 through from start to finish three times and then in several translations including the one from the catholic version, but I still don't see any mention of saints who are hearing things happening on earth.  It talks about all the people in the OT who obeyed God by virtue of their faith, and what they suffered and accomplished, but no mention of anything that happened to them after they died, other than that God had prepared a city for them.

        >In Rev 5:8 we see 24 elders holding bowls of incense which are the prayers of the saints, ie the
        >members of the Body of Christ.  These elders know the prayers of those on earth and can therefore
        >offer there own prayers when they offer them up to God.

        This passage's details sounds symbolic, as is much of Revelations.  I'd be inclined to believe the elders represent 24 groups, and perhaps the creatures as well.

        >>Robin:
        >>The principal remains.  Elders handed over the prayers of those on earth to the Lord.  They interceded for
        >>them which is what we Catholics do when we 'pray' to saints.  We ask them to pray with us and for us.

        But even if they aren't symbolic groups and the writer of this passage was seeing a vision of actual people in the presence of God, the elders are merely holding bowls of Christian prayers, and are offering their praises to God.  There is nothing to suggest that their praises or prayers were being shaped by the content of the prayers in their bowls.

        >Robin:
        >Prayers are not something we can physically hold on to.  Therefore, for the elders in heaven to hand over
        > the prayers of those on earth to the Lord means that they would have to be AWARE of what those prayers
        >actually were and then hand those over to the Lord in the form of prayers from them to the Lord.  That's
        >basically what we do when I would ask you to pray for my well being during a difficult time.  You are
        >made aware of my predicament and then procede to pray for my well being.

        But they don't hand them over.  They just "hold" them.  In a bowl.  If prayers aren't something that can physically be held they certainly can't be held in a bowl.  It's symbolic.

        (And as an aside, even if they did hand them over that wouldn't guarantee that they knew anything about what they were "made" of.  I could hold a package, and hand it over to someone else without being aware of the contents or its composition.  Or adding to it.)

        The bowls are filled with incense which is peoples' prayers.  The vision seen by the writer was trying to convey that the prayers of God's people are pleasing to him (the "scent" of them being sweet to his senses).  It could be that the elders represent 24 specific groups of people, be they ethnic or locational or ideological groups, and the bowls represent all the prayers that these groups of people have prayed in their lifetimes.  If these elders had been meant to represent all the Saints they would have been described as hundreds, or a multitude, not just 24 "people".