Re: Catholic Questions Love/marriage

  • Robin
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2012
      Here's my take on 'same-sex marriage'.

      We find in Scripture that the Church can be seen as the Bride of Christ and Jesus is the bridegroom (see for example Rev 21:2).  The Church Jesus founded is to be as a bride preparing for the wedding day.  I’m mentioning all this so that you may see that a marriage includes one man and one woman, one husband and one wife.   Just as we see Jesus and His bride as a type of wedding, we can also see that God created man to be the bridegroom and the woman to be the bride.

       The responsibility of the bride is to “submit herself” to her husband because Eph 5:22-23 tells us that the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the Church (I recommend reading verse 25 for the husbands role, ie Jesus’ role, towards his bride).  The Church then, being the bride, is to submit to Christ.  And Christ speaks of marriage as being the “reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh” (Mat 19:5).

      Let’s think about this for a second.  How does the husband and wife become one flesh?  Physically speaking, the complimentarity between the man and woman seems pretty obvious.  The husband is made to be with his wife and the woman for the man as two puzzle pieces fitting perfectly together.  This coupling is the only way where two human beings can literally become one as in the form of their child.  They not only become one emotionally and personally but the expression of this oneness between them can be found in the fact that they can have children.  No other combination will produce this effect.

      In principal, the only way children can come into this world is through a man and a woman.  The physical union between two men or two woman cannot bring about new life.  And so, God defined marriage to be between one man and one woman because in making us in His image made the union between one man and one woman the only union to be in His likeness in such a way as to bring about life.  We are in effect cooperating with God in bringing new life in this world.

      If you want to talk about marriage being between one man and one woman without bringing God or Scripture into the argument all you need to mention is that we humans evolved in such a way as to bring about new life through the coupling of one male and one female.  We evolved this way because the law of the survival of the fittest proved that children will do better when protected and reared by one man and one woman.  This means that the government and society at large is duty-bound to protect this institution so as to protect the children that result from this union.

      God created man in His own image, male and female He created them (Gen 1:27).  Just as God is found in the Trinity where the person of the Father and the person of the Son have perfect love between them that this love is a person unto Himself and all three are one, so too is the love between one man and one woman  that this love can bring another person into this world.  This is the only union that can resemble the ‘likeness’ of God in the Trinity and therefore the only legitimate union to be defined as a marriage.  Any union other then between one man and one woman cannot be a marriage and therefore should not be treated as such.

      God Bless
      Robin