Re: Hi Every One...

  • covie1646
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 14, 2012
      As a Protestant, I will add to the excellent explanation by Jon. (Jon, a sincere thank you for representing us Protestants in a fair manner). There are a few other fundamental differences.

      SALVATION
      The Protestant churches believe that works, though pointing to salvation, cannot be sufficient alone or in part with faith to save us before God. Saving Faith Alone is what Protestants believe that saves us before God. Catholicism believes that a combination of faith and works saves us before God.

      BLESSED MARY
      Protestant churches believe that Mary is indeed blessed and favoured among women and that Mary is not sinless (we reject the Immaculate Conception) and is not to be revered more than any other human or angel. We also do not pray to her or sing hymns (e.g, the Lourdes Hymn) to her. We believe that one can approach the Father through Jesus (the Son) alone. Catholicism believes that Mary, in the Immaculate Conception, was conceived without sin and hence never sinned. Catholicism believes that we can pray to Mary, sings hymns to her, and render a reverence to her ("Hyperdulia") that is lower than reverence to God ("Latria") but higher than reverence to angels and saints ("Dulia"). Catholicism believes that we can also approach the Father through Jesus through Mary; some Catholics has "To Jesus through Mary" as their personal motto.

      SAINTS
      The Protestants believe that we should pray to God alone. We believe that noone in their lives can do more than what God has asked of us to do and can never gain extra merit (Superogative merit that Catholicism calls). Catholicism believes that we can pray to saints who can still hear our prayers in Heaven and that in turn, the saints can pray to God for us much like our family members on Earth praying to God for us. Catholicism that saints and Mary do good things beyond what God has asked of us to do and hence gain extra (Superogative) merit in Heaven where that merit is added to the "Treasury of Merit" that can help other people's souls.

      CLARIFICATION ON THE BIBLE
      Protestants put 100% authority in other things besides the Bible. However, the question is final, infallible, and inerrant authority and standard for our lives. Infallibility means that a person or a thing does not have the ability to err. Inerrancy believes that a person or a thing does not err. Infalliblity implies inerrancy; Inerrancy does NOT imply infallibility. We Protestants have the apostolic writings of the early Church Fathers, our ecclesiastical Assemblies (e.g, Councils and Synods), and our Confessional documents, which are authoritative Standards for the Church. Those confessions, assemblies, and writings are 100% authoritative in the Church. However, those Standards are not the final authority and are not infallible. The final and alone infallible authority is the Bible, which is the final standard by which we test the Confessional, Church assemblies, other Christian writings, and any other word or document by man. If a Council teaching or ruling does not agree with the Bible, then we reject the Council. We believe that the Bible is the Book and Word of God alone; we reject the idea that the Bible is only a Catholic Book. What Catholics believe about the Bible, Jon has explained well.

      Whit (Dutch Reformed Protestant)