The True Union of Science and Religion

  • Cody G. Carson
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 17, 2009

      The True Union of Science and Religion

      By Cody G. Carson

      It is impossible to separate science and religion because both are part of the same reality; the knowledge of each influences the understanding of the other. If a person believes in God, then science is the study of a created universe. A believer can better understand the nature of God by the scientific study of creation. And as a believer gets to know the character and intent of the living God through a personal relationship, a deeper understanding of creation is possible. For an unbiased truth seeker, the study of both fields is a compatible union that exposes errors in religious doctrine, limits self-deception, enhances the understanding of related systems in science causing new discoveries, and creates the fundamental philosophies of an enlightened worldview.

      The attempt to keep science separate from religion is an effort to live in a real world while thinking in an imaginary one.

      This does not always mean that scientific interpretation trumps religious belief; science is always changing with a growth of knowledge and new interpretations of it; a person's religious convictions also change with added theological knowledge and maturity. Apparent contradictions between science and religion may result from a lack of information needed in both areas to see the big picture.  It takes patience and careful discernment to decide if ones current religious convictions are in error when measured against science.  However, the truth of the creator will inevitably match to the actual history of creation and the physical laws that govern it since the design is not greater than the designer.

      The process of understanding science and religion, therefore, is a continuum of growth.

      .

      A spirit of cooperation can exist within a team of scientific minds that work together to find unbiased truth regardless of their individual faiths. This has been observed as Muslims, Jews and Christians conduct archeological digs in the Middle East finding artifacts that validate past events. If teams of unbiased research scientists remain together long enough in their truth quests, evidence should eventually bring them to the same conclusions about history. Those conclusions will inevitably result in some team members converting to the faith that truth supports. This is acceptable since a religion based in fact is obviously more valuable than one based in fiction.

      God is God, regardless of what has happened to us during our lifetime, and no matter how much hidden anger we carry. If a married person falls out of love, gets hurt or becomes angry, the resulting pain does not change the reality of the marriage or the existence of the spouse.

      The search for religious truth can be conducted like a crime scene investigation based on solid evidence. Just as the personal life of detectives should not interfere with the investigation of a crime, the personal life and experiences of the individual should not be allowed to tarnish the investigation for religious truth.  To ignore the evidence of God based on personal tragedy or emotional pain is the equivalent of trying to convict (or free) a suspect based on feelings rather than evidence. A mind that is closed because of pain, anger or rebellion, cannot see truth. It can only create a virtual reality within the framework of its pain. Therefore let evidence of creation (not personal trauma) determine religious conviction.

      Integrity, an open mind and a pure heart are the best tools for understanding the evidence of God and the history of creation. False and misleading evidence does exist, however, so the mind should be careful during the investigation to gather enough information to sustain and validate whatever belief comes from it.

      But can the mind truly be open? What if the evidence we look for is only to support the beliefs we already have? Fear can facilitate the selection of evidence to falsify our findings; this is so we can create a false sense of security for our individual faith. This is no more than self-brainwashing. We must be brave in the search realizing that believing only in selective evidence is the creation of our own personal mythology. There can be no bias in a truth search or it is not a truth search at all. It takes bravery to be objective in the search.

      Life should be a rewarding quest for knowledge and understanding; so much is missed by the closed minds of both the scientific and religious fields that persist in using only one area to form the basis of intellect. A clear understanding of reality requires an in-depth study of both fields, and the mature mind always leaves room for adjustment and growth.

      Sir Isaac Newton said, "God is known from his works."

      Albert Einstein said, "Science without Religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

      The Holy Bible says in Romans 1:20 "For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse."

      And in Psalm 19:1 "The heavens declare the glory of God. The expanse shows his handiwork."

      Part 2 The Conclusion

      There have been thousands of atheists who have looked into the various branches of science for the purpose of discrediting the Holy Bible. But after discovering the compelling evidence for creation, they have become Christians in the process. Other atheists have looked deep into science to further their own beliefs in evolution, but have also discovered the evidence of God; the ones that are unwilling to accept the God that evidence points to become agnostic because they are unable to return to an unbelieving state of mind due to their new knowledge. The evidence of God is such that it takes more faith to remain an unbeliever than it does to believe. Because of this, many consider true and informed atheism to be a religion of rebellion, while uninformed atheism is considered to be a belief derived from the shallow pseudo-science dogmas taught in public schools and in secular media.

      Some Evidence of God websites to make your search easier:

      http://www.godandscience.org

      http://www.evidence.info

      http://www.doesgodexist.org

      http://www.creationism.org/heinze/SciEvidGodLife.htm

      http://www.icr.org/God

      Types of Old Earth Creationism:

      http://www.nwcreation.net/ageold.html

      http://www.answersincreation.org

      Young Earth Creation website:

      http://www.answersingenesis.org

    • salsaman60
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 21, 2009

        Mr. Cody G. Carson. You write the following statements and my replies are as follows:

        For an unbiased truth seeker, the study of both fields is a compatible union that exposes errors in religious doctrine, limits self-deception, enhances the understanding of related systems in science causing new discoveries, and creates the fundamental philosophies of an enlightened worldview.

        Reply: Your statement attempts to support religious doctrine with science. Personally I find that in error. The Roman Catholic Religion doctrines are based on Faith, Hope and Trust. They are a Spiritual Gift to mankind, by God. It is a way of life. Not a scientific formation. Science is a man-made physical development.

        The attempt to keep science separate from religion is an effort to live in a real world while thinking in an imaginary one.

        Reply:  Our Faith is not an imaginary life, but a true existence embodied in the realm of God's creation. Faith is what gives us health, wealth and perseverance to live a life of happiness.  Science only complements; assist and promotes our comforts – not our lives.

        Apparent contradictions between science and religion may result from a lack of information needed in both areas to see the big picture. It takes patience and careful discernment to decide if ones current religious convictions are in error when measured against science.

        Reply:  The big picture is our existence to live in the Faith in God, Hope for our eternal salvation after death and Charity for our fellow man. These are only true  convictions, for our livelihood.

        The search for religious truth can be conducted like a crime scene investigation based on solid evidence.

        Reply: The search for religious truths, are found in the Holy Scriptures. Mankind has the responsibility to search; read and to live accordantly to the rules; laws and precepts of the Church of Jesus Christ.

        Therefore let evidence of creation (not personal trauma) determine religious conviction.

        Reply: Religious convictions support the evidence of creation by the facts, that all matter is created by God; for the good of mankind and His Glory. Science only complements that fact. Without science, mankind would still exist as it has in the pass millenniums.