Re: Catholic Questions yes, eastern rite

  • Gordon Hudson
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 28, 2007
      In my country it is standard for Catholic children to take first communion at 7 years old.
      This is organised by the parish priest through the local schools (as we have seperate education for catholics).

      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 1, 2007
        --- In catholicquestions@yahoogroups.com, "Karon Adams" <karon@...> wrote:

        > I would like to make a comment here. You guys don't know me, so I understand
        > how my comments may have been easily misconstrued. Am a serious devotee of
        > the Eucharist and of Marian Devotion through the Rosary. Even with the
        > relative Laxity of he rules these days, there are some I simply cannot
        > resist. No matter what I think, intellectually, I know in my heart what is
        > awaiting me on that plate. I have never been able to bring myself to accept
        > Eucharist in the hand. I simply have never felt myself worthy to hold His
        > Precious Body. I always take communion on the tongue.

        Dear Karon. We can truly understand your Physical Reverence to the Holy Eucharist.

        The physical handling of the Eucharist was allowed after the Vatican Council of 1962

        Our discussion is not a matter of an intellectual discourse, but rather a discussion on the Spiritual Ill-Reverence of the Holy Eucharist.. The ill-reverence of the Holy Eucharist is cause by our Laxity in the teaching and understanding of the Body of Christ. I would like to literate, that today many people are consuming the Eucharist as part of the Mass Ritual, without concern of their status in grace. That is Sacrilegious!

        > Because I very much enjoy religious discussions and comparative Religion,
        > many people make the assumption that I am at best agnostic or, more
        > probably, an atheist. Truth is, there are many tenets of the fait that,
        > while I may discuss them in an adversarial manner and it may seem I am
        > trying to dissuade people from their faith. In actuality, making these
        > arguments and participating in these discussions helps me and I hope,
        > others, to deepen their understanding of their own Faith and personal
        > relationship with Christ.

        Dear Karon. We, as Christian cannot pass judgment on anyone. We appreciate and welcome your points of view. As Roman Catholics on this forum, we are obligated to inform and instruct the secular populace the teachings of Jesus Christ, as it was given to the Vicar of Christ and Bishops, by the Holy Spirit.

        > If I seemed cavalier I assure you, it was not intended as such. It has been,
        > in my mind, an exchange of ideas, beliefs and traditions as seen from
        > several Religious denominations.

        Dear Karon. The exchange of ideals, beliefs and traditions are as old as the beginning of time. The important thing to understand is: this is Satan's World. As a result, we have many religious denominations and Cults. But, only one true Faith in Christ. Satan himself tempted Jesus Christ.

        You seem to have a good understanding of the Roman Catholic Faith. The Rosary is a powerful prayer. I suggest you continue to pray, for your own enlightenment. It did great wonders for me.

        Fidel

        > Blessings+
        >

        > Karon
        >

        > Karon Adams
        >
        > Yellow Ribbon Rosaries
        >
        > Your New Family Heirloom
        >
        > They stand on a wall and say, 'Nothins gonna hurt you tonight' ~~ Lt Cdr
        > Galloway; A Few Good Men
        >
        > 510 Notre Dame Ave
        >
        > Chattanooga TN 37412
        >
        > 423-622-0350
        >

        > Providing Battlefield Rosaries to the Military
        >
        > HomeFront Rosaries to Their Families
        >
        > and Heirloom Wire Wrapped Semi Precious Rosaries
        >

        > <http://www.yellowribbonrosaries.com/> www.YellowRibbonRosaries.com
        >

        > _____

      • John Lee
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 6, 2007
              With this article; you have presented me another real good reason not to favor any form of reunion with Rome.  I think the issue goes to the very heart of the questions.  I do believe in feeding our Children and teaching the child every time he receives Communion that it is the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ.  We feed our children weekly and I know of none of them who believe that the Eucharist is candy.  To say this is to make light of Communion and of my faith.  We give the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ and trust that the child will grow up knowing that he is Orthodox and that he needs to receive Christ weekly and to go to Confession.

          John Lee

          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 7, 2007
            John,

            As mentioned in an earlier post, those are Fidel's and Brian's
            personal opinions, not the position of the Roman Catholic Church. The
            RCC allows infant communion in the eastern rites; at the Council of
            Trent it stated that those who did it were not to be condemned; it was
            practiced in the West until the Middle Ages; and I have even heard
            that if an eastern rite Catholic priest is not available, and eastern
            rite Catholic parents request the eucharist for their baptized infants
            from a western rite Catholic priest, the priest is obligated to
            provide it (this last one is only hearsay so far- I haven't yet found
            an official document stating it)

            The western rite (the vast majority of the Catholic Church) does not
            practice infant communion - and from this outside observer's view is
            very unlikely to change that- but from all the evidence the Catholic
            Church would have no problems over this particular issue in any
            discussion with the Orthodox so long as the Orthodox did not seek to
            require that western Catholics adopt the practice.

            ehlsmith

            --- In catholicquestions@yahoogroups.com, John Lee <JArthurLee@...> wrote:

            > ??? With this article; you have presented me another real good
            reason not to favor any form of reunion with Rome.? I think the issue
            goes to the very heart of the questions.? I do believe in feeding our
            Children and teaching the child every time he receives Communion that
            it is the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ.? We feed our children weekly
            and I know of none of them who believe that the Eucharist is candy.?
            To say this is to make light of Communion and of my faith.? We give
            the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ and trust that the child will grow
            up knowing that he is Orthodox and that he needs to receive Christ
            weekly and to go to Confession.?

            > John Lee

          • Brian Atwood
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 10, 2007
              Thank you, ehlsmith. I never want anyone to misconstrue my opinions as the opinions of the Catholic Church.