Re: Catholic Questions New Testmaent Anti-Judaism

  • covie1646
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 3, 2007
      In my reading of history and Scripture, I have not seen anything yet
      to show or explain inspiration as it relates to the Apocrypha.

      Whit

      --- In catholicquestions@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Atwood"
      <specimenb@...> wrote:

      > Just out of curiosity, why do you not consider them to be canonical?
      >
      > On 7/28/07, covie1646 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In catholicquestions@yahoogroups.com<catholicquestions%
      40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > Virgie Nunnally
      > > <vlnunn74@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Where can I find one of these Bibles? If Ican't find one in your
      > > everyday Christian bookstore, couldn't I find one at the Library?
      > > This is interesting stuff!
      > > >

      > > I have 3 sets of the Apocrypha: the RSV version of the Apocrypha,
      > > the New American Bible (NAB), and the Douay-Rheims (D-R). I
      > > purchased them at the following locations:
      > >
      > > RSV version - Family Christian Bookstore (an "everyday Christian
      > > bookstore")
      > > NAB - the Catholic store at the National Shrine in DC (Basilica of
      > > the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception)
      > > D-R - TAN publishers (www.tanbooks.com)
      > >
      > > Now with the NAB and D-R, you have the entire Apocrypha (the extra
      > > chapters of certain books of the Bible). Although I don't believe
      > > them to be Spirit-inspired (i.e, canonical), there is certainly
      > > useful historical and moral teaching in the Apocrypha, and I would
      > > encourage every Christian to purchase and read the Apocrypha.
      > >
      > > Whit

    • Brian Atwood
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 6, 2007
        Nothing? It's nothing that the books were part of Jewish canon beginning three hundred years before Christ only to be removed 60 years after His death by the same order of Jews that crucified Him? It's nothing that the Apostle's quote from the Septuagint and even from the Duetero books? It's nothing that these books were canonized by the Christian Church when our bible was formed? What history and scripture did you read that did not include these facts?

        <specimenb@...> wrote:

        > Just out of curiosity, why do you not consider them to be canonical?
        >
        > On 7/28/07, covie1646 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In catholicquestions@yahoogroups.com<catholicquestions%
        40yahoogroups.com>,
        > > Virgie Nunnally
        > > <vlnunn74@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Where can I find one of these Bibles? If Ican't find one in your
        > > everyday Christian bookstore, couldn't I find one at the Library?
        > > This is interesting stuff!
        > > >

        > > I have 3 sets of the Apocrypha: the RSV version of the Apocrypha,
        > > the New American Bible (NAB), and the Douay-Rheims (D-R). I
        > > purchased them at the following locations:
        > >
        > > RSV version - Family Christian Bookstore (an "everyday Christian
        > > bookstore")
        > > NAB - the Catholic store at the National Shrine in DC (Basilica of
        > > the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception)
        > > D-R - TAN publishers (www.tanbooks.com)
        > >
        > > Now with the NAB and D-R, you have the entire Apocrypha (the extra
        > > chapters of certain books of the Bible). Although I don't believe
        > > them to be Spirit-inspired (i.e, canonical), there is certainly
        > > useful historical and moral teaching in the Apocrypha, and I would
        > > encourage every Christian to purchase and read the Apocrypha.
        > >
        > > Whit

      • covie1646
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 8, 2007
          Yes, nothing so far. What passages in the NT were quoted from the
          Apocrypha (and what are the quoted passages in the Apocrypha)?

          <specimenb@...> wrote:

          > Nothing? It's nothing that the books were part of Jewish canon
          beginning
          > three hundred years before Christ only to be removed 60 years after
          His
          > death by the same order of Jews that crucified Him? It's nothing
          that the
          > Apostle's quote from the Septuagint and even from the Duetero
          books? It's
          > nothing that these books were canonized by the Christian Church
          when our
          > bible was formed? What history and scripture did you read that did
          not
          > include these facts?
          >
          > On 8/3/07, covie1646 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          > >
          > > In my reading of history and Scripture, I have not seen
          anything yet
          > > to show or explain inspiration as it relates to the Apocrypha.
          > >
          > > Whit
          > >
          > > --- In catholicquestions@yahoogroups.com<catholicquestions%
          40yahoogroups.com>,
          > > "Brian Atwood"
          > > <specimenb@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Just out of curiosity, why do you not consider them to be
          canonical?

          > > > On 7/28/07, covie1646 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com<no_reply%
          40yahoogroups.com>>

          > > <catholicquestions%
          > > 40yahoogroups.com>,

          Library?

          Apocrypha,

          Christian

        • Brian Atwood
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 9, 2007
            I have several actually. I'll post a few and if you want more, feel free to ask.

            Rom. 9:21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to
            make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

            Refers to:

            Wisdom 15:7 For truly the potter, laboriously working the soft earth,
            molds for our service each several article: Both the vessels that
            serve for clean purposes and their opposites, all alike; As to what
            shall be the use of each vessel of either class the worker in clay is
            the judge.

            Luke 1:52 He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted
            them of low degree.

            Comes from:

            Sirach 10:14 The Lord hath cast down the thrones of proud princes, and
            set up the meek in their stead.

            Luke 11:41 But rather give alms of such things as ye have; and,
            behold, all things are clean unto you.

            Comes from:

            Tobit 12:9 For alms doth deliver from death, and shall purge away all
            sin. Those that exercise alms and righteousness shall be filled with
            life.

            Those are a few. I've got a list of them I could email anyone who'd like them.