Religious Persecution in the US

  • lincolnproducts
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2006
      Watching last night Fox News coverage of the capture of Mormon elder
      Warren Jeffs, the media rats have already duly tired, convicted and
      sentenced this 'criminal' to the supermax bastille. However,
      Jeffs' 'crimes' are no more than being a religious dissident.
      The US was colonized by religious dissenters: Puritans, Catholics,
      Quakers, and Hugenots; and we have had a long history of tolerating
      religions that we don't agree with. However, this trend has shifted
      strongly during the last couple of decades. Religious leaders who are
      guilty of nothing more than coming into conflict with America's new
      god, the law, are subject to being hunted down like wild animals (i.e.
      Warren Jeffs); murdered in cold blood (i.e., David Koresh); or held up
      to merciless media lampooning and smear attacks (i.e., Catholics and
      Jews).
      This is a problem that we are going to have to face sooner or later
      as a republic; is the law the highest power, or is God? The direction
      our nation seems to have chosen is highly disturbing.
    • t_x_christian
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2006
        I won't elaborate too much on this, as I myself am not educated on
        why he was wanted by the FBI. The main thing I heard was that
        children were involved, and that hits home for me. Children do not
        have a voice in this.

        Karen

        --- In catholicquestions@yahoogroups.com, "lincolnproducts"
        <lincolnproducts@...> wrote:

        > Watching last night Fox News coverage of the capture of Mormon
        elder
        > Warren Jeffs, the media rats have already duly tired, convicted and
        > sentenced this 'criminal' to the supermax bastille. However,
        > Jeffs' 'crimes' are no more than being a religious dissident.
        > The US was colonized by religious dissenters: Puritans, Catholics,
        > Quakers, and Hugenots; and we have had a long history of tolerating
        > religions that we don't agree with. However, this trend has shifted
        > strongly during the last couple of decades. Religious leaders who
        are
        > guilty of nothing more than coming into conflict with America's new
        > god, the law, are subject to being hunted down like wild animals
        (i.e.
        > Warren Jeffs); murdered in cold blood (i.e., David Koresh); or held
        up
        > to merciless media lampooning and smear attacks (i.e., Catholics
        and
        > Jews).
        > This is a problem that we are going to have to face sooner or
        later
        > as a republic; is the law the highest power, or is God? The
        direction
        > our nation seems to have chosen is highly disturbing.

      • salsaman60
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2006
          To the person, who wrote this post. I totally disagree with you. You
          equate civil law with God's laws. It was Jesus Christ who said "Repay
          to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God" Mat.
          22, 21. However, since our forefathers instituted a country with
          Religious Christian values and with all it's faults; it is still
          better than living under an Atheistic country. Moreover, Catholicism
          was long established in this part of the world, by the Spaniards;
          long before the Reformation.

          Apparently, you fail to understand the charges against Warren Jeffs.
          Polygamy is a serious Sin against God's Law as well as civil law.
          Polygamy is practiced in non-Christian faiths. Therefore, Warren
          Jeff's charges are justified. His molestations and scandalous use of
          young children are clearly abdominal in the heart of Jesus Christ,
          when he said " Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in
          me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great milestone hung
          around his neck and drowned in the depths of the sea." Mat.18; 6.
          These charges apply also to all the Catholic Priest and pedophiles
          accused of child molestations.

          God's laws take precedence over civil laws. For at the final judgment
          we all stand, alone. And for those who have repented and amend their
          lives, there is forgiveness, for their sins.

          Fidel

          <lincolnproducts@...> wrote:

          > Watching last night Fox News coverage of the capture of Mormon
          elder
          > Warren Jeffs, the media rats have already duly tired, convicted and
          > sentenced this 'criminal' to the supermax bastille. However,
          > Jeffs' 'crimes' are no more than being a religious dissident.
          > The US was colonized by religious dissenters: Puritans, Catholics,
          > Quakers, and Hugenots; and we have had a long history of tolerating
          > religions that we don't agree with. However, this trend has shifted
          > strongly during the last couple of decades. Religious leaders who
          are
          > guilty of nothing more than coming into conflict with America's new
          > god, the law, are subject to being hunted down like wild animals
          (i.e.
          > Warren Jeffs); murdered in cold blood (i.e., David Koresh); or held
          up
          > to merciless media lampooning and smear attacks (i.e., Catholics
          and
          > Jews).
          > This is a problem that we are going to have to face sooner or
          later
          > as a republic; is the law the highest power, or is God? The
          direction
          > our nation seems to have chosen is highly disturbing.

        • Carla
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 2, 2006
            I totally disagree with any analysis saying Jeff's is being
            persecuted in any way. He is a bad, misguided man. I just moved
            from SW Colorado in which we are well aware of Mr. Jeffs.
            Apparently under his authority families have kicked out their young
            Pre-teen, teenage sons as to not compete with much older men. These
            boys are usually dropped off on a street corner, and after being
            raised in a family environment not up to date with modern times it
            has proved quite troublesome. A good deal of the time boys will
            gather in some location together in which some of these groups turn
            to drugs or prostitute themselves to earn money. Others simply live
            on the streets. There is actually a Mormon from Salt Lake who has
            started a mission for these 'Lost Boys' to pick them up and try to
            help get them started on the right foot. If anyone dares to say Mr.
            Jeff's is being railroaded in any way, that would be a clear
            misguided assumption.

            Peace, Carla

            --- In catholicquestions@yahoogroups.com, salsaman60 <no_reply@...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            > > strongly during the last couple of decades. Religious leaders
            who
            > are
            > > guilty of nothing more than coming into conflict with America's
            new
            > > god, the law, are subject to being hunted down like wild animals
            > (i.e.
            > > Warren Jeffs); murdered in cold blood (i.e., David Koresh); or
            held
            > up
            > > to merciless media lampooning and smear attacks (i.e., Catholics
            > and
            > > Jews).
            > > This is a problem that we are going to have to face sooner or
            > later
            > > as a republic; is the law the highest power, or is God? The
            > direction
            > > our nation seems to have chosen is highly disturbing.

          • Eric Morrison
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 2, 2006
                 I am in no way equating God's law with civil law. Civil law that is not based on God's law is no law at all.
                 As to polygamy or the Jeffs cult, I am not in sympathy with their beliefs; but our constitution grants religious liberty to all citizens regardless of how distasteful we might find some of their practices. To persecute a religious group because their values go against 'the law' is wrong from both a moral and legal standpoint. It is for God to judge these people, not man. To elevate government in the place of God is to put the two on an equal footing, and is as bad as idolatry.

              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 2, 2006
                I think that if people choose to join religious cults, they have to suffer the consequences. This is an individual's choice to make for himself, and not society's role to dictate it to him.

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 2, 2006
                  Not necessarily. What about the children that are brought up into the
                  faith and are brainwashed. They don't know any better. Some of these
                  religions don't even leave their "compound", or allow tv or
                  newspapers. A lot of these people have no clue who the President of
                  the US is. They are kept there out of control. I don't feel these
                  people should suffer.

                  karen

                  --- In catholicquestions@yahoogroups.com, Eric Morrison
                  <lincolnproducts@...> wrote:

                  > I think that if people choose to join religious cults, they have to
                  suffer the consequences. This is an individual's choice to make for
                  himself, and not society's role to dictate it to him.

                • SACRED HEART PUBLICATIONS UK
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 2, 2006
                    Agreed, but is it not right to warn people who join religious cults that are potencially harmful, given the many whose leaders have murdered/ and/or/ convinced the whole sext to commit suicide. What about teenagers being lured away from homes and families?

                    Sue
                    The Diary of St Faustina on line
                    http://our.homewithgod.com/divinemercy/

                    Fatima in Lucia's own words and "Calls"
                    http://our.homewithgod.com/immaculateheart/

                    Revelations from Jesus to St Gertrude
                    http://my.homewithgod.com/gertrude/

                    Sacred Heart Organizations Israel
                    http://my.homewithgod.com/israel/

                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 2, 2006
                      Not sure if I am still under moderation or not, but I posted a reply
                      to this earlier. I replied that children should not be held
                      accountable. These poor children are being brainwashed into a
                      community telling lies. Then these children grow up and are
                      under "control" not to leave the compound. Then the, now grown,
                      children have their children and the whole process starts over. I
                      don't think these people should have to suffer. They never knew the
                      true God.

                      Think about this (totally different from the above situation), if you
                      were raised Muslim, Jewish or any other religion, what is the chance
                      that you would continue to be the same religion today? I'm not sure
                      of the percentage but I'm assuming it would be pretty high.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 2, 2006
                          I think it's certainly right to warn people of the dangers of religious cults. The primary duty of any government is the safety of citiizenry; if a cult practices murders, thefts &c, the government certainly has a right, and an obligation to suppress such an institution. As for teenagers being lured away from their parents, &c.; that's a more difficult question.
                          However, in the case of this Warren Jeffs, there has been no allegations of thefts, murders, kidnappings &c. only some vague allegations of 'child abuse' (some of these 'children' being in their late teens), and as we've seen that's sort of a blanket way of condemning anything. It's really amusing to see the Attorney General of the State of Nevada---a state that gives licenses to houses of prostitution and runs a business of quickie marriages and divorces---throwing up his hands in pious horror that someone would dare condone polygamy in HIS state and that some these communicants had wives much younger than themselves!
                          In a way Jeffs is getting off easy, the last high-profile heretic (David Koresh) was burned alive (only with incendiary weapons instead of the old-fashioned stake). But the way things are going over here, the stake might make a comeback.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 2, 2006
                          Reply to Eric
                          Eric wrote: I am in no way equating God's law with civil law. Civil
                          law that is not based on God's law is no law at all.

                          Reply; Well said.

                          Eric wrote: As to polygamy or the Jeffs cult, I am not in sympathy
                          with their beliefs; but our constitution grants religious liberty to
                          all citizens regardless of how distasteful we might find some of
                          their practices.

                          Reply: The charges against Warren Jeffs are not about his Polygamy
                          practices (his Religious Freedom), but of his practice in child
                          molestations. These are serious charges, which Civil law is in
                          accordance to God's law.

                          Eric wrote: To persecute a religious group because their values go
                          against 'the law' is wrong from both a moral and legal standpoint.

                          Reply: The persecute of a Religious Cult Group shall be conducted, if
                          their practices are against Humanity and the laws of God. The
                          abdominal acts of young innocent children shall be address and stop
                          with force, if necessary. The barbaric and immoral actions of Warren
                          Jeff are similar to the Roman Circus, 35 BC, where slaved children
                          were used to appease the crowds.

                          Eric wrote: It is for God to judge these people, not man. To elevate
                          government in the place of God is to put the two on an equal footing,
                          and is as bad as idolatry.

                          Reply: Yes, in the end of time (which no one knows the day or hour),
                          God will judge us. But, since we live in a society, with Christian
                          morals and values, we are to love one another as Christ loved us and
                          directed us to do the same. I thank God I was born and raised a
                          Christian and not a Muslim.

                          Fidel

                          <lincolnproducts@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          shifted
                          > > strongly during the last couple of decades. Religious leaders who
                          > are
                          > > guilty of nothing more than coming into conflict with America's
                          new
                          > > god, the law, are subject to being hunted down like wild animals
                          > (i.e.
                          > > Warren Jeffs); murdered in cold blood (i.e., David Koresh); or
                          held
                          > up
                          > > to merciless media lampooning and smear attacks (i.e., Catholics
                          > and
                          > > Jews).
                          > > This is a problem that we are going to have to face sooner or
                          > later
                          > > as a republic; is the law the highest power, or is God? The
                          > direction
                          > > our nation seems to have chosen is highly disturbing.

                          30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

                        • Carla
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 4, 2006
                            Hi Karen, I know you weren't responding to me but Mr. Jeff's charges
                            are legitimate and not even close to David Koresh... not even the
                            same thing. Mr. Jeff's needs to go to trial, where I'm sure he will
                            be found guilty. Probably because of the Waco experience they have
                            been really slow in responding to Mr. Jeff's charges. So slow that
                            he had time to disappear. My Lord, he has been missing for well
                            over a year.

                            Peace, Carla

                            --- In catholicquestions@yahoogroups.com, t_x_christian

                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 4, 2006
                                  Maybe they shouldn't suffer---but who is to make that judgement? I certainly don't trust the government or 'society' to do it. They could just as easily say that being brought up in a catholic household is equivalent to brainwashing---and use that as a justification for removing children.
                                  The best we can hope for is that such children will grow up, see the light of reson and leave these cults. I know many cases where that has happened--without state interference. The best thing the government can do is uphold religious freedom so that they hve an opportunity to lave oppressive religious groups. Unfortuneately, we're moving the other way where the 'Cult of the State' is replacing rligion.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 4, 2006
                                Carla:
                                   Can you explain to us why the Jeffs case is different than the Koresh case?

                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 4, 2006
                                  Hi Eric, well mostly in the way it was carried out. Koresh only had
                                  a warrant for 'supposed' illegal weapons, which by the time they
                                  held congressional meetings there was absolutely no proof of illegal
                                  weapons. They were simply taking up a business adventure of
                                  buying/selling weapons at gun shows. There was no child abuse in
                                  the warrant whatsoever. Mr. Jeff's however was breaking the law
                                  with polygamy, and eventhough a case can be made about how old the
                                  girls were with parental consent, it still boils down to polygamy.
                                  The people in law inforcement didn't commit homicide trying to get
                                  Jeff's out of his home, they simply served a warrant and he
                                  disapeared. He will be brought in and given a fair trial, unlike
                                  Koresh.

                                  Peace, Carla

                                  <lincolnproducts@...> wrote:

                                  > Carla:
                                  > Can you explain to us why the Jeffs case is different than
                                  the Koresh case?

                                  > Carla <cblackrun@...> wrote:
                                  > Hi Karen, I know you weren't responding to me but Mr.
                                  Jeff's charges
                                  > are legitimate and not even close to David Koresh... not even the
                                  > same thing. Mr. Jeff's needs to go to trial, where I'm sure he
                                  will
                                  > be found guilty. Probably because of the Waco experience they have
                                  > been really slow in responding to Mr. Jeff's charges. So slow that
                                  > he had time to disappear. My Lord, he has been missing for well
                                  > over a year.
                                  >
                                  > Peace, Carla
                                  >
                                  > --- In catholicquestions@yahoogroups.com, t_x_christian
                                  > <no_reply@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > I won't elaborate too much on this, as I myself am not educated
                                  on
                                  > > why he was wanted by the FBI. The main thing I heard was that
                                  > > children were involved, and that hits home for me. Children do
                                  > not
                                  > > have a voice in this.
                                  > >
                                  > > Karen
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In catholicquestions@yahoogroups.com, "lincolnproducts"
                                  > > <lincolnproducts@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Watching last night Fox News coverage of the capture of Mormon
                                  > > elder
                                  > > > Warren Jeffs, the media rats have already duly tired,
                                  convicted
                                  > and
                                  > > > sentenced this 'criminal' to the supermax bastille. However,
                                  > > > Jeffs' 'crimes' are no more than being a religious dissident.
                                  > > > The US was colonized by religious dissenters: Puritans,
                                  > Catholics,
                                  > > > Quakers, and Hugenots; and we have had a long history of
                                  > tolerating
                                  > > > religions that we don't agree with. However, this trend has
                                  > shifted
                                  > > > strongly during the last couple of decades. Religious leaders
                                  > who
                                  > > are
                                  > > > guilty of nothing more than coming into conflict with
                                  America's
                                  > new
                                  > > > god, the law, are subject to being hunted down like wild
                                  animals
                                  > > (i.e.
                                  > > > Warren Jeffs); murdered in cold blood (i.e., David Koresh); or
                                  > held
                                  > > up
                                  > > > to merciless media lampooning and smear attacks (i.e.,
                                  Catholics
                                  > > and
                                  > > > Jews).
                                  > > > This is a problem that we are going to have to face sooner or
                                  > > later
                                  > > > as a republic; is the law the highest power, or is God? The
                                  > > direction
                                  > > > our nation seems to have chosen is highly disturbing.
                                  > > >

                                  > ---------------------------------

                                • t_x_christian
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 4, 2006
                                    I think it may be easier said than done. These compounds don't have
                                    local media to educate these children...so no news, no newspaper, no
                                    magazines. I even heard that they don't even know who the President
                                    of the US is. All they have is this person telling them that
                                    everyone else (outside their compound) is going to hell and that
                                    everyone wants to kill them. They are literally scared to death of
                                    leaving. I think for some people thru abuse or what have you, would
                                    rather be killed than live the life they were living...that's why
                                    some left.

                                    You mentioned if you were brought up Catholic....I think that no
                                    matter what religion you were brought up in, it's a good chance you
                                    will stay that religion your whole life. I'm not saying majority or
                                    anything...but I still think the percentage would be a pretty high
                                    one. take me for instance...brought up Baptist but married into a
                                    Catholic family. I would have never even thought of becoming
                                    Catholic if it wasn't for my husband and his family. I knew nothing
                                    of it. It wasn't until later that I learned that Catholicism is the
                                    one True Church.

                                    <lincolnproducts@...> wrote:

                                    > Maybe they shouldn't suffer---but who is to make that
                                    judgement? I certainly don't trust the government or 'society' to do
                                    it. They could just as easily say that being brought up in a catholic
                                    household is equivalent to brainwashing---and use that as a
                                    justification for removing children.
                                    > The best we can hope for is that such children will grow up,
                                    see the light of reson and leave these cults. I know many cases where
                                    that has happened--without state interference. The best thing the
                                    government can do is uphold religious freedom so that they hve an
                                    opportunity to lave oppressive religious groups. Unfortuneately,
                                    we're moving the other way where the 'Cult of the State' is replacing
                                    rligion.

                                    > t_x_christian <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                    > Not necessarily. What about the children that are brought
                                    up into the
                                    > faith and are brainwashed. They don't know any better. Some of
                                    these
                                    > religions don't even leave their "compound", or allow tv or
                                    > newspapers. A lot of these people have no clue who the President of
                                    > the US is. They are kept there out of control. I don't feel these
                                    > people should suffer.
                                    >
                                    > karen
                                    >
                                    > --- In catholicquestions@yahoogroups.com, Eric Morrison
                                    > <lincolnproducts@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I think that if people choose to join religious cults, they have
                                    > suffer the consequences. This is an individual's choice to make for
                                    > himself, and not society's role to dictate it to him.

                                    Small Business.

                                  • Eric Morrison
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 4, 2006
                                      I agree with you that it wasn't cold-blooded murder like Koresh's case, but I have my doubts about how fair the trial's going to be.