RE: Catholic Questions Re: Christian Responses to Immigration Issues

  • Steven Lohrenz
    Message 1 of 41 , Apr 30, 2006

      “Then under this prespecive we shoul all love and respect all people as
      we would our own family.”

      Yes, of course, as was exemplified by Christ.

      “This is to include all I Iraqui national and all members of the muslem religions reguardless of their affiliations with the different terrorist organizations.”

      These people are no less deserving of our prayers than any other sinners. If you are alluding to the need for security, then I agree. A nation has a right to adopt a policy to protect its population, so that criminals (however defined) are not permitted to ravage their society. My point however is that a Christian might recognize that whatever the scenario, the person is still a person, and is still a creation of God, and deserving of due consideration regardless of what church they belong to or labels the state has placed on them. They may be sadly misinformed and led into the Islamic faith, however this doesn’t make them any less human or worthy of our care.

      “We should welcome them with open arms.”

      Interesting idea, but I didn’t say that.

      “Bring all our troups home and let them settle their own disputes.”

      Amen.

      “Then modify our beliefs to conform with theirs.”

      I can’t imagine how this has anything to do with what I said, except perhaps to suggest that unless a strong stance is taken against something, then we are to be seen as taking a strong stance for something. I disagree. I tend to disregard the comments people make such as, “learn English”, “my country”, and anything to suggest that someone is a danger simply because they are different. To me, these attitudes are born of pride, and Scripture tells where that comes from.

      -Br. Steven

      Message 41 of 41 , May 4, 2006

        Mexico like many "third world" nations are controlled by the wealthy 1% that don't care about the masses. In the United States , one percent of the people own 40 percent of the wealth. They do a good job of protecting their wealth and in expressing disdain for those poorer than they are.