RE: Catholic Questions Re: JESUS -> latest mail from Paul Lima

  • Marshall, Keith
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
      Hi Paul,

      So are you on some kind of mission to christians in the catholic church with the aim of challenging them about their beliefs? What is your church affiliation Paul? Your response to whit seems based on a misunderstanding of the christian culture in the catholic church.

      Only God can forgive sin but God works through flesh & blood people to proclaim the gospel in all its facets. And there is an undeniable emplasis on the human component AND delegated authority to forgive sins in the words of Jesus to the apostles & in the book of James ... confess your sins to one another ... Paul .. if you forgive anyone I also forgive (2 Cor 2). Knowing that on papper you are forgiven & hearing someone tell you you are forgiven are complementary.

      I know what your aiming at ... its the idea that faith is placed in people rather than in Jesus or the Father or the Holy Spirt ... I just think you've got it wrong. Faith isn't placed in people (priests ... any more than in any other church group where you might have elders or pastors or leaders) its in what they represent. It can be an enourmous relief to have someone say to you that God loves & forgives you ... even if you already know these things in your head. We are emotional creatures not simply intellectual recipients.

      I think your mails are aimed at a misunderstanding of what catholics believe & at the christian culture in the catholic church. You would do better seeking understanding rather than trying to educate brothers & sisters in Christ who may well have a more balanced & biblical undertanding than you do. It is relationship with God not bare intellectual truths that we should strive for.

      I wish you well Paul,

      regards,

      Keith