Re: Mass Journal

  • Ted Michael Morgan
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006

      I often keep the bulletin. We have an online church newsletter that features the text for the sermon. Our pastor usually follows the lectionary. Before the hurricane, we had a printed outline of the homiley. All of those help me.

      --- In catholicquestions@yahoogroups.com, salsaman60 <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > Dear Tracy. Not knowing where your Parish is located, it is
      > unfortunate that you forget the Homily of the presiding Priest. Here
      > in So. California, USA, most Parishes provide a missal on each pew,
      > with the daily Mass Scriptural readings. Also, a bulletin is given to
      > each parishioner on Sunday, showing the readings and Homily, for that
      > Sunday Mass. Question: is your Parish strapped for money? Can they
      > publish a weekly bulletin?
      >
      > Another method to obtain the Sunday Scriptural readings is from a
      > Catholic Calendar. Most calendars publish the Scriptural readings for
      > each Sunday Mass. You can then reflect on that Homily at your private
      > home.
      >
      > Fidel
      >

      > --- In catholicquestions@yahoogroups.com, Tracy Reid
      > ilovestorms@s... wrote:
      > >
      > > Has anyone ever kept a journal for when you go to mass? My problem
      > sometimes is that when I leave church I forget what we talked about.
      > I want to get something out of the homily and the readings and I
      > wonder if keeping a journal will help.
      > > Any ideas?
      > > Tracy

    • Tracy Reid
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
        Hi Fidel,

        We have the missal and the scriptures are available either online or in the bulletin.  I live in Houston, TX so there are 100s of Catholic churches here but I'm talking about the homily itself.  My problem is that I'm easily distracted.  Either I'm having the wrestle with my 2 year old or tell me 3.5 year old to be quite so I'll miss half the homily.  That and I have a wandering mind.  I do reflect on the scriptures and I don't forget those because I've heard them 1000 times, but the homily can often but those scriptures in perspective for me.  A journal might keep me thoughts organized.  Lately I've been going to mass alone (personal issues) so it wouldn't be too difficult to bring my journal with me.  Anyway, thanks for the info.
        Tracy

        <ilovestorms@s...> wrote:

        > Has anyone ever kept a journal for when you go to mass?  My problem
        sometimes is that when I leave church I forget what we talked about.
        I want to get something out of the homily and the readings and I
        wonder if keeping a journal will help.
        >   Any ideas?
        >   Tracy

      • Ted Michael Morgan
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2006

          You might talk to you priest about this. You are making a reasonable request. I don't know what the equipment costs to made CDs but I doubt it is expensive. We make only about ten in my Protestant congregtation. We charge a dollar for them. I play it on my computer. The outlines also help.  I don't have small children. I sit down front and sometimes I even attend more than one service. I still miss what my pastor says. Good luck.