Eye Examination

  • Ted Michael Morgan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
      Quick Eye Exam...

      Just do it - don't cheat!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Count the number of F's in the following text:

      FINISHED FILES ARE THE
      RESULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIFIC
      STUDY COMBINED WITH THE
      EXPERIENCE OF YEARS

      Managed it?

      Scroll down only after you have counted them!

      OK?

      How many?

      Three?

      Wrong, there are six - no joke!

      Read again!

      FINISHED FILES ARE THE
      RESULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIFIC
      STUDY COMBINED WITH THE
      EXPERIENCE OF YEARS

      The reasoning is further down...

      The brain cannot process the word "OF".

      Incredible or what?

      Anyone who counts all six F's on the first go is a genius
      Three is normal.

      Now forward this to your friends, but for the subject write if you
      got it right or wrong. And please don't lie because it will spoil all
      the fun of this forward!
    • the_spacemouse
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2005
        --- In catholicquestions@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Michael Morgan"
        <tmmorgan@b...> wrote:
        > Quick Eye Exam...

        Weird. I really did count only three. I want to question the reason
        they supply, though. I wonder if it has more to do with how we
        pronounce the word "of." I mean, we don't pronounce the "f" the way it
        is pronounced in "finished" or "scientific." It's more like a "v"
        sound, as in "oven." So if you read it and count the "eff" sounds you
        won't count "of" because it doesn't sound like an "eff".
      • bridget alabi
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2005
          I would think that it is because our mind automatically skips the OF's i.e. takes it for granted. I counted 3 too.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2005
            Your observation intrigues me. I did not count the letter "f" in "of"
            and I now recall seeing this exercise several years ago. For whatever
            reason, I did not notice the word.

            --- In catholicquestions@yahoogroups.com, the_spacemouse
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > --- In catholicquestions@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Michael Morgan"
            > <tmmorgan@b...> wrote:
            > > Quick Eye Exam...
            >
            > Weird. I really did count only three. I want to question the reason
            > they supply, though. I wonder if it has more to do with how we
            > pronounce the word "of." I mean, we don't pronounce the "f" the way
            it
            > is pronounced in "finished" or "scientific." It's more like a "v"
            > sound, as in "oven." So if you read it and count the "eff" sounds
            you
            > won't count "of" because it doesn't sound like an "eff".
          • *~Masters~*
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3, 2005
              i got 5. i missed the last of.

              brianna

              --- the_spacemouse <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              > --- In catholicquestions@yahoogroups.com, "Ted
              > Michael Morgan"
              > <tmmorgan@b...> wrote:
              > > Quick Eye Exam...
              >
              > Weird. I really did count only three. I want to
              > question the reason
              > they supply, though. I wonder if it has more to do
              > with how we
              > pronounce the word "of." I mean, we don't pronounce
              > the "f" the way it
              > is pronounced in "finished" or "scientific." It's
              > more like a "v"
              > sound, as in "oven." So if you read it and count
              > the "eff" sounds you
              > won't count "of" because it doesn't sound like an
              > "eff".

              Take time to Work ~ It is the price of success. Take time to Think ~ It is the source of power. Take time to Play ~ It is the secret of youth. Take time to read ~ It is the basis of wisdom. Take time to Worship ~ It fosters healthy reverence. Take time to be Friendly ~ It is the road to happiness. ~ Anonymous

              Yahoo! Sports
              http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
            • Ted Michael Morgan
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 3, 2005
                On my last review of the group, I counted five. I too missed one of
                the "of" words. It amazes me that I could miss one after I realised
                that I had missed two others. I wonder what happens in the brain.

                --- In catholicquestions@yahoogroups.com, *~Masters~*
                <brianna_revae@y...> wrote:
                > i got 5. i missed the last of.
                >
                > brianna
                >
                > --- the_spacemouse <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                >
                > > --- In catholicquestions@yahoogroups.com, "Ted
                > > Michael Morgan"
                > > <tmmorgan@b...> wrote:
                > > > Quick Eye Exam...
                > >
                > > Weird. I really did count only three. I want to
                > > question the reason
                > > they supply, though. I wonder if it has more to do
                > > with how we
                > > pronounce the word "of." I mean, we don't pronounce
                > > the "f" the way it
                > > is pronounced in "finished" or "scientific." It's
                > > more like a "v"
                > > sound, as in "oven." So if you read it and count
                > > the "eff" sounds you
                > > won't count "of" because it doesn't sound like an
                > > "eff".
                > >

                > Take time to Work ~ It is the price of success. Take time to Think
                ~ It is the source of power. Take time to Play ~ It is the secret of
                youth. Take time to read ~ It is the basis of wisdom. Take time to
                Worship ~ It fosters healthy reverence. Take time to be Friendly ~ It
                is the road to happiness. ~ Anonymous

                > Yahoo! Sports
              • *~Masters~*
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 4, 2005
                  LOL. me too. i saw clearly the first 2 ofs, but
                  totally missed the 6th. i was shocked.

                  brianna