The need for an atonement of sin

  • chayashida2002
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
      Why does there have to be an atonement for sin in order for God to
      forgive us of our sins? God's justice demands that there is
      punishment for sin. If there were no punishment for sin, then God's
      justice would be perverted. Committing sin has a penalty and that
      penalty must be paid for or else God's justice would be perverted.
      Since Jesus paid the penalty for sin, God is able to forgive us.

      How was God able to forgive people of their sins before Jesus made
      an atonement for sin? The people in the Old Testament knew that in
      the future the Messiah would come and make an atonement for sin.
      When God saw that people were placing their faith in what the
      Messiah would do in the future, God forgave them. God designed
      Christ's atonement so that it could apply to those who lived before
      Jesus was born.

      Some people say that if Jesus was punished in the place of others,
      then this would be unjust because it is unjust for an innocent
      person to receive a guilty person's punishment. My response is that
      this is not unjust because Jesus was willing to be punished in the
      place of the guilty and God the Father was willing to accept what
      Jesus wanted to do.
    • chayashida2002
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
        If Jesus was not sacrificed on the cross, God could not forgive us.
        Hebrews 9:22 says, "And according to the Law, one may almost say all
        things are cleansed with blood, and without shedding of blood there
        is no forgiveness."

        Jesus Christ's death on the cross was a sacrifice. Hebrews 10:12
        says, "but He, having offered one sacrifice for sins for all time,
        sat down at the right hand of God,".

        1 John 1:7 says,"but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the
        Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus
        His Son cleanses us from all sin.". Why does the blood of Jesus wash
        away our sins, if God does not allow sacrifices?
      • Howard
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
          chayashida2002 wrote:
          > If Jesus was not sacrificed
          on the cross, God could not
          forgive us.

          Howard wrote:
          ... I take it that you don't
          read the Bible very often?
          Or if you do you tend to pick
          and choose what you want to
          believe in discard what is
          uncomfortable or goes against
          your basic belief models.
          Your statement above would
          have to be judged against
          the following versus: (as
          you can see all of these
          sayings take place BEFORE
          the crucifixion )

          Mark 1: 4 John the Baptist was in the desert,
          proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the
          forgiveness of sins.

          Luke 3: 3 He went through the whole Jordan
          area proclaiming a baptism of repentance for
          the forgiveness of sins,

          Num19:In your most faithful love, please
          forgive this people's guilt, as you have
          done from Egypt until now.'
          20 Yahweh said, 'I forgive them as you ask.

          Mat 6:14 For if you forgive others their
          trespasses, your heavenly Father will
          also forgive you;
          15 but if you do not forgive others,
          neither will your Father forgive your sins.

          Mar11:25 "Whenever you stand praying,
          forgive, if you have anything against
          anyone; so that yur Father in heaven
          may also forgive you your sins."

          Luke6:37 "Do not judge, and you will not
          be judged; do not condemn, and you will
          not be condemned. Forgive, and you will
          be forgiven;

          Luke 11: He said to them, "When you pray,
          say: Father, hallowed be your name.
          Your kingdom come.
          3 Give us each day our daily bread.
          4 And forgive us our sins, for we ourselves
          forgive everyone indebted to us. And do
          not bring us to the time of trial."