Re: Religion in general

  • kevlunn
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 2003
      Joe:

      --- In catholicquestions@yahoogroups.com, "schellingian"
      <schellingian@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Kev,
      >
      > I have two more questions that serve as my response to your
      >
      > Can something come from nothing? And I mean if there is an
      absolute
      > void or vaccum at the beginning, can something come from that?

      But no-one knows what existed 'at the beginning' or if there ever
      was a 'beginning'. For all we know 'the universe' is a zoo created
      by other beings for their entertainment. We can all theorise - but
      I don't believe that it helps to 'create' explanations to answer the
      unexplainable!

      > The second question is this. If there is no God, then what is the
      > ground of the universe? Can it really be that a collection of
      finite
      > contingent realities be their own source of existence in an
      ultimate
      > sense.

      Why not?

      > The inference of a necessary existence was made by philosophers
      such
      > as Aristotle because an infinite regress of finite realities that
      do
      > not have the source of existence within themselves is an absurdity.

      But only because your religious beliefs say so!

      Kev
    • schellingian
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 3, 2003
        Actually, kev, I think it is because reason says so. One need not be
        religious to come to these conclusions. I would not call Aristotle
        religious.

        Joe

        --- In catholicquestions@yahoogroups.com, "kevlunn" <kevlunn@b...>