Re: What am i doing wrong?

  • mili_cat
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2003
      My husband (a lifelong Catholic) suffers from these same kinds of
      feelings. I believe that he is scrupulous, and that may be your
      problem as well. A scrupulous person sees mortal sin where none
      exists. For a mortal sin to occur, there are three conditions: grave
      matter, full knowledge and free consent of the will. Stubbing your
      toe and using the Lord's name in vain is not a mortal sin. In all
      likelihood, the shock from the pain removes your free consent. Also,
      habit usually also lessons your free consent. So if you have a sin
      you have committed for years and are struggling to overcome it, if
      you fail that is not necessarily a mortal sin.

      The best thing to do is to find a good holy priest to use as a
      confessor and spiritual director. Take his advice. Go only to
      confession to him. He will probably tell you not to go to confession
      more often than every two weeks. Listen when he tells you what is
      sinful and what is not. Scrupulosity is a common problem. The Church
      ought to offer peace, not anxiety. Your journey from a sinful
      wretched being to a perfect glorified being is a long one, and will
      only be completed after your death. Remember that the Lord came to
      suffer and die for you, and He established His Church to give you
      that grace. Trust in His merciful love!