Does anyone know of a good bible study program?

  • pattimom2cole
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2006
      Hi, A friend of mine and I are considering starting a small bible
      study ,perhaps just the two of us? We are both catechists at our
      church. Does anyone know of a good Catholic bible study program that
      would feed us so we,in turn, could feed others at our church? Thank
      you and blessings, Patti
    • Diana Hickman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2006
        I like this one, but my parish doesn't have a group and I'm still learning
        and can't start one yet, but this one looked good...

        http://css.catholicexchange.com/

        Hope this helps...Di

        Hi, A friend of mine and I are considering starting a small bible
        study ,perhaps just the two of us? We are both catechists at our
        church. Does anyone know of a good Catholic bible study program that
        would feed us so we,in turn, could feed others at our church? Thank
        you and blessings, Patti

        School teacher

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Visit your group "catholicfaitheducation" on the web.

      • gilles
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006
          Catholic Home Study Service sponsored by the Vincentian Community and
          the Missouri Knights of Columbus, offers free correspondence courses
          on the Catholic Faith. See http://www.amm.org/chss/chss.htm .

          Among these is a course on the Bible:

          A CATHOLIC GUIDE TO THE BIBLE
          Explains Catholic principles of interpreting the Bible. Takes the
          student through the Bible, offering pertinent information about the
          historical background, author, and literary style of each book.
          Selects readable passages from each book of the Bible so that the
          student can become familiar with the whole Bible and understand it as
          the Word of God.

          The material for the course is written by Father Oscar Lukefahr, C.M.
          who is the Director of Catholic Home Study Service. Father Lukefahr is
          an excellent teacher who uses concrete illustrations in his
          explanations. I have read the book that is part of this correspondence
          course and have found it well written, easy and enjoyable to read, and
          faithful to Church teachings. Registering for the course (totally free
          unless you wish to make a donation) also provides you with the
          possibility of asking questions via email and getting feedback on
          homework assignments provided with the course material.

          There are also 6 other free correspondence courses offered by Catholic
          Home Study. I have not looked at them yet, but the material is also
          written by Father Lukefahr and I assume it is just as good. I list
          them below for those who might be interested:

          WE WORSHIP—A GUIDE TO THE CATHOLIC MASS
          This course tells why Jesus wants us to attend Mass, gives the
          fascinating history of the Mass, explains Mass ceremonies step by
          step, shows how to pray the Mass, answers frequently asked questions,
          and describes how to live the Mass after we leave to "love and serve
          the Lord." Foreword by Most Rev. Timothy M. Dolan, Archbishop of
          Milwaukee.

          WE BELIEVE... A SURVEY OF THE CATHOLIC FAITH
          An explanation of Catholic teaching, cross-referenced to the Catechism
          of the Catholic Church and following the same structure as the
          Catechism: Creed, worship, Christian life, and prayer. The course
          studies belief in God, the Bible, the life and teaching of Jesus, the
          Church, Mary, the saints, life after death, the Sacraments, moral
          living, and Catholic prayer. Foreword by Cardinal Justin Rigali,
          Archbishop of Philadelphia.

          THE SEARCH FOR HAPPINESS
          Everybody wants to be happy, and God wants us to be happy. This
          course explains the four levels of happiness (body, mind and will,
          heart, soul) and uses Scripture, stories, and common-sense to help us
          achieve emotional health, spiritual growth, and real happiness.

          THE PRIVILEGE OF BEING CATHOLIC
          Explains the most distinctive beliefs of Catholics and points out how
          they are based on the goodness of God's creation, our Redemption by
          Jesus, and the love of the Holy Spirit. Shows what it means to be a
          Catholic, and why we believe as we do, explaining the reasons for
          doctrines like the Real Presence, confession, sacramentals, and
          devotion to the saints.

          THE CATECHISM HANDBOOK
          A summary and study of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Condenses
          the Catechism into a brief and readable format, and offers
          explanations of difficult passages. A good way to become familiar with
          the whole Catechism in a short time.

          CHRIST'S MOTHER AND OURS
          This course explains what the Bible says about Mary, what the Church
          teaches, Mary's apparitions, how Mary relates to us in our daily
          lives, prayer and liturgy relating to Mary, the meaning of the Rosary,
          Marian sacramentals, and more. It will help you understand Catholic
          devotion to Mary and explain it to others.

          Gilles
          Resources for Catholic Educators
          http://www.silk.net/RelEd/

          --- In catholicfaitheducation@yahoogroups.com, "pattimom2cole"