This devotion can be used today as valid--simple and easy

  • Brad Lifto
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2008
      Chaplet of the Five Wounds
      http://www.cpprovince.org/archives/thepassionist/chaplet-5wounds-confraternity.php

      From the Manual of the Confraternity of the Passion
      pp. 104-108. The Passionist Fathers, West Springfield, MA. 1955.

      Various Religious Orders have introduced the use of beads in order to spread
      their particular devotion.Thus the Servites have the Seven Dolor Beads, the
      Crozier Fathers have the Crozier Beads and the Brigitines have the Brigitine
      Beads.

      In the same way the Passionist Fathers have the Chaplet of the Five Wounds,
      as a means to promote devotion to the Sacred Passion of Christ in the hearts
      of the faithful.

      The Chaplet or Rosary of the Five Wounds consists of five sections of beads,
      usually joined by medals on which are represented the Wounds of our Savior's
      Feet, Hands and Sacred Heart.

      The essential manner of saying this Chaplet is to recite fiveGlory be to the
      Fathers and one Hail Mary on each section of the beads; Reflecting
      meanwhile, on the Five Holy Wounds of Our Savior; namely His Sacred Hands,
      Feet and Heart.

      INDULGENCES
      What Indulgences may be gained by saying the Chaplet of the Five Wounds, we
      know from two Pontifical Decrees. First that of Pope Leo XII, of Dec. 20,
      1823, and that of Pope Pius IX, of August 11, 1851. These two Decrees list
      the following Indulgences:

      I. A Plenary Indulgence, once a day, may be gained:

      a) On one Friday during the month of March, by those who have recited the
      Beads at least ten times during the same month.

      b) On the Feasts of the Finding and Exaltation of the Holy Cross, the
      Nativity of Our Lord, the Epiphany, the Most Holy Name of Jesus, the
      Resurrection, Ascension, Corpus Christi and the Transfiguration of Our Lord
      Jesus Christ; or during their Octaves, by those who have recited the Chaplet
      devoutly at least ten times during each month.

      c) On the day on which they fulfill their Easter Duty, by those who recite
      the Beads during the time from Passion Sunday to Holy Saturday inclusively.
      All the above indulgences require, furthermore, the general conditions of
      Confession, Holy Communion, visit to some church or public Chapel, and
      prayer for the intention of the Pope.

      II. A Partial Indulgence of:

      a) Seven years, each day from Passion Sunday to Holy Saturday inclusively,
      under the "usual conditions", by those who recite the Chaplet devoutly.

      b) One year, once a day, during all the rest of the year, by those who have
      recited the Beads devoutly, and with sorrow of heart.

      All the Indulgences attached to the recitation of the Five Wound Chaplet may
      be gained for onesself, or applied to the Suffering Souls in Purgatory. To
      gain the Indulgences the Chaplet of the Five Wounds must be blessed by the
      Father General of the Passionist Congregation or by some Passionist Father,
      or another priest having the faculties from Father General.

      Another Method of Saying the Five Wound Chaplet
      V. Incline unto my aid, O God.

      R. O Lord, make haste to help me.

      V. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost.

      R. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end.
      Amen.
      "Holy Mother! pierce me through;
      In my heart each wound renew
      Of my Savior crucified."

      First Wound--The Left Foot.
      My Crucified Jesus, I devoutly adore the painful wound of Thy Left Foot. Ah!
      by the pain which Thou didst feel therein, and by the blood which Thou didst
      shed from that foot, grant me the grace to fly the occasions of sin, and not
      to walk in the way of iniquity, which leads to perdition.

      Glory be to the Father, etc., five times.

      One Hail, Mary! and Holy Mother! pierce me, etc., as above.

      Second Wound-The Right Foot.
      My Crucified Jesus, I devoutly adore the painful wound of Thy Right Foot.
      Ah! by the pain which Thou didst feel therein, and by the blood which Thou
      didst shed from that foot, grant me the grace to walk constantly in the way
      of Christian virtue, even to the entrance of Paradise.

      Glory be to the Father, etc., five times.

      One Hail, Mary! and Holy Motherl etc., as before.

      Third Wound-The Left Hand.
      My Crucified Jesus, I devoutly adore the painful wound of Thy Left Hand. Ah!
      by the pain which Thou didst feel therein, and by the blood which Thou didst
      shed from that hand, deliver me from being found at Thy left hand with the
      reprobate, at the last judgment.

      Glory be to the Father, five times.

      One Hail, Mary! and Holy Mother! etc., as before.

      Fourth Wound-The Right Hand.
      My Crucified Jesus, I devoutly adore the painful wound of Thy Right Hand.
      Ah! by the pain which Thou didst feel therein, and by the blood which Thou
      didst shed from that hand, bless my soul and conduct it to Thy kingdom.

      Glory be to the Father, etc., five times.

      One Hail, Mary! and Holy Mother! etc., as before.

      Fifth Wound-The Side
      My Crucified Jesus, I devoutly adore the wound in Thy Sacred Side. Ah! by
      the blood which Thou didst shed from it, enkindle in my heart the fire of
      Thy love, and give me grace to persevere in loving Thee for all eternity.

      Glory be to the Father, etc., five times.

      One Hail, Mary! and Holy Mother! etc., as before.

      (Either of the above methods of reciting the Chaplet suffice to gain all the
      indulgences.)

      Also see: Article in The Passionist December 1951
      on The Chaplet of the Five Wounds

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs