A Question

  • GeorgeMVW
    Message 1 of 905 , Nov 4, 2000
      HI, my name is George V and I have been a member
      of St. Philomena Parish in CHi, IL for 50
      years.<br><br>Now, we have had a rather sad situation in our parish
      recently -<br><br>our former pastor announced to all that
      he was an alcholic and was going to a Catholic
      hospital facitiliy in MInn to seek treatment - so, that
      left us with only one full time assistant and no
      pastor.<br><br>We do have five full time deacons (one fem and
      Spanish BTW) and four deacons the have said oru
      services.<br><br>We have had two services Mon-Fri - Engligh at 7:00
      am and Spanish at 6:15 pm - with no
      problems.<br><br>We were just informed two weeks ago that SOMEONE had
      made the decision that NOW we will have ONLY ONE MASS
      A DAY - as do most other parishes.<br><br>Only one
      Problem:<br><br>Mon of this week NO ONE AT ALL showed up for our 6:15
      pm evening service.<br><br>Thurs, ALl Souls Days the
      10:00 am Mass that was scheduled did NOT take place
      because NO ONE WAS THERE - our One Priest, Fr. Scott
      Hebden was nowhere to be found - despite the fact that
      this was SUPPOSED TO BE A SPECIAL MASS.<br><br>Now,
      Today Sat - we have a sign on the front door of church
      stating "No COnfessions Today" - we normally have
      confessions on Sat afternoon afer 4:00 pm.<br><br>Now, our
      new Mass Schedule is for ONE Mass at 4:30 pm Mon-Fri
      - I don't know who was smoking what when they
      arrived at that time, but that is the decision of our
      resident priest, who is also never seen around but seems
      to have been gifted by God with some magical gifts
      to discren these things.<br><br>Now, here is the
      missed and not taking place?<br><br>A "full time"
      assistant (priest) that we never see?<br><br>A New Mass
      Schedule that NO ONE WAS CONSULTED about, and that VERY
      FER PEOPLE WILL be able to attend?<br><br>Is there
      SOMETHING WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?<br><br>Well, call St.
      Philomena Parish at:<br><br>(773) 489-1100 - and ASK
      THEM.<br><br>Just wanted to let you guys, and the Archidiocese of
      Chicago know about some shenanigans going on in this
      George M Weinert V
    • harry1939
      Message 905 of 905 , Sep 8, 2002
        --- In catholic3@y..., Harry1939 wrote:
        > To all my brother and sister, Knights and Ladies
        > as we gather in our several worships spaces all
        > across this nation on this holy of days for us, Happy
        > Peter Claver Day. <br>May all all of our Liturgies be
        > faith fill with the love of Christ that only Peter
        > Claver can bring out of us on this day.<br>Be blessed
        > and may we never forget those who have gone before us
        > in the name of Jesus, the Christ and His servant,
        > Saint Peter Claver.<br><br>Brother Harry L Wiley, Jr.,
        > the <br>Church of Los Angeles

        Home Saints & Angels CCN News & Media Prayers Library
        CatholicShopping.com Forum E-Mail Search

        About Catholic Online
        Featured Today
        Catholic Saints
        CCN News & Media
        Catholic Library
        Catholic Life
        Family Community Charities
        Catholic Forums
        Catholic Singles
        Catholic Roots
        Catholic Online Services
        Bookstore
        Shopping
        Sites Hosted

        Saints Index

        Saint of the
        Day

        Angel Pages

        Saints Calendar

        All About
        Saints

        Patron Saints

        Doctors of the Church

        COL Forum

        Feastday List

        Search Saints

        Catholic Online Saints
        St. Peter Claver
        d. b: 1580 d: 1654 Feastday: September 9th Patron Saint of Negro
        Missions

        St. Peter Claver was born at Verdu, Catalonia, Spain, in 1580, of
        impoverished parents descended from ancient and distinguished
        families. He studied at the Jesuit college of Barcelona, entered the
        Jesuit novitiate at Tarragona in 1602 and took his final vows on
        August 8th, 1604. While studying philosophy at Majorca, the young
        religious was influenced by St. Alphonsus Rodriguez to go to the
        Indies and save "millions of perishing souls."

        In 1610, he landed at Cartagena (modern Colombia), the principle
        slave market of the New World, where a thousand slaves were landed
        every month. After his ordination in 1616, he dedicated himself by
        special vow to the service of the Negro slaves-a work that was to
        last for thirty-three years. He labored unceasingly for the salvation
        of the African slaves and the abolition of the Negro slave trade, and
        the love he lavished on them was something that transcended the
        natural order.

        Boarding the slave ships as they entered the harbor, he would hurry
        to the revolting inferno of the hold, and offer whatever poor
        refreshments he could afford; he would care for the sick and dying,
        and instruct the slaves through Negro catechists before administering
        the Sacraments. Through his efforts three hundred thousand souls
        entered the Church. Furthermore, he did not lose sight of his
        converts when they left the ships, but followed them to the
        plantations to which they were sent, encouraged them to live as
        Christians, and prevailed on their masters to treat them humanely. He
        died in 1654.

        Copyright 1996-2000 Terry Matz. All Rights Reserved.

        << Back

        ©1999-2000 Catholic Online. All Rights Reserved.

        Saints Homepage | Saints Index | Search | Catholic Online | Email Us

        Advertise with Us | COL Services | Privacy Notice | Terms of Service
        | Copyright © 2002 Catholic Online
        Make Catholic Online Your Homepage | Tell a Friend