Query on furling line size....

  • Dick Barnes
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2008
      Howdy all...

      I'm replacing the furling line on my Shaefer furler....the Catalina manual calls for 5/16" line...but that looks too thick...not sure the drum would hold it all....it looks like 1/4" is what I have now.

       Any and all guidance welcomed. Thanks.

      Dick Barnes
      Newsboy
      1996 C28 Mk II
      Long Beach, Calif
    • bstreet71
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2008
        If the line won't fit on the drum you can remove the core from the
        first 10 feet or so and it will lay flat thus allowing it to fit on
        the drum. Just wiggle a little access hole with a not sharp object
        through the outer braid and cut the core, it will pull out from the
        end. I had 5/16", I replaced it with 1/4", if you ever pulled hard
        enough on that 1/4" line to break it you'd likely have some other
        problem like a wrapped halyard, but the 1/4" is certainly harder on
        the hands than 5/16".

        Bud

        --- In catalina28@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Barnes" <dickbarnes@...> wrote:

        > Howdy all...
        >
        > I'm replacing the furling line on my Shaefer furler....the Catalina
        manual calls for 5/16" line...but that looks too thick...not sure the
        drum would hold it all....it looks like 1/4" is what I have now.

        > Any and all guidance welcomed. Thanks.
        >
        > Dick Barnes
        > Newsboy
        > 1996 C28 Mk II
        > Long Beach, Calif

      • Real Name
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2008
          Hi Dick,

          I asked another furling line question here a few weeks ago - you
          might like to take a look at those responses. There were suggestions
          of thinner line, as well as removing 10-15' of the rope core on the
          furler end. I replaced my line with 5/16" and ended up with the new
          line bunching up. I experimented a little with the block closest to
          the drum - moving it to different heights and still getting the
          bunching problem. I then moved that block to the closest vertical
          bar to the drum and tried to line it up perpendicular to the center
          of the drum. So far, it's behaved perfectly.

          Good luck!

          John
          99 C28 mkII
          Rocinante #608